Pichichi Trophy

Heath Newton

quick question everyone....

given that diego forlan and giuseppe rossi seem to be quite prolific in spain,yet both weren't considered good enough to force a constant 1st team place with us,what does it mean about how hard it is to score goals in la liga,in your opinions??

:unsure:

V

Valon

Well last year Torres, Ade and Crystiano scored for fun in EPL, this year Eto'o, Villa and Diego scored for fun in La Liga, imo it just means they're in form although Eto'o should've had around 40-45 goals by now but some african that doesn't like him probably voodoo'd him.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Rossi isn't that prolific at all. Not even in the Villareal squad. Forlan on the other hand seems to have had a rebirth, I watched him loads at United and he's playing infinitely better now. Maybe it's form, maybe it's constant practice, but he is a quality finisher now.

Evil

Shabazz
Bye Bye Pichichi for Eto'o, he got punished for wasting like 2 zillion chances ... Forlan deserves it more tbh.

IraqiCulé

given that diego forlan and giuseppe rossi seem to be quite prolific in spain,yet both weren't considered good enough to force a constant 1st team place with us,what does it mean about how hard it is to score goals in la liga,in your opinions??

Well Fernando Torres has been scoring in the EPL more regularly than in La Liga.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

rossi's not prolific. but he's found it easier to score goals because he's been given games to play, which he never had in england.

forlan had a similar problem but with him I think it was also a case of settling. he went straight from south america to england at the age of 22. in a spain where the language and lifestyle are similar he instantly flourished. although again, he's played regularly.

Heath Newton

Well last year Torres, Ade and Crystiano scored for fun in EPL, this year Eto'o, Villa and Diego scored for fun in La Liga, imo it just means they're in form although Eto'o should've had around 40-45 goals by now but some african that doesn't like him probably voodoo'd him.
is that a good thing though?and surely adebayor and torres were bought BECAUSE they're rated,not sold on because they weren't that highly rated??

Rossi isn't that prolific at all. Not even in the Villareal squad. Forlan on the other hand seems to have had a rebirth, I watched him loads at United and he's playing infinitely better now. Maybe it's form, maybe it's constant practice, but he is a quality finisher now.
he was before but lacked confidence (see how well he played and scored when he got a run)

rossi's not prolific. but he's found it easier to score goals because he's been given games to play, which he never had in england.

forlan had a similar problem but with him I think it was also a case of settling. he went straight from south america to england at the age of 22. in a spain where the language and lifestyle are similar he instantly flourished. although again, he's played regularly.

there was too much in front of both of them i suppose,and at bigger clubs there's also more pressure and more need to perform immediately.
rossi's got 1 in 2 though (minutes wise) which ain't bad,and diego's gone all david byrne and started burning down the house!!
1 in 2 for villareal and i think 50 in 70 for athletico...?

i don't know.:wacko:
i started a fatuous argument.:blush:

V

Valon

Well when Manchester bought Forlan back in 2002 they bought him because he was rated by Fergi. Just because he flopped doesn't mean he didn't have potential, imo he just couldn't settle in the culture. As Meta or someone else said in Spain he had a similar culture to that of Uruguay and started banging goals in his first season. I mean he won the Pichichi in his first season with Villareal and he shared the EGB with Henry that year. People go out on how better EPL is from La Liga and that's it's harder to score goals there which may be correct in a way. We all know EPL teams play a bit more defensively whereas in La Liga teams play a lot of the time an open game and you have a lot of goals. But the more defensive approach has helped EPL to dominate in Europe lately. This year was his best ever in terms of form for Forlan though, I mean he carried Atletico to champions league by himself.

Also one thing, Drogba was barely known before Chelsea from people that didn't follow Ligue 1 so in this debate I'd say that some players peak earlier and some later. Anyway I'm off I've got to get ready for a project presentation. :D

E

El Niño de Fuentealbilla

Eto'o has only himself to blame. He has missed a ton of chances, not only against Mallorca, but for months. He was scoring damn near 4 goals a game back in November, but now he can barely score 1.

Congratulations to Forlán. He deserves it, and if I'm not mistaken, he's also leading the charge for the '09 Golden Boot.

E

Esteve

The defending in the EPL is so overrated. Top 4 (not Arsenal, actually) are good at the back. Everton are decent too. There isn't a team in the bottom half of the league that can defend.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Everton, Fulham (surprisingly) have strong defences. But you're completely right there is a massive dropoff in terms of quality beyond the top 5-6. But that's true of most leagues, look at the point differences between us, madrid and the rest.

E

Esteve

Yeah, true, just saying because so many people take the piss out of La Liga & its defending as if the EPL is the only league worth thinking about ...

Home of Barca Fans