8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

mc_lovin

Puig way better than him, but this kid is still 17

Puigs problem is that hes 100% a CM. He reminds me of Modric actually. Pedri looks much more attacking (and sharper at that), and thus is the designated backup for Coutinho. One has a clear squad role and the other doesnt. Tough luck.

Puig should swallow his pride and go on a loan. Sucks, but hopefully the next coach has a clearer role for him (+433).

George_Costanza

Puigs problem is that hes 100% a CM. He reminds me of Modric actually. Pedri looks much more attacking (and sharper at that), and thus is the designated backup for Coutinho. One has a clear squad role and the other doesnt. Tough luck.

Puig should swallow his pride and go on a loan. Sucks, but hopefully the next coach has a clearer role for him (+433).

Bayern were interested in him and they play 4-2-3-1.

For 4-2-3-1 to work you have 2 formations

4 defenders
2 CM: One is a classic DM, the other is Box-to-Box midfielder
3 Attacking midfielders (2 wingers)
1 Forward

Obviously the above scenario won't work simply cuz we don't have Box-to-Box midfielder, plus Messi is not typical AM and not a winger.

Formation 2

4 defenders
2 CM: One is a classic DM, the other is classic center midfielder who work between DM/MC/AMC like Modric (for us Pjanic who is DM & CM/Puig)
3 Attacking midfielders (2 wingers)
1 Forward

The above formation is more suitable with the players we have. Messi still tactical obstacle.

Puig can play along a DM for CM and ACM roles, just like Pjanic. So I understand why do you think it won't work because he is competing only with Pjanic. Even Alena is more AM than CM so Pedri has so many to compete with while Puig has Pjanic.

mc_lovin

We dont have a classic DM though. And Puig would still be too light for a double pivot, no two ways about it. Alena as well. Thats why Wijnaldum would still make a lot of sense for us.

JamDav1982

Would take Bayern being interested in Puig with a pinch of salt. Not even sure German media were claiming that.

Agents claim this type of thing all the time if can give some leverage.

khaled_a_d

For 4-2-3-1 to work you have 2 formations

2 CM: One is a classic DM, the other is Box-to-Box midfielder

Obviously the above scenario won't work simply cuz we don't have Box-to-Box midfielder, plus Messi is not typical AM and not a winger.

Formation 2

2 CM: One is a classic DM, the other is classic center midfielder who work between DM/MC/AMC like Modric (for us Pjanic who is DM & CM/Puig)

The above formation is more suitable with the players we have. Messi still tactical obstacle.

In both scenarios, FDJ is either the b2b/CM while Busquets/Pjanuc are DM.
In both cases,and in reality Puig is competing with FDJ which is almost likely a lost battle since FDJ is the golden boy for Koemanand his top assistant.
Puig can stay and have a role, but he will get limited playing time, he is also 21 who have spent his B team career in 3rd division.
It is normal for coach to want him to go on loan tbh.
Pedri is 17, who has made a career in 2nd division, a season playing limited minutes at his age isn't that bad for him.

An important note: talent wise, I don't think it is close between tge two, Pedri is just that good of a talent, he will need a year or 2 to be difference maker but he is worth it.
I won't bet against Puig either, he has huge heart and will work a lot to prove doubters wrong, and FDJ has been far from impressive wearing blaugrana Jersey, if Puig decides to stay and fight for a place thenI don't have a problem with it either.

BusiTheKing

He looks real dependable. I feel like you can count on him to execute the available action even if it requires skill. But whether he can invent actions and go above the expected remains to be seen.

Porque

Only a cameo but Koeman must like him as he is a very expansive player.

It is a good sign (for Pedri) that Koeman sees him as the natural replacement for Coutinho.

He should get alot of cameos as with 5 subs it seems that Koemans tactic is to have the most workrate from his AML, AMC, AMR so these will be his regular subs around 60/70 mins.

Shame for Puig as I think there will be games where it will suit his profile.

Gnidrologist

Think Puig could be very good as AM too what with his through ball technique and vision. And he's faster than Coutinho or Pedri.

xXKonan

EjGW0BSXkAcH4Xi

Home of Barca Fans