Your choices for valverde replacement

The Observer

Utter nonsense.

Klopp is just not a "great" manager, but rather far and away the best in the world at the moment and will likely finish his career as one of the greatest managers of all-time. The lad is currently the Messi of managers in world football. Comparing any other active coach to him and using it as the crux of the argument to replace another manager is ignorant at best and pathetically disingenuous at worst.

:lol:

Imagine fans of other major clubs comparing their best player to Messi and using the comparison to argue why they should move on from him without offering any viable alternatives. Reckon it sounds absurd? That is essentially what you are doing with this outrageous "MUH KLOPP" argument. You can want Valverde out, but stay sensible.

Laughable drivel. Be better.

BBZ is the only poster with different arguments regularly making himself heard. Unfortunately many of his posts are redundant and repetitive. There is no one really challenging the absurdity of some of the arguments made on here and it leads to low-effort circle jerk posts like your's above.

Pretty much spot on with everything.

Pep is the next best manager after Klopp and he hasn't sniffed a CL semi with City in 3 years against likes of Monaco and Spurs so mentioning Klopp every day is pointless like there is anything remotely comparable to him. Even Pep would look like Lucho at Roma if he had taken over a midtable Liverpool. Klopp is in a tier of his own.

LABarcaFan

I dont think even Klopp would have the dinosaurs in the Barca squad able to press like he wants his teams to. Not a good match.

And Koeman is just awful, clueless and arrogant. Ruben Baraja even said that they won that cup final because the players ignored Koeman's tactical advice

I agree 200% with both your points about Klopp and Koeman.

LABarcaFan

Klopp took Liverpool from a joke position, and will leave it with 2-3 CLs more than Barcelona. Probably with 7-8 titles.

That's how important a great manager is, and we still have clowns around here supporting Valverde. :lol:

Yes, Klopp took Liverpool from a joke position. A team that has not won the Premier League in 29 years, but with new owner. He supported him financially on anything he has asked for. Just look here:

2016-17 season

Players out - 13. Received 81.6 million pounds
Players in ( Joel Matip - free, Loris Karius 4.7 mil, Sadio Mane 30 mil, Georginio Wijnaldum 23 mil. ) Spent - 62 mil pounds

2017-18 season

Players out - 7 ( among other was Coutinho 142 mil. ) Received 179.2 mil. pounds
Players in - 4 ( M.Salah 36.9 mil, A.Robertson 8 mil.,A.Chamberline 35 mil., V. Van Dijk 75 mil. ) Spent 154.9 mil pounds

2018-19 season

Players out - 23 ( mainly on loan ) Received 33.5 mil. pounds
Player in - 4 ( Nabi Keita 52.7 mil. Fabinho 39 mil. Shaqiri 13.7 mil Alison 65 mil ) Spent - 170.5 mil. pounds.

Technically, Klopp kept only Trent Alexander Arnold, J. Henderson, J. Milner and R.Firmino and got rid of the entire roster of Liverpool. For 3 years, he has spent more than 387.5 mil pounds = 461.92 million EUROS. That is a lots of money. He was granted any player he had in his wish list and basically built a brand new team with very high quality players. When you have that much money to spend and full support from the ownership, the results will come, sooner or later. All that sad, I am not ignoring the fact that he is arguably the best football coach in the World.

LABarcaFan

OK. So Koeman, obviously is a bad choice for Barcelona.
Ten Hag just recently extended his contract and can not be an option.
Gallardo is not familiar with the European soccer...
Klopp is not moving from, Liverpool.
Pep? He has lost the battle for the championship to Klopp and depending on how Manchester City will do in the CL, he may get axed in the summer. If that happens, do you think he will be the manager we need to rebuild this team?

There been many forum buddies talking against Valverde and criticizing him from the start of the season. OK. When someone wants him out that badly, he should have an idea of who can be his best replacement. I can't read even one proposed name of a coach, who can be available in the summer and is a better choice than Valverde. It is always easy to criticize the coach, than our washed-out big names from the past. So, be realistic. If you can't come up with a better name of manager, just shut up and stop trash talking toward him. Good or bad, he is our coach at the moment till the end of the season. And something else haters. What are you going to say, if Valverde win La Liga and Copa del Rey at the end? I know, it is not possible to win the CL with this roster, that is why, I am mentioning only the two biggest trophies in Spain.What if he win them???

Last edited:

JohnN

The fact that random people don't have insights about available good or talented replacements for EV, doesn't mean there aren't any.
Also it doesn't mean that EV is at Barca's expected level.
He is our coach though so let's stop whining and try to look at the bright side, but there is no need to make EV something he is not.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Pep? He has lost the battle for the championship to Klopp and depending on how Manchester City will do in the CL, he may get axed in the summer. If that happens, do you think he will be the manager we need to rebuild this team?

There been many forum buddies talking against Valverde and criticizing him from the start of the season. OK. When someone wants him out that badly, he should have an idea of who can be his best replacement. I can't read even one proposed name of a coach, who can be available in the summer and is a better choice than Valverde. It is always easy to criticize the coach, than our washed-out big names from the past. So, be realistic. If you can't come up with a better name of manager, just shut up and stop trash talking toward him. Good or bad, he is our coach at the moment till the end of the season. And something else haters. What are you going to say, if Valverde win La Liga and Copa del Rey at the end? I know, it is not possible to win the CL with this roster, that is why, I am mentioning only the two biggest trophies in Spain.What if he win them???

Why is Koeman obviously a bad choice for Barca? I've seen couple of Netherland's NT matches and it looks really lovely, fast and dynamic team. Valverde talks about how we need more dynamism in our team and yet likes to play slow players, - Rakitic, Sergi Roberto, Pique, Busquets, Lenglet. You saw what happened against Inter, - you add more youth, more pacy players and team looks different and more enjoyable to watch and you don't need to buy 120-160M players for that. If Koeman would be willing to play faster football and give youth more chances, then he wouldn't do worse than Valverde.

George_Costanza

What do you mean there no available manager better than Valverde? Even if we put you as a head coach you will do better than this weasel.

Some of the names that are available and won't even consider appointing Valverde as their assistant manager.

Pochettino: He is not managing any team and with the right offer..cough (Valvarde's astronomical salary).. cough, he will say I always dreamt of managing Blaugrana.

Gallardo: He played in Europe for many seasons, so saying he isn't familiar with European football is a lie!

Julian Nagelsmann: He is young and the next big thing in coaching and can be available.

Quique Setien, Arsene Wenger are available too and could shcool Valverde about football and tactics.

khaled_a_d

I do like EV overall, and I think he was a good option for the time he was hired with all Verratti/Neymar thing with an aging squad that was badly planned.
But every coach has to leave at some point, and in our history we rarely have a long term coach.

A quick search on our list of managers who coached us more than 3 seasons: Joan Gamper (15 years), Crujif (8), Rijkaard (5), Patrick O'Connell (5) Pep (4), Rinus Michels 1st stint (4), Ferdinand Daučík (4) and Terry Venables who was fired in September of his 4th year.

Since 1970 i,e past 50 years, only the Dutch trio along Pep who had 4+ years here. The greatest manager of all time, the greatest figure in Barca history (Crujif), the greatest manager in our history(Pep) and the one who brought back success to our club in this century (Rijkaard)

EV doesn't belong to this group, he ran his coarse and it will be time to move on, and tbh I think this should have happened last year but the club was unwilling to do so due to lack of alternatives, but you can't run this excuse for long time.

LABarcaFan

The fact that random people don't have insights about available good or talented replacements for EV, doesn't mean there aren't any.
Also it doesn't mean that EV is at Barca's expected level.
He is our coach though so let's stop whining and try to look at the bright side, but there is no need to make EV something he is not.

I am not trying to make Valverde something he is not. Good or bed, he is our coach at the moment. The board won't replace him in the winter transfer window. That has been sad already from Barto. Lets leave him to do his job as well as he can. And I have asked question that no one has answered yet. Will repeat it again. What if EV wins La Liga and Copa del Rey this year?

