Messi wins Fifa best player

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Barca captain Lionel Messi has been named men’s player of the year at The Best Fifa awards in Milan, beating Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk and Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo.

Messi claimed the men’s player of the year award, beating off competition from Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk.

It is a record sixth time that the Argentina star has been named Fifa’s best player and comes after a 2018-19 season in which he scored 51 goals for his club.

LionelMessiPlayerOfYearAwardSep2019_large.jpg

"It has been a long time without winning an individual prize," Messi told reporters.

"It is an award that I have for the first time and it is good to have it."

Men’s player: Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)

Men’s coach: Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool)

Men’s goalkeeper: Alisson Becker (Liverpool and Brazil)

Puskas award: Daniel Zsori (Debrecen/Fehervar)

Fair play award: Marcelo Bielsa and the Leeds squad

FIFPro men’s world XI: Alisson; Matthijs De Ligt, Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Virgil Van Dijk; Frenkie De Jong, Eden Hazard, Luka Modric; Cristiano Ronaldo, Kylian Mbappe, Lionel Messi.

JPM85

The FIFPro men's world XI is a joke with the season RM had;

Marcelo was like horsesh*t last season, even lost his place in the starting eleven
Sergio Ramos was definitely not one of the best in the world, and has a shit season with being eliminated in 1/8 Final. Pique, Vertonghen, Matip, Blind all had better seasons..
Luka Modric same as the person above. You can name 10 midfielders with a better season, he was outclassed like a schoolboy by FDJ.

Based on the season it should have been (personal opinion):
Alisson; Virgil van Dijk, Matthijs de Ligt, TAA, Pique; Frenkie de Jong, Ziyech, Fabinho; Messi, Mane, Sterling

LMTR14

fair play award has the value of this century's oscars... letting your opponent score a goal on purpose is the OPPOSITE of fair play, it's fucking disgraceful. shows once again how fucktarded this modern world is

devo901

fair play award has the value of this century's oscars... letting your opponent score a goal on purpose is the OPPOSITE of fair play, it's fucking disgraceful. shows once again how fucktarded this modern world is

I dont agree, pls. watch the leeds aston highlights again. Leeds scored, while half of Aston team stopped playing (I agree they should not have stopped as the ball was still on the pitch - but they did!) So, I do see fairness in letting them score.

What is curious in this vote is that Ronaldo has only 28goals in 43 apps, while messi stunning 50goals in 51apps. Which is a HUGE HUGE difference ... but Ronaldo is third only by some votes. Some other striker must have better stats than Ronaldo...!!!

At least, Ronaldo will hardly make another "Best FIFA Men's Player", so Messi will remain officially better with his 6 awards. (a VITAL argument with 14 year olds!) :rockon:

Last edited:

Zidane82

Soooooo

Messi voted for

1. Sadio Mane 2. CR7 3. De Jong

Whereas Ronaldo voted for

1. De Ligt 2. De Jong 3. Mbappe

Says it all about fakeRonaldo

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Reckon this award holds more weight as coaches and captains vote instead of journalists.

devo901

Reckon this award holds more weight as coaches and captains vote instead of journalists.

Agree....
we all remember this https://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2018/12/08/5c0b954322601dc9518b45f8.html
"Ballon d'Or controversy: The journalist who voted for Comoros doesn't exist"

I ask myself, how a journalist should know which player was better, he does not have an historic archive of ...
... also captains, they have other things to do, than doing long winded assessments ....
and we all know how different coaches interpret things on the pitch... ;)

so this is more of a measurement, of who is more prominent and talked about - he must be good. We know this from politics and elections... 80 % of all US presidents got re-elected (unless killed).

JPM85

Soooooo

Messi voted for

The vote of Messi was either ridiculous as was Ronaldo's.
What did CR7 do to been placed as second by Messi?

de Ligt / de Jong are understandable from Ronaldo's point of view (he played them 3 times).
Vote for Mbappe is crap, but somewhere understandable.

gulaman

Soooooo

Messi voted for

It's still tactical voting. Messi knew CR has no chance of winning but VVD did so that's why he did not select VVD to increase his own chances of winning. VVD was very fair and selected Messi as his top choice ahead of his own team mates Mane and Salah.

Vilarrubi

It's still tactical voting. Messi knew CR has no chance of winning but VVD did so that's why he did not select VVD to increase his own chances of winning. VVD was very fair and selected Messi as his top choice ahead of his own team mates Mane and Salah.

Siiiiiiiiuuuuuu deal with it.

Zidane82

I still regard the Balon Dor as the ultimate award ..

They’re tied 5:5 with VVD favourite to win in December

Mitchell1978

I still regard the Balon Dor as the ultimate award ..

They’re tied 5:5 with VVD favourite to win in December

Since 2007 the 'press vote' of the Ballon d'Or (since 2016 only the press votes again) has gone to a winner of the CL that year except in 2012 when Messi scored 91 goals.

So basically the Ballon d'or is a CL winner MVP award.

Home of Barca Fans