14 - Javier Mascherano

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
From what I was reading I get the impression that there is still a risk of him being sentenced into jail, that the court will be deciding later? Or is it going to be one of those "suspended sentences" that he can avoid by paying the taxes owed and some penalties?

Edit: Thanks Flavia, that is reassuring.

Martindn

Dont think anyone should to go jail for money related crimes, unless serious violence or emotional issues are involved. But you just know if he was an average guy he would get fucked, will get off with a big fine. Prison is for the poor.

F

Flavia

Dont think anyone should to go jail for money related crimes, unless serious violence or emotional issues are involved. But you just know if he was an average guy he would get fucked, will get off with a big fine. Prison is for the poor.
It's Spain system. If he was eligible to go to jail, he would, as he plays for Barça.

xavisionary

Silly Masch obviously thinks tax is only for the poor. When you hear of millionaires - who also get untold freebies - not respecting fiscal duties it really is a slap in the face.

F

Flavia

Javier Mascherano's letter after tax fraud sentences

Mascherano will avoid prison by paying his hefty fine. The player wrote this message:

Sport EN | 21.1.2016 | 19:48h.
Javier Mascherano published a message after he was given a one-year prison sentence and a fine for two counts of tax fraud. Here it is:

"Through this communication I would like to clarify some of the questions that have recently been linked to me.

Today I have reached a full and final settlement with the Spanish tax authorities that has been agreed by all parties. Now that the matter has been finally resolved, and with the peace of mind of knowing that the situation has reached an end I would like to make a short statement.

After agreeing my arrival at Barcelona I engaged the services of a prestigious Spanish tax firm of the highest professional standing and excellent reputation.

Having in consideration my situation, they recommended to me certain financial structures, all of which they informed me were common practise, totally transparent and accepted by the law.
I was assessed by these professionals from 2010 until 2014 when I decided to change my advisors in view of the proceedings that had been initiated against me along with evidence that my problem was no longer just a possibility but had become a reality.

My new advisors recommended that I should pay all the taxes being reclaimed by the Inland Revenue presenting what is referred to as ‘corrections’ over all the relevant fiscal years.
Now, finally, and after a bitter and painful episode in my life I have finally reached agreement which leaves me safe in the knowledge that I am fully up to date with all my financial obligations.

I am a professional sportsman and I do not have great knowledge of neither legal nor tax-related matters. For that reason I need to rely on the support of those people trained to deal with such matters that, for me, are complicated.

Throughout my career I have been honest and responsible, respecting my team mates at the clubs and all those countries where I have lived.
This situation I have found myself in I will treat as one more experience in my life from which, hopefully, I can emerge stronger, at peace and content in the knowledge that I am once again in compliance with the law.

I reserve the right to take possible action against those advisors who mismanaged my affairs and recommended things to me that were not correct."

Yannik

Good for Barca.
The harmless sentences by spanish courts might be the main reason why there are so many recent examples of tax evasions in the first place

Yannik

Why do players even hire "top" accountants? There is nothing more suspicious than that.
Anyone with a low degree in economics can do that just as well, many people even account themselves and you can google that shit for tutorials and so on. Its not hard, just a little time consuming.

AnnieSureshot

Its not hard, just a little time consuming.
Depends on what business you're in and how much money you're turning over. It can be loads of complicated and annoying paperwork. And you do want a good accountant not just anyone - they can really help you maximise profits within the law if they know what they're doing.

Yannik

Depends on what business you're in and how much money you're turning over. It can be loads of complicated and annoying paperwork. And you do want a good accountant not just anyone - they can really help you maximise profits within the law if they know what they're doing.

Yeah but I mean we're talking footballers here, not whole companies. Shouldn't be too complicated, of course you want an accountant that knows what he's doing, but there is a limit to how much you can maximize your profits by accounting and most professional accountants are able to hit that limit so there is no need to look for an even more prestigious accountant (that would also cost more).

AnnieSureshot

Yeah but I mean we're talking footballers here, not whole companies. Shouldn't be too complicated, of course you want an accountant that knows what he's doing, but there is a limit to how much you can maximize your profits by accounting and most professional accountants are able to hit that limit so there is no need to look for an even more prestigious accountant (that would also cost more).

The thing is they sort of are whole companies. They likely have multiple properties/shares/image rights/employees etc. That's multiple income sources and expense channels - it can get pretty complicated as many laws and rules are involved. With a high income also normally negligible percentages can come out as quite a lot of money, so sometimes it's cheaper to pay a good accountant to squeeze everything out of the turnover than loose even a few percent of it.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans