Battle of the peak club sides 2010s (Pep Era Excluded)

Best club side of the 2010s (Pep Era excluded)

• Total voters

KingLeo10

Options are:

Bayern 12-13 (Super Bayern, treble winners)
Barcelona 14-15 ('MSN' Barca, treble winners)
RM 16-17 (European double winners)
Liverpool 18-ongoing (CL winners, 97 point PL campaign)

Rank from 1-4, please and provide some explanation for your choice. :zidane:

serghei

Barca 14-15. Hard to beat it. All the three others are about equal. The difference is in the quality of peak MSN.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Barca 14-15. Hard to beat it. All the three others are about equal. The difference is in the quality of peak MSN.

Agreed. All the 3 others were/are extremely formidable sides though and IMO beat any team from the 2000's, probably even Fergie's United teams. Bayern were a straight up machine under Heynckes, RM had an incredible roster of champions that all had a massive mental edge over most opponents they faced, and Liverpool are ridiculously good as a collective under Klopp both offensively and defensively. Immediately after winning the CL they are going undefeated to win the PL so far this year, extremely consistent and ruthless.

It speaks to how good peak MSN were that 14/15 can decisively be the best of this group of teams. Plus that was Pique's best ever season of his career IMO, Alves had a resurgence, and Alba/Mascherano were playing great too. I'd say that our midfield was worse than 16/17 RM and 12/13 Bayern, but peak Messi and Alves also help us massively in winning the midfield battle. Rakitic was at his very best and Iniesta/Busquets were pretty great that year too.

And I still consider 10-11 Barca to be slightly ahead of 14-15 Barca.

serghei

Agreed. All the 3 others were/are extremely formidable sides though and IMO beat any team from the 2000's, probably even Fergie's United teams. Bayern were a straight up machine under Heynckes, RM had an incredible roster of champions that all had a massive mental edge over most opponents they faced, and Liverpool are ridiculously good as a collective under Klopp both offensively and defensively. Immediately after winning the CL they are going undefeated to win the PL so far this year, extremely consistent and ruthless.

It speaks to how good peak MSN were that 14/15 can decisively be the best of this group of teams. Plus that was Pique's best ever season of his career IMO, Alves had a resurgence, and Alba/Mascherano were playing great too. I'd say that our midfield was worse than 16/17 RM and 12/13 Bayern, but peak Messi and Alves also help us massively in winning the midfield battle. Rakitic was at his very best and Iniesta/Busquets were pretty great that year too.

And I still consider 10-11 Barca to be slightly ahead of 14-15 Barca.

Agreed as well. Except I think the 10-11 side was a level above 14-15 Barca. You just can't deal with overwhelming possession. Possession + amazing players on the ball is the most deadly combo of dominance.

Andresito

Staff member
10/11 definitely was better as a team. 14/15 had such an insane individual quality. It was basically enough to have only one of MSN on fire to win the game.

Madrid side is definitely the worst out of the options. They rarely dominated and there were times where you just couldn't understand how they'd won. But as mentioned it was a side with an insane winning mentality.

Thank you for this question [MENTION=26310]KingLeo[/MENTION] :)

I'll go with 2015 Barcelona. That was just so much fun and firepower all around.

2009 Barcelona will always have a special place in my heart. That had prime Eto'o. I love Messi and Suarez but Eto'o was probably my favourite player of them all. The only player to win back to back trebles.

Suarez does remind you a lot of Eto'o.

Last edited:

Xaviniesta

chose madrid because their run was more impressive imo. they faced juve, atletico, bayern, napoli and they beat them by large margins. our run was also impressive, but we did face 2 oil clubs who are notoriously shit in the CL, and we faced an injury ridden bayern (unlike madrid) yet we still needed messi to win us that game.

also, they went 40 games undefeated in la liga (broke our record) and never slipped up despite our pressure. and they won 5 trophies while also being the first team to win a consecutive CL. it was a terrible time to be a barca fan, especially with ronaldo banging a hattrick every round and we couldn't say shit.

14-15 barca was probably the most entertaining, but the way i look at it, roughly the same team couldn't get past the quarterfinals the next 2 years, whereas madrid won 3 in a row with relatively the same team.

Centauri B

chose madrid because their run was more impressive imo. they faced juve, atletico, bayern, napoli and they beat them by large margins. our run was also impressive, but we did face 2 oil clubs who are notoriously shit in the CL, and we faced an injury ridden bayern (unlike madrid) yet we still needed messi to win us that game.

also, they went 40 games undefeated in la liga (broke our record) and never slipped up despite our pressure. and they won 5 trophies while also being the first team to win a consecutive CL. it was a terrible time to be a barca fan, especially with ronaldo banging a hattrick every round and we couldn't say shit.

14-15 barca was probably the most entertaining, but the way i look at it, roughly the same team couldn't get past the quarterfinals the next 2 years, whereas madrid won 3 in a row with relatively the same team.

Our 14/15 side included lots of players that were about to decline massively. That is why our level was beginning to drop the next couple of seasons. But the 14/15 side was immense and played great football. It was the only team I can recall that won the CL (you have to go decades back in the old Mickey Mouse European Cup to find a team winning as comfortably) without any need for drama, ref decisions, remontadas etc etc. We just demonstrated superiority over all teams in Europe and Spain that season and won everything. They get the nod.

Vilarrubi

You make a good case for Madrid 16/17, but..... our 16/17 declining team without Dani Alves, who lost 4-0 to PSG, lost 3-0 to Juve still beat that Madrid team at the Bernabeu and drew in the home game at Camp Nou. There’s no doubt in my mind that if the 16/17 Madrid team faced the 14/15 Barca team there would only be one outcome and that’s a Barca win.

JPM85

Can’t take a prize winning team seriously if you can’t dominate your league as well. Real M ended by a huge lenght in the league on 2 occassions, just because they focussed all on 7 matches in the second half of the season.

4th Real Madrid. They would be 1st by a marging if they at least would have won 2 league titles and 1 treble.

3th Liverpool. They are still running their form and show huge domestic power. Yet this and last year CL campaign show the fine line between in success and failure on CL level. If they win CL again and grab the PL they will be number 1 for me.

1st Bayern and Barca. Barca was more entertaining, Bayern was a dominant squad for multiple seasons. The fluke wins of Inter and Chelsea should have been finals between Barca - Bayern. They where both super dominant and little space between them.

Failure of injuries decides most of the outcome between them, but I have never seen such a high quality semi final as 14/15 between them. Those matches where 2 huge sides clashing. (Still regret Bayern had some injuries)

Marshall D Teach

No votes for Bayern 12/13? That was a beast team.

0. Barca 10/11

1. Barca 14/15
2. Bayern 12/13

3. Liverpool 18-19
4. RM 16-17

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans