8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

khaled_a_d

He's not another "too slow for a winger, too offensive for a CM-type" is he?

I get that impression too.
I guess at the end it depends on how good you are. Iniesta was really talented and smart player.
he was the top in his position as midfielder, and when he featured as winger (which happened a lot in his career) he was a top 3 LW despite not being so fast.
Quality is always the difference between tweener and versatile.

Riordon

Lots of young players have this problem and lots of players careers went downhill to early because these type of players can’t cut it in this era. That position doesn’t exist anymore. Some like De Bruyne and D.Silva managed to adapt while players like James, Coutinho, Isco, Mata etc struggled. I think Havertz will have the same problem. And maybe Odeegard but he has talked about how he is trying to adapt to the CM-role.

Regarding Pedri, I had that fear initially. After seeing some from him and reading about him he has very very good stamina and intensity which is required to make that adaptation from AM to CM. I’m not so worried about him and think a great coach can turn him into the same profile as B.Silva/Iniesta/D.Silva.

Porque

If we take the Spain U17 game in isolation, he had a number of interceptions through clean positional tackles. Think Iniesta on his day.

In the case of Las Palmas, he is producing too many key passes, goals and assists (3 assists, 3 goals and Palmas have lost all 3 games he did not play in) for Pepe Mel to move him further back.

Las Palmas are also playing a strict 4231 so there is no real central midfield position to groom him in for. That would have to happen at his next club. But overall he has much better natural defensive pressure than the likes of Isco, James, Coutinho that I would not worry of him being in that "no mans land".

khaled_a_d

Lots of young players have this problem and lots of players careers went downhill to early because these type of players can’t cut it in this era. That position doesn’t exist anymore. Some like De Bruyne and D.Silva managed to adapt while players like James, Coutinho, Isco, Mata etc struggled. I think Havertz will have the same problem. And maybe Odeegard but he has talked about how he is trying to adapt to the CM-role.

Regarding Pedri, I had that fear initially. After seeing some from him and reading about him he has very very good stamina and intensity which is required to make that adaptation from AM to CM. I’m not so worried about him and think a great coach can turn him into the same profile as B.Silva/Iniesta/D.Silva.

tbf 442 still exists and hence LM. Just not in current Barca.
Atletico among other play 442,We played 442 once in almost past 2 decades.

Messi983

Grabbed an assist vs Real Oviedo.

I've watched that game and he could have another two assists but Viera missed 1 on 1 with GK. They really have a great understanding. It's no coincidence Las Palmas is winning again now that they are both back.

[youtube]jhwgGMpFSNI[/youtube]

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Too bad they're a bit behind. Would love for them to get promoted to La Liga and him to stay there next season instead of loaning him out to a new team.

khaled_a_d

Too bad they're a bit behind. Would love for them to get promoted to La Liga and him to stay there next season instead of loaning him out to a new team.

Even if they don't get promoted, I do think he should stay one more year. Kid celebrated his 17th birthday last week. Him playing in Segunda as 17/18 years old isn't bad for him tbh considering he is basically one of the team stars and he is comfortable there. Better than risk a bad loan which we have a long history with.

DonAK

Even if they don't get promoted, I do think he should stay one more year. Kid celebrated his 17th birthday last week. Him playing in Segunda as 17/18 years old isn't bad for him tbh considering he is basically one of the team stars and he is comfortable there. Better than risk a bad loan which we have a long history with.

I agree with you, but I can see the club shipping him off somewhere else. We don't have a great history of loaning out our players to the right clubs the last few years, although some of the players definitely go their own way and are more to be blamed too.

Messi983

They are just 2 points behind 6th place which leads to a promotion playoff. And only 7 points behind 2nd Almeria with 24 Rounds still to play so they still have chances to get directly promoted or at least get into playoff.

IIRC there is a clause in Pedri's contract he should stay at Las Palmas on loan for another season if they are playing in a higher division than Barça B unless we would promote and use him in the first team (which is probably unlikely). So as long as Barça B is not promoted to Segunda it's probably safe to assume he'll stay at LP next season regardless if they are promoted or not.

DonAK

They are just 2 points behind 6th place which leads to a promotion playoff. And only 7 points behind 2nd Almeria with 24 Rounds still to play so they still have chances to get directly promoted or at least get into playoff.

IIRC there is a clause in Pedri's contract he should stay at Las Palmas on loan for another season if they are playing in a higher division than Barça B unless we would promote and use him in the first team (which is probably unlikely). So as long as Barça B is not promoted to Segunda it's probably safe to assume he'll stay at LP next season regardless if they are promoted or not.

I didn't know that.

In that case it would be great for him as he can keep developing in a stable environment he knows. I don't see Barca B getting promoted.

Home of Barca Fans