LABarcaFan

Why is Koeman obviously a bad choice for Barca? I've seen couple of Netherland's NT matches and it looks really lovely, fast and dynamic team. Valverde talks about how we need more dynamism in our team and yet likes to play slow players, - Rakitic, Sergi Roberto, Pique, Busquets, Lenglet. You saw what happened against Inter, - you add more youth, more pacy players and team looks different and more enjoyable to watch and you don't need to buy 120-160M players for that. If Koeman would be willing to play faster football and give youth more chances, then he wouldn't do worse than Valverde.

First about Koeman.
I have opened this tread with his name. Just read one more time his coaching record and you will understand why he is not good choice for us. You can not compare the Netherlands National Team, which has several of the best young players in the World and our veteran built Barcelona team. They are just not comparable.

I agree with you about the Inter Milan game and your point. That is 100 % true. Younger player can perform a lot better than our old horses. But, something tells me that someone from above is insisting and suggesting Ernesto to play the veterans. We have several players in their obvious decline, but he continue to rely on them every single game. I don't thing he is that much stupid to ruin his coaching career by doing so. There is something wrong, coming from the board and our president.

Agree, that we don't need to buy 160 - 220 million EURO players like Neymar. We have to change this wrong strategy, which again is coming from our commercialized board.

LABarcaFan

What do you mean there no available manager better than Valverde? Even if we put you as a head coach you will do better than this weasel.

Some of the names that are available and won't even consider appointing Valverde as their assistant manager.

Pochettino: He is not managing any team and with the right offer..cough (Valvarde's astronomical salary).. cough, he will say I always dreamt of managing Blaugrana.

Gallardo: He played in Europe for many seasons, so saying he isn't familiar with European football is a lie!

Julian Nagelsmann: He is young and the next big thing in coaching and can be available.

Quique Setien, Arsene Wenger are available too and could shcool Valverde about football and tactics.

I am sure, you know that Pochettino was a Espanol player and just recently, by the time his team was facing Liverpool in the finals of the CL, he stated in front of the cameras and microphones... "One thing I know for sure, I will never coach FC Barcelona." That says everything.

Gallardo has played from 1999 till 2003 for Monaco and 1 more year for PSG. Since then, the football has changed a lot. His coaching career consist two teams - Nacional Montevideo and River Plate, both in South America.

Arsen Wenger ! OK. He is a better coach than EV and that is for sure. In 1988, he won the French championship with Monaco and Coupe de France in 1991.
Then, he took over Arsenal for in 1996 ( for 22 years )

1998 - Championship and FA Cup
2002 - Championship and FA Cup
2003 - FA Cup
2006 - CL final, where his team was defeated from Barcelona.

That final game was followed with eight years of NO TROPHY

2014 - FA Cup
2015 - FA Cup
2017 - FA Cup.

From 2002 till 2018, Wenger has not won even one Premiere League title and that forced his resignation in 2018. Arsen is a good coach, but he is already 70 y.o. Ten years ago, I wouldn't even think about and would have hire him immediately. But, the Frenchman has a lots of health issues as of lately and will be very big risk if hired as Barcelona manager.

Quique Setien! What has he won as a manager, that you are mentioning his name?

Julian Nagelsmann. Yes his RB Leipzig is playing well in the CL, but as a coach, he has not won anything in Germany. And do you think Suarez, Messi, Busquets, Alba and Pique will welcome a coach, who is their age ?

Barcelona need to hire mid age coach with some significant achievements in European top leagues or in the European Tournaments. We don't need a coach, just to replace EV. We need a coach/ manager, who can have card-blanche for 2-3 years to rebuild this team and then start collecting trophies. Barcelona is not Selta Vigo or Levante. Barcelona has always one major goal to achieve - THAT TROPHY FROM MY AVATAR. NOTHING LESS.

LABarcaFan

I do like EV overall, and I think he was a good option for the time he was hired with all Verratti/Neymar thing with an aging squad that was badly planned.
But every coach has to leave at some point, and in our history we rarely have a long term coach.

A quick search on our list of managers who coached us more than 3 seasons: Joan Gamper (15 years), Crujif (8), Rijkaard (5), Patrick O'Connell (5) Pep (4), Rinus Michels 1st stint (4), Ferdinand Daučík (4) and Terry Venables who was fired in September of his 4th year.

Since 1970 i,e past 50 years, only the Dutch trio along Pep who had 4+ years here. The greatest manager of all time, the greatest figure in Barca history (Crujif), the greatest manager in our history(Pep) and the one who brought back success to our club in this century (Rijkaard)

EV doesn't belong to this group, he ran his coarse and it will be time to move on, and tbh I think this should have happened last year but the club was unwilling to do so due to lack of alternatives, but you can't run this excuse for long time.

Khaled, I agree with you. Valverde can not be mentioned in the same sentence with J.Cruyff, Rijcard and Guardiola. He does not belong there. What I was trying to say is this. You give any coach, in any sport, the right player to work with and if he is not doing well, then he has to be replaced. Og course. But, when more than the half of our starters are 31 and 32 and they have won anything in the World, it is very hard to motivate them to play on a high level consistently. Plus, EV does not have any support from the board, when it comes to selection of new players. FDJ is the only exception, which actually proves my words. And there are still ongoing talks with PSG about Neymar, whos price tag is 220 mil. With that money, we can have 5-6 new and younger players to work with in the next decade. But, that will not happen. Our board of IDIOTS care only about their investment and the revenue.

JohnN

I am not trying to make Valverde something he is not. Good or bed, he is our coach at the moment. The board won't replace him in the winter transfer window. That has been sad already from Barto. Lets leave him to do his job as well as he can. And I have asked question that no one has answered yet. Will repeat it again. What if EV wins La Liga and Copa del Rey this year?

I really find it difficult to believe we will win anything this season. Messi will not be able to keep his consistency for all the matches, which means we lose the only cheat code we have.
After a performance like this clasico, it is hard to believe we can win the league. Copa del Rey, is not really important on it's own. CL, is out of the question if we don't play much much better. And why would we play better? We haven't improved since 2017, why start now?

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
First about Koeman.
I have opened this tread with his name. Just read one more time his coaching record and you will understand why he is not good choice for us. You can not compare the Netherlands National Team, which has several of the best young players in the World and our veteran built Barcelona team. They are just not comparable.

I agree with you about the Inter Milan game and your point. That is 100 % true. Younger player can perform a lot better than our old horses. But, something tells me that someone from above is insisting and suggesting Ernesto to play the veterans. We have several players in their obvious decline, but he continue to rely on them every single game. I don't thing he is that much stupid to ruin his coaching career by doing so. There is something wrong, coming from the board and our president.

Agree, that we don't need to buy 160 - 220 million EURO players like Neymar. We have to change this wrong strategy, which again is coming from our commercialized board.

These coaching records are not very good indicators to decide whether the manager will be succesful future Barca coach, Lucho didn't have impressive track record as well, but was succesful. It's more about being a right fit for us. Valverde definitly is not right fit for us, I think Koeman can be if he plays similarly to his Netherland's NT. It's true that NT success doesn't always translate into success with the club, we saw what happened to Lopetegu and RM, but that's why I said, if he is willing to change this team a bit, move away from those veteran players, integrate the youth, play faster more entertaining football then he can't do worse than Valverde.

It's hard to say if Barto or board are dictating who to play, Valverde is benching Busquets more often now, so that indicates that he can actually bench other veteran players as well, but he doesn't really want to. The thing is the new manager needs to say from the beginning, that he won't rely on certain players or some players will play less from now on, like it was with Deco and Ronaldinho when Pep took over or with Xavi when Lucho became a manager.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Khaled, I agree with you. Valverde can not be mentioned in the same sentence with J.Cruyff, Rijcard and Guardiola. He does not belong there. What I was trying to say is this. You give any coach, in any sport, the right player to work with and if he is not doing well, then he has to be replaced. Og course. But, when more than the half of our starters are 31 and 32 and they have won anything in the World, it is very hard to motivate them to play on a high level consistently. Plus, EV does not have any support from the board, when it comes to selection of new players. FDJ is the only exception, which actually proves my words. And there are still ongoing talks with PSG about Neymar, whos price tag is 220 mil. With that money, we can have 5-6 new and younger players to work with in the next decade. But, that will not happen. Our board of IDIOTS care only about their investment and the revenue.

I agree with that. Have been saying it for months/years now. But at the same time it won't warrant him staying another year.

Home of Barca Fans