14 - Javier Mascherano

xXKonan

[tw]861673810222878721[/tw]

Reading the article in English, it says he has a condition if he wants to stay, he doesn't want a limited role. as in not being 4th choice if we do go for a younger CB this summer.

God Serena

Doesn't want a limited role?

Pack your bags then, bud. You're already 3rd choice and a younger CB coming in should be able to outperform you if they're worthy of being brought in at all.

MIXA

No involvement at all against Las Palmas? Is he leaving? I hope he stays for one more season at least. He can still be very useful.

Let us not make the same mistake we made with Dani Alves. Younger does not mean better.

oneirophobos

No involvement at all against Las Palmas? Is he leaving? I hope he stays for one more season at least. He can still be very useful.

Let us not make the same mistake we made with Dani Alves. Younger does not mean better.

He had a minor injury/discomfort during the warm-up before LS, that's why he didn't play. He had quite a lot of those lately tbh. I still wish him to stay another season though, if he's seriously considering a career in coaching what better way to test out if mentoring younger players (while still getting minutes at a top club) is a right choice for him or not.

PhilS

I'd like to see him continue here next year, but I would not hold it against him if he choses to leave. It's amazing how well he as done as CB for this team, but this is now the Umtiti era. Masch can still get one more big contract, go back to playing a lot at DM, at a slightly lessor team.

khaled_a_d

I would accept whatever decision he makes,he is showing signs of decline and it could be bigger problem next year,he could choose to play in a team with less spaces in defense which would fit him at his age now. But he is a true leader and it could be a problem if we replaced all CBs except Pique in two years. Specially sense such position need experience

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'd like to see him continue here next year, but I would not hold it against him if he choses to leave. It's amazing how well he as done as CB for this team, but this is now the Umtiti era. Masch can still get one more big contract, go back to playing a lot at DM, at a slightly lessor team.

Sampaoli is reportedly going to play him as a CB in his 3-3-3-1 formation so I don't think him playing as a DM would make much sense ahead of his swan song.

Mascherano will be behind Umtiti in the pecking order, but he's a leader and with a new coach coming in, his leadership qualities could be great for a smooth transition. Would be nice for him to have one final year in Europe for us, before he moves on to his final years in Argentina for River Plate.

That said, he might not want to be a 3rd CB and may want to play one final year in Europe as an undisputed starter so it's going to be a tricky decision for him to make. Whatever he does, he's earned the right to it.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Hope this wasn't goodbye, deserved better than this. At least he can celebrate, the trophy was won for him as much as any of the others.

Home of Barca Fans