Idrissa Gueye

Newcomer

He's a one man defense and PSG have enough attackers.

PSG lost an unlosable game against MU last year.

PSG didn't even need to defend as MU wasn't that much threatening. Just 3 dumb actions : Kehrer gifting a goal to Lukaku with a wonderful pass to the belgian striker, Buffon gifting another goal to Lukaku after an hopeless shot of Rashford, referee gifting a late game penalty kick after another hopeless shot that was going to the sky anyway.

I don't see how Gueye would have changed anything there.

Sailor Mars

Gueye and Herrera, when he gets fit, are both guys who work hard and can make PSG tougher to pay against in the middle of the park. They'll also free up Verratti to supply the attack. I know PSG had Motta and Matuidi before, but Verratti was younger and PSG never had a front 3 or keeper at this level.

Newcomer

Gueye and Herrera, when he gets fit, are both guys who work hard and can make PSG tougher to pay against in the middle of the park. They'll also free up Verratti to supply the attack. I know PSG had Motta and Matuidi before, but Verratti was younger and PSG never had a front 3 or keeper at this level.

I definitely agree they can provide the balance PSG needs in the midfield and can cover for Mbappé and Neymar (at a lesser level) lack of defensive activity.

However, the loss against MU wasn't due to lack of balance in the midfield but 3 ridiculous goals given to MU. MU didn't even produce anything other than that. PSG basically beat itself last year. Anyway, Barça would have eliminated PSG as the french club suffered from an injury-spree at that time. They wouldn't have been able to field a decent team.

This year, PSG has a bit more depth in the team. This is the best shot PSG will have in my opinion as it will be hard to keep Mbappé + Neymar much longer and Thiago Silva + Di Maria are getting old. If not this year, PSG will have to go through a rebuild and hope to be strong enough in 3 year time.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans