Ireland

Irish_Cules

Before the days of tiki-taka......

BJ19nksCQAM1SNT.jpg:large

Kerrybai

@MiguelDelaney: As it stands, including some players about to step up from reserves etc, there are 40 Irish players in Premier League, at 12 different clubs

:party1:

Jenks

Wouldn't surprise me! Only two clubs have over the 60% representation target, and only just.

Norwich City - 60.7%
Southampton - 60.5%
West Ham United - 51.4%
Tottenham Hotspur - 50.0%
Sunderland - 48.4%
Liverpool - 44.1%
Queens Park Rangers - 41.7%
Stoke City - 41.4%
Aston Villa - 40.6%
Manchester United - 40.0%
West Bromwich Albion - 39.4%
Newcastle United - 37.1%
Reading - 36.0%
Manchester City - 32.0%
Everton - 30.7%
Chelsea - 25.0%
Swansea City - 24.2%
Arsenal - 20.0%
Wigan Athletic - 19.4%
Fulham - 14.3%

ceefoo

FIFA

Latest allegations that FIFA paid the FAI (Football Association of Ireland) hush money, not to pursue a legal challenge over Thierry Henry handball in a 2009 World Cup Play-Off for France.

Source: TalkSport

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Legal challenge?

It was a handball, grave mistake by the refs, cost Ireland a (possible) WC place, but to file a legal challenge over it?

ceefoo

Legal challenge?

It was a handball, grave mistake by the refs, cost Ireland a (possible) WC place, but to file a legal challenge over it?
John Delaney CEO of FAI confirmed in an interview that the FAI received the payment from FIFA.

I gather that because Thierry Henry allegedly admitted to Richard Dunn (who played in said game) that he did make a handball prior to the goal being scored that eliminated Ireland from qualifying from the 2010 World Cup, they assume that they had a 'good case'.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
John Delaney CEO of FAI confirmed in an interview that the FAI received the payment from FIFA.

I gather that because Thierry Henry allegedly admitted to Richard Dunn (who played in said game) that he did make a handball prior to the goal being scored that eliminated Ireland from qualifying from the 2010 World Cup, they assume that they had a 'good case'.

I'm not sure that would have worked, but it's sad to see them taking the deal and backing out of a possible WC place in their minds(if they thought they had a really good case) which would have been monumental for their NT history.

ceefoo

I'm not sure that would have worked, but it's sad to see them taking the deal and backing out of a possible WC place in their minds(if they thought they had a really good case) which would have been monumental for their NT history.
John Delaney would not confirm how much was paid, but said fee is thought to be in the region of 5m Euros.

Jenks

I wouldn't go that far. They've qualified for a few in the past, and always got out of their group too.

Catalan Fan

I read the story earlier, it's quite bizarre.

Delaney was understandably pissed off at losing that way, but to go to Blatter and demand compensation or face legal action ? Farcical.There's no way that that legal action would overturn the result, he just wanted compensation (bribe).

So Fifa being Fifa duly obliged and gave the Irish 5m euros (according to reports).

It was illegal.Delaney effectively black mailed Fifa (knowing the system) and Fifa agreed.

I also wonder where the 5m euros ended up ?

ceefoo

We now understand the payment (approximately €5m) was initially paid as a loan to FAI to redevelop Ireland's National Football Stadium, and that the loan was essentially wiped-off in agreement with FAI to not pursue legal action re: Thierry Henry's handball.

It is not known whether Delaney approached FIFA, or FIFA approached Delaney, and asked him how much it would take to make the threat go away.

Catalan Fan

We now understand the payment (approximately €5m) was initially paid as a loan to FAI to redevelop Ireland's National Football Stadium, and that the loan was essentially wiped-off in agreement with FAI to not pursue legal action re: Thierry Henry's handball.

It is not known whether Delaney approached FIFA, or FIFA approached Delaney, and asked him how much it would take to make the threat go away.

Delaney approached Blatter, gave him an earful on a Thursday, and on the Monday the loan/bribe/compensation was signed off.

They are basically Delaney's words from the interview earlier.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33011692

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans