Quique Setien

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There is another candidate. Jordi Roche. He has Rosell's support.

Jordi Roche's profile:
"Jordi Roche has made quite a career in football offices, but never linked with Barca. In 2001 he took the presidency of Girona, in a mandate that extended in 2005 when he jumped to the leadership of the Catalan Football Federation. His link with Barca comes mainly from his friendship with Sandro Rosell. Both in 2010 with Rosell and in 2015 with Bartomeu he had the opportunity to enter the board of directors. In both cases, he refused that option."

https://www.culemania.com/palco/quien-es-jordi-roche_339708_102.html

He's still undecided on whether he want to run from what I've read.

I think Xavi openly being with Font have the edge still, and there might be a few more ex-players endorsing him.

As long as Rosell doesn't run I'm okay, because some polls have shown he'd be the overwhelming favorite if he returns. So far he's said he's done with it and even promised his mom he'll never run again :lol:

Alik

He's still undecided on whether he want to run from what I've read.

I think Xavi openly being with Font have the edge still, and there might be a few more ex-players endorsing him.

As long as Rosell doesn't run I'm okay, because some polls have shown he'd be the overwhelming favorite if he returns. So far he's said he's done with it and even promised his mom he'll never run again :lol:

My sources say he will run ;)

I'm not sure how good his chances are. Laporta and Font are more well-known, although there is still time and that may change.

Yea, I wouldn't mind any of them, at this stage, as long as it's not Rosell.

El Gato

Villarato!
A dude who's never been associated with Barca is running to be Barca president? That sounds a likely resolution.

serghei

When this guy claims they're playing great football that's good enough to win the CL and Messi comes out saying he's wrong and they have to play much better then well....I don't know.

I hope Setien isn't as clueless and blind as some of his comments have suggested.

Messi was wrong to publicly say that. The reality is that he's not good captain material. Glad Setien called him on that.

When did Setien say they're playing great football? Didn't Sarabia, his assistant, go under fire in the media for being pissed at the players, just before the lockdown?

They know what's wrong with the team, they just don't have the power to change things drastically. Because the things they would have to do would be extremely unpopular. That sort of power is usually handed to tier 1 managers.

This team doesn't have the legs to compete against the best physically. That's because everything in the team is done around Messi, Suarez, Pique and the rest of the veterans, who, let's face it, are slow and past it at a certain level. No hattricks against Leganes will change that.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

I am pretty sure Messi said that we wont won the CL the way we are playing, not that the squad is not good enough. Was just a massive mistranslation.

Richard.H

Messi was wrong to publicly say that. The reality is that he's not good captain material. Glad Setien called him on that.

When did Setien say they're playing great football? Didn't Sarabia, his assistant, go under fire in the media for being pissed at the players, just before the lockdown?

They know what's wrong with the team, they just don't have the power to change things drastically. Because the things they would have to do would be extremely unpopular. That sort of power is usually handed to tier 1 managers.

This team doesn't have the legs to compete against the best physically. That's because everything in the team is done around Messi, Suarez, Pique and the rest of the veterans, who, let's face it, are slow and past it at a certain level. No hattricks against Leganes will change that.

It's a very tough job for Setien. He basically has to keep the amigos happy, but his history shows that he will go against the grain if he doesn't like something. I predict his departure would be due to a big disagreement with the locker room, not due to lack of trophies/bad playing style.

The best we can hope for is La Liga+CDR for the next three-four years (until all amigos are gone). CL would be a massive stretch, and a huge achievement for this aging squad.

An alternative solution is that Setien somehow manages to break up the amigos (with the backing of a new president perhaps) and we get a massive squad overhaul. Very unlikely I would say even with a new president.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

No, he wasn't.

They weren't playing well enough to win the CL. Setien can believe they played up to that standard, but he's a 61 year old mediocre manager managing a team way above his pay grade that has no Champions League experience.

I know you might believe we were looking promising and doing better, but they really weren't.

If Setien believes playing at Real Betis level can win the CL then he's clueless. As simple as that, and he is rightfully called out for having such low expectations.

Messi is right. They need to play better. He also said this rest might end up benefitting the team.

Horatio

You're welcome
It's a very tough job for Setien. He basically has to keep the amigos happy, but his history shows that he will go against the grain if he doesn't like something. I predict his departure would be due to a big disagreement with the locker room, not due to lack of trophies/bad playing style.

The best we can hope for is La Liga+CDR for the next three-four years (until all amigos are gone). CL would be a massive stretch, and a huge achievement for this aging squad.

An alternative solution is that Setien somehow manages to break up the amigos (with the backing of a new president perhaps) and we get a massive squad overhaul. Very unlikely I would say even with a new president.

Where did Setien call him out on it?

Richard.H

Where did Setien call him out on it?

Are you referring to Serghei's post? Setien hasn't called Messi out for not being a good captain.

I was referring to other parts of his post, mainly Sarabia getting mad at the players and not having the power to change anything.

serghei

"Called him out" as in he publicly said he doesn't agree with what Messi said.

I hope he stays true to his way of seeing the game and leaves then. If a manager is not allowed to implement his style, then he should leave. Simple as. Or do like Valverde, try to stay as long as possible, let everyone stomp on you, make the veterans see you as the good uncle that doesn't rock the boat, and lie to the fans everything is fine after every European humiliation.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
Wonderful how the squad is divided in the groups of 10 they're training in now.

Amigos: Messi, Suarez, Alba, Pique, Busi, Vidal, Roberto, Ansu, Riqui and Araujo

Group 2: The rest

serghei

Anyway, what's the most hilarious in all of this, is how we are talking about laziness, amigos, crap board, and everything. And despite all of this SHIT, we are still managing to be better than Madrid.

:lol:

Which makes Wolfe's ironies even more funny.

El Gato

Villarato!
serghei, you are a pisser to read mate :lol: Anything to distract and deflect from having to admit you're putting faith in wrong people :lol:

Them salty edits about Valverde :lol:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans