Lliga | Round 1: Athletic Bilbao - FC Barcelona 1-0

JohnN

I know the coach is supposed to see more things at training than we saw during the friendlies.
Still, according to the performances during the summer, the top midfield performers for me were:

1. FDJ
2. Alena
3. Puig
4. Rakitic
5. Sergi Roberto
6. Busquets
7. Vidal (not ready)
8. Arthur (not ready)

Our best midfield trio clearly was: FDJ - Alena - Sergi

Joking about Valverde aside:
1. Arthur is not ready yet, as well as Vidal, who I wouldn't count as a starter anyway.
2. FDJ will be a starter, either as a DM or a CM. I feel he will be the LCM, ruling out Alena and Puig.
3. Seniority and experience will have some merit from this point on, as San Mamés is a very tough ground. I would expect Busquets to start as a DM.
4. Last spot (RCM) is a tough one.
A strange thought occurred to me though. If Rakitic is considered in the negotiations for Neymar, then perhaps Valverde won't start him, in order to show him that he is not a starter anymore. And not just that. He will be replaced by Sergi Roberto of all people. This would show him that he is not a starter, even with Arthur not ready yet.

So i expect:
----------------------Mats----------------------
-------------------------------------------------
---Semedo----Pique-----Lenglet------Alba---
----------------------Busi----------------------
-----------Sergi---------------FDJ-------------
---Dembele----------------------Griezmann---
--------------------Suarez----------------------

EdmondDantes

I'd actually be quite content with a Busquets, Frenkie, Sergi midfield.

Roberto has got the legs and engine Rakitic has long lost and the bit of pace Rakitic has never had.

I'm convinced it will be Busquets, Frenkie & Rakitic though. Valverde rested them vs Napoli already.

Let's see what happens.

Devils

I feel DISGUSTED with myself that I'm going to spend a Friday evening watching Valverde as manager of this team and starting Rakitic and Busquests in the kick-off of the new season. 🤢🤢🤢

Valverde is a piece of shit.

Devils

ECCDRpSXUAESF3Q

No Todibo or Wague.

Meanwhile that bum Rafinha is STILL making the squad!

Valverde is a piece of shit!

Vilarrubi

I feel DISGUSTED with myself that I'm going to spend a Friday evening watching Valverde as manager of this team and starting Rakitic and Busquests in the kick-off of the new season. ������

Valverde is a piece of shit.

:lol: same

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't see how it makes sense to call-up Coutinho and discard Arthur and Vidal for this game. All three returned from Copa America late. No Todibo either.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I don't see how it makes sense to call-up Coutinho and discard Arthur and Vidal for this game. All three returned from Copa America late. No Todibo either.

Coutinho's "status" of a starter from the last season and the money paid to Liverpool earn him that.

soul24rage

Im guessing this will be the lineup

MATS---Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Alba---Rakitic, Busi, De Jong---Dembele, Suarez, Griezmann

Subs: Pena, Jr., Umtiti, Bob, Alena, Rafinha, Coutinho

abbbs97

Why the hell is Arthur not in the squad but Coutinho and Rafinha are? No Todibo, who is much better than Umtiti now. No Wague either. Of course EV will ignore the young players and go for the experienced yet worse ones.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Coutinho's "status" of a starter from the last season and the money paid to Liverpool earn him that.

Fucking hell man. We're stuck with him. I think Dembele's gonna be the behind Coutinho in the pecking order by November because of Ernieball reasons.

serghei

Man I hate this manager. No doubt one of the worst managers I've seen at the club since I've started supporting them. No charisma, no tactical nous, no leadership, no long term vision, no balls.

Why the hell is Todibo not in the squad after being possibly the best CB in the preseason?

Home of Barca Fans