14 - Javier Mascherano

Nothanks

If he were 10cm taller he would of been known as one of the best centerbacks of this generation
only let down in his career was aerial battles

Nothanks

Someone his height needs to have tarzen level jumping (i.e like puyol) to pull it off at centerback and he just doesn't have it..

only reason he is being benched and had a year or two of being underrated was because he couldn't mark Benzema those several games when Di Maria went on god mode crossing

Other than being a la masia product, I really believe the only reason Pique has started over most our centerbacks over the years was just because he is 194cm and able to outmuscle strikers in corners / crosses (our "weakness" for the longest time until Umtiti came)

Total-Football

i think height is not a mandatory pre-requisite for a centerback. Cannavaro was not tall at all. And one of my personal favorites is Ivan Cordoba who i believe is shorter than Mascherano, yet he was rock solid at the back. As to mascherano, he is already established as a world class CB of this generation nevertheless so i don't understand what lead you to believe he is not rated.

Nothanks

I'm not saying height is everything, but it certainly helps...

he cannot stand his ground next to a strong striker in crosses or corners, his heading is average
he's a beast at sliding tackle, commanding the line, bravery etc but physically he is held back

players like Puyol (i reference him a lot because i'm sure most of you saw him play in his prime) were not pushed and out muscled easily, our biggest weaknesses came from crosses / corner

I see mascherano as a better version (skill wise / defensively) of prime Pepe (whom i rate highly despite his anger issues and antics) but Pepe had height/physicality which helped him a lot

Last edited:

Truthist

i think height is not a mandatory pre-requisite for a centerback. Cannavaro was not tall at all. And one of my personal favorites is Ivan Cordoba who i believe is shorter than Mascherano, yet he was rock solid at the back. As to mascherano, he is already established as a world class CB of this generation nevertheless so i don't understand what lead you to believe he is not rated.

The likes of Cannavaro, Cardoba and Ayala had fantastic jumps on them and held their own in aerial battles. Unfortunately, Nascherano doesn't but otherwise he is a colossus.

Nothanks

Puyol could out jump Pique despite the height difference, see the goal Carles scored against Germany in 2010 semi's

pique tried reaching for the ball from the corner but puyol beat him...

khaled_a_d

Sport saying he already told Bartomeu that he is leaving at the end of the season, probably will be heading to MLS
Pereft timing from his behalf

Alik

Sport saying he already told Bartomeu that he is leaving at the end of the season, probably will be heading to MLS
Pereft timing from his behalf

He can still play at a high level imo.

That being said, he's earned a semi-retirement if that's what he wants. David Villa has been having fun in the US.

Neymessi

Ahh. Will be painful letting him go. He still is worthy of playing in our colors and I am sure he will not be replaced well just like it has always happened.

Home of Barca Fans