Champions League 2019-20

BarçaBarça

Not many seem to mention it, but if Champions League turns out to be with no second leg, we seriously have a shot.

A motivated Messi can win us the game against every club in the world, even Liverpool. He can't win 2 legs on his own.
With Griezmann great in knockout-games as well, Suarez maybe pitching a goal or two and Dembele as supersub, when opponent is tired and Messi has scored a freekick in 1st half - then we can go all the way.

Pique/Lenglet is not good enough to win CL, but Ter Stegen makes up for that, because he is the best goalkeeper in the world.
Alba costing us CL again, could happen of course, because he is quite shit, but fingers crossed that doesn't happen.
Midfield with De Jong, Vidal, Busquets/Arthur is subpar, but enough for Messi to cover over with goat-performances.

mc_lovin

Not many seem to mention it, but if Champions League turns out to be with no second leg, we seriously have a shot.

We would even have a shot with a 2nd leg. We nearly won it last year (and added Frenkie, Griezmann). Dont get me wrong, I expect nothing, but the other teams are far from frightening.

BarçaBarça

We would even have a shot with a 2nd leg. We nearly won it last year (and added Frenkie, Griezmann). Dont get me wrong, I expect nothing, but the other teams are far from frightening.

Yes, everyone else isn't stellar either, and Messi can win by walking around, while other teams rely more on pace and physical shape.
We don't do that, because we don't have much pace, lol.

I also expect nothing, and not many are right now - and that is a more healthy environment than the immense pressure on Barca in CL there was before, because of Real 3peat.

wisconsincule

Griezmann- Suarez - Messi

FDJ - Busi - Arthur

Alba - Lenglet - Pique - Semedo

Ter Stegen

This will be the team fielded in the final.

El Gato

Villarato!
With Premier League set to come back on 17th, La Liga on 11th, it's just figuring out what Italians will do and sorting out PSG plus-minus Lyon as to their home venues in 1/4s. Probably whoever plays them will have to cope with a neutral ground in both matches since it doesn't seem fair that French can't play on their home ground and others can.

I wonder if Ceferin is asking the clubs to not set their fixtures in midweek in July as to minimise the impact of Germans and French being completely out of sync with the other leagues. Bundesliga ends on 27th June while Serie A, La Liga and Premiership will finish around end July, including their cup fixtures.

If CL is to be played midweek in July, we may see the final early in August rather than cram CL in as a tournament. Analogous with Europa League although more leagues need to be in sync.

Neeraj

Personally, I'd just call this season off (across competitions). With the football calendar being so packed anyway, they could start the next season a bit earlier and spread out the games better. I know it's never going to happen, but that would be the best thing to do all things considered, IMO.

El Gato

Villarato!
Personally, I'd just call this season off (across competitions). With the football calendar being so packed anyway, they could start the next season a bit earlier and spread out the games better. I know it's never going to happen, but that would be the best thing to do all things considered, IMO.

Get ready for lawsuits by clubs like Rennes, Reims, Getafe or Lazio then. Sheffield United, Leeds, Liverpool and many others would also be happy with your decision.

FinBarcelonafan

Money man. It will never happen.

Messi983

Looks like there will be a final 8 played in Lisbon with quarter-finals, semi-finals and final all played in a single game format. Most clubs are pushing for this season to finish before August 29 as first planned by UEFA so they'll have more time to prepare for the next season.

According to MD UEFA will make a final decision on June 17 but if I'd have to guess I'd say final tournament will be played around August 10-20. There are still four return legs of Round of 16 that have to be played before.

img_vmauri_20200601-200240_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_ba009m1-kfFB-U481552976550vw-572x945@MundoDeportivo-Web.jpg

El Gato

Villarato!
I don't quite understand why they wouldn't place CL in between given league fixtures midweek. Maybe a calendar nightmare to sort it out and keep everyone happy across 5 countries participating in CL and 8-10 in EL, but it doesn't feel right to make Germans and French wait so long to play their legs. If I am Bayern or RBL, I'd pretty pissed to be so out of sync and rhythm. Just not sure if they should be more mad at their own FA or UEFA.

soul24rage

I don't quite understand why they wouldn't place CL in between given league fixtures midweek. Maybe a calendar nightmare to sort it out and keep everyone happy across 5 countries participating in CL and 8-10 in EL, but it doesn't feel right to make Germans and French wait so long to play their legs. If I am Bayern or RBL, I'd pretty pissed to be so out of sync and rhythm. Just not sure if they should be more mad at their own FA or UEFA.

I'm sure the German league and the French league will have friendlies with each other to keep up match fitness.

El Gato

Villarato!
I'm sure the German league and the French league will have friendlies with each other to keep up match fitness.

Only on German soil. Also, and maybe it's just me who doesn't know, do the French not impose 14 day quarantines for people coming back from abroad? Possibly this will stop within 2 months, but at the moment it's not so clear what the options are for PSG or Lyon.

soul24rage

Only on German soil. Also, and maybe it's just me who doesn't know, do the French not impose 14 day quarantines for people coming back from abroad? Possibly this will stop within 2 months, but at the moment it's not so clear what the options are for PSG or Lyon.

Maybe both the German and the French team could arrive in Lisbon first and have friendlies there.

But it is a schedule nightmare with UEFA not having made any confirmation so far.

El Gato

Villarato!
Now that I'm reading up they may not need to.

Some Telegraph article says
There will be no quarantine exemptions between the UK and France, with holidays not set to return until July at the earliest

France has reopened its bars, cafes and restaurants and lifted travel restrictions inside the country as part of “phase 2” of its lockdown exit plan.

It also intends to remove border restrictions with European countries without quarantine measures starting from June 15, except for people coming from countries with their own quarantine regimes, including Britain, where rules will be reciprocal.

And another Guardian article says Germany is one of those without quarantine meaning French and Germans will be able to travel. So friendlies are possible on German soil, or in another country without sport restrictions from which PSG and Lyon can travel to.

Home of Barca Fans