Page 179 of 260 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 3900

Thread: Quique Setien

  1. #2671
    Valverde Cultist
    Messigician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by JamDav1982 View Post
    Willian is the far better player in comparison to Malcolm.

    Malcolm was decent nothing special maybe could have played more but EV played plenty of players in their early 20s as well.

    Mina at the time he was at Barca had folk complaining on here about him not being played enough... by time he was sold most realised they were wrong and it was a good sale.

    Dembele, Semedo, FDJ, Arthur, Lenglet all bought in early 20s and got plenty of time. It was nothing to do with EV picking on Malcolm as he was young. He gave Fati minutes at 16 as well.

    Malcolm was a good sale as well for what he had shown and where would of been rated on market.
    This tbh

  2. #2672
    Valverde Cultist
    Messigician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    Willian is half a level above Malcom only, and he's also 8 years older. Which is a lot. Malcolm proved he should've played more on the field, but he never got the chance and the trust to do so.

    No, Mina was a good sell because his value was too high to pass the chance to move him after a great World Cup. Malcom was not.

    When Malcom had top games when given a chance, games with goals and assist, he was usually rewarded with several games in a row not getting any minute, that's how fucked up his treatment was. Usually, when a player is in good form, especially a young player, you play him in the next games, at least some minutes to give him confidence. With EV, all that followed after promising performance was loooong periods of bench time. Very good way of making sure a young player never gets a real chance to show his worth. Just play him when some starter is injured (Messi) and bench him almost permanently after that player is back. No matter if he played well in those games.

    He never got a fair shot. EV never sensed how to treat the young players. That's why he was so shit at developing them.
    Hmmmm yet EV was known for developing youth at Bilbao and was the one to give Fati his big break here.

    But sure he is anti youth

  3. #2673
    Senior Member
    Vilarrubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Messigician View Post
    Hmmmm yet EV was known for developing youth at Bilbao and was the one to give Fati his big break here.

    But sure he is anti youth
    You do realise at Bilbao developing and promoting youth players is something you can’t avoid when you can only choose Basque players lol every manager at Bilbao has to do it so it’s irrelevant.

  4. #2674
    Senior Member
    Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,117
    EV played Fati only because he had no other options. If 35 year old Iniesta stayed, he would have probably played on the LW before Fati.

  5. #2675
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    21,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post
    EV played Fati only because he had no other options. If 35 year old Iniesta stayed, he would have probably played on the LW before Fati.
    Not true.

    Folk were discussing the options and there were others ahead of playing a 16 year old seen as more likely. Even if playing others out of position or changing formation.

  6. #2676
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    21,661
    Playing Fati is probably the only real thing Ernie did for youth in all his 2.5 years at the club. And even that was favored by a lot of starters up front being injured in the first months of the season.

  7. #2677
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    21,558
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    Playing Fati is probably the only real thing Ernie did for youth in all his 2.5 years at the club. And even that was favored by a lot of starters up front being injured in the first months of the season.
    What are you classing as 'youth' and who should have been given more chances?

    Valverde chose Fati a lot when had other options every time. Youngsters often do get their first chances due to injury especially if as young as that. He continued to get chances after he got a got in and did well.

    He gave likes of Malcolm more chances than what is claimed on here.

  8. #2678
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    21,661
    He gave likes of Malcom crap minutes.

    You know how many full games Malcom got with Messi and Suarez starting alongside him? ZERO.

    When he played there were mostly crap minutes, with the likes of Boateng playing up front. Or games early on in the Copa in formations with no chemistry.

    Only real games he got fair chances in La Liga was the Villareal away game. Scored and assisted in that game. Another one was the Madrid clasico at home. Scored in that one too.

    Hell, even in the Villareal game, Messi and Suarez were rested. I think even the clasico in the Copa, Messi got injured or something. He was almost never played with the standard attack in a meaningful game. Like, Malcom - Suarez - Messi. Not once I think. Or at least I don't remember.

  9. #2679
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    21,558
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    He gave likes of Malcom crap minutes.

    You know how many full games Malcom got with Messi and Suarez starting alongside him? ZERO.

    When he played there were mostly crap minutes, with the likes of Boateng playing up front. Or games early on in the Copa in formations with no chemistry.

    Only real games he got fair chances in La Liga was the Villareal away game. Scored and assisted in that game. Another one was the Madrid clasico at home. Scored in that one too.

    Hell, even in the Villareal game, Messi and Suarez were rested. He was almost never played with the full team in a meaningful game.
    You still going with the myth that Malcolm never got a chance when scored/assisted?

    Malcom started double figure games and was average at best in most. He had chances to show more and didnt. About only time felt unfair on him was when scored v Real and did quite well then barely played for weeks.

    You classing him as a youngster? He the only one?

  10. #2680
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    21,661
    Quote Originally Posted by JamDav1982 View Post
    You still going with the myth that Malcolm never got a chance when scored/assisted?

    Malcom started double figure games and was average at best in most. He had chances to show more and didnt. About only time felt unfair on him was when scored v Real and did quite well then barely played for weeks.

    You classing him as a youngster? He the only one?
    Yea, we clearly don't see eye to eye as to what represents chances. Getting ZERO (0!!!) full games together with the 2 stars up front is not a fair chance. You're not maximizing the chances of this player getting confidence and building top form.

    Todibo? His treatment was insanely bad. Playing crooked and finished Umtiti and not giving Todibo almost any chance. Until he hanged him up to dry in an experimental formula vs two of the most in form strikers in Europe. And guess what, the kid impressed and held his own with almost no games under his belt.

  11. #2681
    You're welcome
    Horatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Basque Country
    Posts
    9,188
    Unless I am confusing him with someone else, Tobido looked awful most of his appearances. Nervous as hell.

  12. #2682
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    21,558
    [QUOTE=serghei;2163194]Yea, we clearly don't see eye to eye as to what represents chances. Getting ZERO (0!!!) full games together with the 2 stars up front is not a fair chance. You're not maximizing the chances of this player getting confidence and building top form.

    Todibo? His treatment was insanely bad. Playing crooked and finished Umtiti and not giving Todibo almost any chance. Until he hanged him up to dry in an experimental formula vs two of the most in form strikers in Europe. And guess what, the kid impressed and held his own.[/QUOTE

    On one breath you claim Suarez and Messi make it difficult to play with then next breath state youngsters should be picked with those two to prove themselves.

    He got a fair chance other than Real when we dont know the reasons why EV did not fancy him for following games either.

    Players at club like Barca have to take their chances when given. How many games with Messi and Suarez has Fati needed? He got his place and chances based more on what he did when both not available.

    Players have to take their chances to impress when they get them. With or without both Messi and Suarez and he didnt.

    Todibo was not treated 'insanely bad' at all. Umtiti is a better CB than him and plays on left and club want him to get minutes. Simple.

    Even when he gets a chance you make out as if it was a negative.

  13. #2683
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    21,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Unless I am confusing him with someone else, Tobido looked awful most of his appearances. Nervous as hell.
    Most of his appearances? I think he had only two of note. Sevilla and Inter. Was ok vs Sevilla, and good vs Inter.

  14. #2684
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    21,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Unless I am confusing him with someone else, Tobido looked awful most of his appearances. Nervous as hell.
    I agree he looks rash as fuck and not like a player who knows the CB position.

    Did well v Inter to be fair but folk go massively over the top about him.

    Look at tier of teams coming in for him.

  15. #2685
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    21,661
    Guy is 20 years old. That's why you give him minutes in the first place... It's too much... I give up.

    Umtiti is a better player . How about that fucking argument.