Cameroon

Group F:

Italy
Mexico
Paraguay
Solomon Islands

Andresito

Staff member
Will be interesting to follow our boys. Unfortunate that Ansu isn't there.

Let's hope there'll be some good streams.

Porque

Pedri amazing.

Judging from that game (while also taking into account the effects of the humid conditions) a few of our "golden" generation were not really that special in the end. Robert Navarro was infuriating while Pablo Moreno was a little better when he come on. Valera, who is highly touted, was pretty disappointing to me too.

Pedri was the best player in a Spain jersey although his second half kind of fizzled out. You could see his frustrations with the rests lack of linkup play though.

Tactically I think it is amazing that the Spain manager could lineup with a bunch of technically gifted midfielders and attackers, then decide to stick them in a 442 and have them struggle to find passing triangles all match.

On the other side of the pitch you then had Palacios for Argentina go into DMC line to open up passing channels on the defensive exit, then re-appear later in the move at AMC to look for the offensive passes- making almost a satire of our lack of outlets.

Lastly the last 30 minutes was crying for a midfield substitution of the ilk of Ilaix as Argentina continued to grow in their taking over. It was as if Valverde was on the bench. Hopefully he features in the next group games as I think the midfield is going to need him.

Still, both sides should go far in this tournament. But it was certainly an eye opener that Pedri aside (and Ilaix who didn't play) that this generation of Spain is not individually as good as first thought.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Agreed completely with [MENTION=22241]Porque[/MENTION]. Only thing I would add is how good Zeballos was, particularly in the 2nd half - consistently dangerous playing like a traditional winger. Great touch & dribbling - no end product but a player to watch

EdmondDantes

Posted this in his thread but it's pertinent here as well:

[tw]1188953566469349378[/tw]

Shame I missed the game, our Iniesta regen is amazing.

Messi983

Judging from that game (while also taking into account the effects of the humid conditions) a few of our "golden" generation were not really that special in the end. Robert Navarro was infuriating while Pablo Moreno was a little better when he come on. Valera, who is highly touted, was pretty disappointing to me too.

Pedri was the best player in a Spain jersey although his second half kind of fizzled out. You could see his frustrations with the rests lack of linkup play though.

Tactically I think it is amazing that the Spain manager could lineup with a bunch of technically gifted midfielders and attackers, then decide to stick them in a 442 and have them struggle to find passing triangles all match.

On the other side of the pitch you then had Palacios for Argentina go into DMC line to open up passing channels on the defensive exit, then re-appear later in the move at AMC to look for the offensive passes- making almost a satire of our lack of outlets.

Lastly the last 30 minutes was crying for a midfield substitution of the ilk of Ilaix as Argentina continued to grow in their taking over. It was as if Valverde was on the bench. Hopefully he features in the next group games as I think the midfield is going to need him.

Still, both sides should go far in this tournament. But it was certainly an eye opener that Pedri aside (and Ilaix who didn't play) that this generation of Spain is not individually as good as first thought.

Yeah, it looks like they were happy to just get a point. They've struggled with heat and humidity in 2nd half and maybe they were also trying to save some energy instead of going all out in their first game. We'll see how the rest of the tournament will go. They should still qualify in the next round imo. I'll be away for the next 10 days so won't be able to watch remaining two games of the group stage and Round of 16 so hopefully Spain will get at least to the quarterfinals.

I was also disapointed to not see Ilaix as they could've certainly use him as you've said.

BTW, Tajikistan with a 1-0 win against Cameroon, probably the biggest surprise of the tournament so far. They play against Spain next.

Porque

Who has been keeping up with this tournament?

It has now reached the quarter final stage. Argentina were knocked out in a Paraguayan comeback 3-2 while Japan exited too. Means we lose Palacios and Nishikawa.

Spain have steadily improved with the introduction of Ilaix and Pablo Moreno to the starting 11. Robert Navarro has played much better than the first game while Pedri hasn't been as influential in the last 2 fixtures.

As for Ilaix, he has been an improvement in midfield although I still same the same frustrations with him of over 2 years back. That is he slows down play and only has one pace of playing. It is going to catch up with him at the top level if he does not improve this aspect.

Spain face France in the Quarters on Monday, so it will be nice to see how Ilaix matches up against Agouame- a player we were closely monitoring before he chose to sign for Inter Milan.

Porque

Watched most of the game and after drawing level France completely dominated. I don't know how to say this in the correct way, but the French have incredible building blocks for their national team. Fantastic academies to build technique and football IQ complimented with A-Level physical athletes meant they could dominate the Spanish who were physically 2 years behind the French boys. BBZ must of been having a wet dream.

From the Barcelona boys Ilaix was decent in the first half but being just 16, you could see that a year of development gave the French midfielders an advantage over our best athlete. Pedri was the only player in the Spanish team who could cope with the French sides through his natural ability but he needed to be more involved centrally to have more involvement.

Lastly, Agoume doesn't offer much offensively, but it would have been great to have a talent like him to develop as Barcelona style DMC.

Messi983

Brazil have won their 4th title (and first since 2003) in this age group after a late comeback and 2-1 win against Mexico. France have finished 3rd.

[youtube]FqFuTqF5hkc[/youtube]

Brazil/Palmeiras's winger Gabriel Veron was named as the best player of the tournament followed by France/PSG midfielder Adil Aouchiche and Mexico/Pachuca defensive midfielder Eugenio Pizzuto.

Netherlands/Ajax's forward Sontje Hansen was a top scorer with 6 goals, with three of them coming in the Round of 16 win against Nigeria.

Corinthians's GK Mattheus Donelli has won a Golden Glove as the best GK.

Home of Barca Fans