8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

khaled_a_d

Hopefully Barca B stays where it is, best for everyone IMHO.
Yeah, it seems the plan that Pedri stays. He looks good and hopefully we will develop him rightfully for change

xXKonan

Don't think the B team has the consistency to be promoted.

They are good enough to contend for playoff spots right now but not be exactly promoted if you ask me.

Last edited:

Messi983

Pedri has played 899 of the last 900 minutes for Las Palmas.

According to CIES Football Observatory he's the first among forwards borned in 2000 or later in Second divisions of big 5 leagues (Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France) with 76% of possible minutes played ahead of Rhian Brewster (Swansea, 74%) and Ilyas Chouaref (Châteauroux, 73%).

Including all positions he's fourth behind Conor Gallagher (Swansea, midfielder, 92% of possible minutes played), Eric Ebimbe (Le Havre, midfielder, 87%) and Marco Carnesecchi (Trapani, goalkeeper, 86%).

Pretty impressive since Pedri is born in 2002 while other mentioned players are all born in 2000. He has also missed 4 games because he was with Spain at the U17 World Cup.

FC433

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pedri vs. Cadiz:<br><br>- 76 touches <br>- 49 acc. passes (89%)<br>- 5 key passes<br>- 5 dribbles (4 succ.)<br>- 8 duels (won 5)<br>- 1 tackle<br>- 1 clearance<br>- 2 long balls (1 acc.)<br>- he ran 11.6 kilometers (most in this match)<br><br>Another great match. This time against the first team in the league. &#55357;&#56462;&#55356;&#57257; <a href="https://t.co/JJadDcJAcJ">pic.twitter.com/JJadDcJAcJ</a></p>— Piotr Guziński (@ViscaBarca1233) <a href="https://twitter.com/ViscaBarca1233/status/1226224998278406144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tw]

Riordon

Very happy we have him, I see something I dont see in our current La Masia midfield talents. Would keep him as far away from our B-team or club in general until he is ready for the first team. Another year at Las Palmas would do him good, he knows the club, feel at home there + Pepe Mel is a great coach for young talents.

Maybe loan him to a La Liga team.

tacticvarium

He seems no different from those usual Spanish midfielder talents with decent ball-controlling technique who were excellent and highly rated during youth ages but never made it to the elite level of football later in the career such as Denis, Unai López, Dani Ceballos, Fran Villalba, Sergio Gómez, Robert Navarro, etc. the list goes on and on.
Perhaps my expectation for Spanish midfielders became too huge after experiencing the great golden generation of midfielders like Xavi, Iniesta, David Silva, Marcos Senna, Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Fàbregas, Santi Cazorla, Juan Mata, etc.
After watching too many players ended up not fulfilling their initial potentials for more than a decade, I try not to have high expectations for kids.
The same goes for our La Masia player as well.
I want Aleñá, Puig, Moriba, etc. succeed and become a starter at Barça but I have many doubts about them as well.
Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Havesaks

"Xavi, Iniesta, David Silva, Marcos Senna, Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Fàbregas, Santi Cazorla, Juan Mata,"

I feel old.

Riordon

Dont know about those guys but this kid seems special. An advanced midfielder with a very high workrate/intensity which lots of other talents that failed lacked. Another problem those guys had is that they never specialized in a role, and while versatility is good, it can be hard for a young man to always change position.

Pedri should look at that Bernando Silva/Iniesta/David Silva-role which I think he can fit into. Great dribbler/carrier, great passes, moves between lines aswell and importantly intensity. Its a very rare role so it could be nice if the could develop into that type of CB.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He seems no different from those usual Spanish midfielder talents with decent ball-controlling technique who were excellent and highly rated during youth ages but never made it to the elite level of football later in the career such as Denis, Unai López, Dani Ceballos, Fran Villalba, Sergio Gómez, Robert Navarro, etc. the list goes on and on.
Perhaps my expectation for Spanish midfielders became too huge after experiencing the great golden generation of midfielders like Xavi, Iniesta, David Silva, Marcos Senna, Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Fàbregas, Santi Cazorla, Juan Mata, etc.
After watching too many players ended up not fulfilling their initial potentials for more than a decade, I try not to have high expectations for kids.
The same goes for our La Masia player as well.
I want Aleñá, Puig, Moriba, etc. succeed and become a starter at Barça but I have many doubts about them as well.
Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Tbf,he has proven himself more than anyone you mentioned at his age. That includes the legends as well. Though that is partially due to playing with smaller club.
My biggest concern -as usual- is his position, is he LM or midfielder.
As I said previously, Barca has long been guilty of not being able to tell the difference between a tweener and versatile platers. We like talented players who can play on midfield or as wingers, thinking they will be next Iniesta but ending with a bench player.

Messi983

TBH I'm not sure what we should do with him next season. Sure, getting regular minutes at Las Palmas is very good at his age but the problem I've seen in some of their games lately is they just don't have enough talent around him who he could play with to further develop. He had a very good chemistry with Jonathan Viera in first half of the season but since he returned to China there is no other technically good enough player alongside Pedri there so it's not surprising UDLP as a team have also struggled in 2020, especially offensively (4 draws and 3 losses in 7 games with just 4 goals scored). If UDLP will be promoted to La Liga (doesn't seem likely with their current form but there are still 14 rounds left and they are just 4 points behind the last playoff promotion spot so anything is still possible) then Pedri will no doubt stay there (unless we would have a spot for him in the first team which I doubt at the moment) and hopefully they'll bring some better players around him to be able to compete in Primera.

But if they'll stay in Segunda then hopefully Barça B will be promoted so we can get him back. I think a season or two under Pimienta surrounded by better players than he currently is at Las Palmas would do him good. He could also train with the first team and be called up occasionally.

Home of Barca Fans