CL | 1/8 Final: FC Barcelona - SSC Napoli 4-2 (agg.)

El Gato

Villarato!
When have Barca ever been good on the road in that competition? Don't think the era matters.

2:0 @ United last year
2:0 @ Arsenal in 15/16
3:1 @ PSG in 14/15
2:1 @ City same season
2:0 @ City in 13/14
3:1 @ Leverkusen in 2011/12
2:0 @ Real in 10/11
1:0 @ Shakhtar same season
1:0 @ Schalke in 08/09
3:2 @ Celtic same season
1:0 @ Liverpool in 07/08 (only to get knocked out at home)
1:0 @ Milan in 06/07
2:1 @ Chelsea same season
2:0 @ Newcastle in 03/04
1:0 @ Galatasaray in 01/02

So that makes it what... 14 knockout away wins in the last 20 years of CL?

Edited.
Wasn't on purpose, thought we're looking beyond the treble and the 'drought' of last few years.

Last edited:

serghei

FC Barcelona have won only one of their last eight away games in the Champions League knockout phase (D2 L5), a 1-0 victory against Manchester Utd in April 2019. In those eight games, they have scored only two goals and conceded 17.

:scared:

:lol:

And the only goal in the only win was basically an own goal.

KingLeo10

When have Barca ever been good on the road in that competition? Don't think the era matters.

Schalke 1:0 in 08/09

Edited.
Wasn't on purpose, thought we're looking beyond the treble and the 'drought' of last few years.

Eh if you look at Bayern/Juve/Real's away CL KO records over the last 20 years, my wager would be we're better than Juve, about par with Bayern, and worse than Real.

Again, no surprise as historically it's 1) Real 2) Barca/Bayern/Milan/Pool in this competition.

serghei

1:0 @ Schalke in 08/09

Edited.

You got some mixed up I think.

Schalke was actually in 07/08, before United. Liverpool in 06/07 (we were title holders actually). In 08/09 we played against Bayern and Lyon away.

But yea, in modern era basically our strategy has been hold on away, try to keep the score as tight as possible, and smash teams at home. We're basically a monster at home and a mediocre (for elite club standard) team away.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Schalke was actually in 07/08, before United. Liverpool in 06/07 (we were title holders actually). In 08/09 we played against Bayern and Lyon away.

But yea, in modern era basically our strategy has been hold on away, try to keep the score as tight as possible, and smash teams at home.

Pretty much all teams use that strategy outside of Real and maybe Bayern (Bayern of 2000s. In the last decade, outside of that amazing 12/13 they've been dominated on the road results wise).

Some teams are even more dependent on their home ground than us. Juve, Pool, PSG, AM, United (when they were good) being examples.

Centauri B

But yea, in modern era basically our strategy has been hold on away, try to keep the score as tight as possible, and smash teams at home.

At our best, what we do is take score draws away, then destroy everyone at home.

serghei

Pretty much all teams use that strategy outside of Real.

Some teams are even more dependent on their home ground than us. Juve, Pool, PSG, AM, United (when they were good) being examples.

That is very true. Winning away in CL in these big duels is very hard. I don't basically have a big problem with not winning. I have a big problem with getting trashed.

El Gato

Villarato!
[MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION]
Well, considering both Juve and Bayern had YEARS of being irrelevant on their home turf in the past 20 years I'd wager you're better, yes.

Now that I think about it, you might even be marginally better than us too since we had the 7 year mental block. In 2010's you're obviously inferior since we had several campaigns where we were almost 100% every time, but also campaigns like 12/13 where we only won 1 of 3.

[MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION]
Yeah, my bad. Still it's not all that dogshit, but don't think anybody would describe you as clutch CL team.

If I have time I'll do some subjective summaries for big teams and where results aren't horrendous. Often losing 2-1 used to be a great result if you're known to be a terrific home side.

Last edited:

Centauri B

I'd sign for a 2-2 in every away game if possible. I'm sure we'd win a lot of CLs if we managed a result like that away from home consistently.

We'd have won them all if we could get 2-2 draws away all the time. That's a fact.

*When I say all, I mean the last 15 years at least.

KingLeo10

BBZ ran some numbers a while back for the last 20 years of CL KO games.

Real had very similar win percentage home or away.

Bayern also had a decent balance but clear home advantage.

We had an insane win percentage at home (85% - ish while Bayern was 70 something and Real 60-70 something). Decent away percentage but dramatically lower than Real's.

I wish we could compare numbers with Milan, United, Pool, Juve but all 4 of those have had notable absences from the competition over the last 20 years.

Home of Barca Fans