Filipe Luis

Arizona Scott

Luis is a good and wily player. I like Monreal better for the Alba back up role for say 2 years, but either one would be good quality and smarts where we would not lose quite so much in our overall approach and coherence by letting Alba get some rest.

Leo_Messi

Luis is a good and wily player. I like Monreal better for the Alba back up role for say 2 years, but either one would be good quality and smarts where we would not lose quite so much in our overall approach and coherence by letting Alba get some rest.

Nacho Monreal is not a better player than Filipe Luís. Defensively nor offensively. Monreal is decent but Luís would be the better option. He was called up for Brazil last summer during the World Cup and made an appearance. Late last season he broke his fibula in his left leg and recovered after being out for only 2 months. Very impressive. Played great against Juve a few days ago as well.

We are talking about a left back that has been one of the best left backs in the world during his Atlético stint. He is not in his prime any longer but there is no doubt that he could be a backup for Alba for 1-2 seasons.

I would certainly take Luís over Monreal. There is only 6 months between them.

There is a reason why Monreal has been in the periphery for the national team (did not take part in the Euro win back in 2008, the World Cup win 2 years later or the Euro win in 2012) and that he has played for Arsenal since his move there in January 2013.

Filipe is currently the better player and has a bigger role (more playing time) for the much better club (Atlético) while facing much better competition in Lucas Hernández than Monreal has in Arsenal. It is a no brainer for me.

Another thing, Luís is pretty tall for a LB (1.82) and I think that he could play as a CB in rare emergencies. Monreal does not provide this added option.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

Nacho Monreal is not a better player than Filipe Luís. Defensively nor offensively. Monreal is decent but Luís would be the better option. He was called up for Brazil last summer during the World Cup and made an appearance. Late last season he broke his fibula in his left leg and recovered after being out for only 2 months. Very impressive. Played great against Juve a few days ago as well.

We are talking about a left back that has been one of the best left backs in the world during his Atlético stint. He is not in his prime any longer but there is no doubt that he could be a backup for Alba for 1-2 seasons.

I would certainly take Luís over Monreal. There is only 6 months between them.

There is a reason why Monreal has been in the periphery for the national team (did not take part in the Euro win back in 2008, the World Cup win 2 years later or the Euro win in 2012) and that he has played for Arsenal since his move there in January 2013.

Filipe is currently the better player and has a bigger role (more playing time) for the much better club (Atlético) while facing much better competition in Lucas Hernández than Monreal has in Arsenal. It is a no brainer for me.

Another thing, Luís is pretty tall for a LB (1.82) and I think that he could play as a CB in rare emergencies. Monreal does not provide this added option.

I am higher on Monreal than you are. I think he has been one of the best all around LB in the EPL the past 5 years. If anything making Spain is harder for players not playing in Spain and this is the hardest national team to play for in defensive and midfield spots--he has been called up because he has been very good. Monreal is also taller than any of our fullbacks and just 3cm shorter than Luis--not small. Monreal has played CB for Arsenal when they got a terrible injury run--so he has played it.

I have always been impressed with Luis too, well impressed with his effectiveness though very irritating as an opposing fan most of the time. So if we got him I think that would be a smart move. As you I wonder if he could also fill in at CB in a pinch, though I can't tell if he ever did.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I always thought he was a very weak link for Bayern when he played. Not as bad as Alberto Moreno, but nearly. I'd rather have Sergi back LB than use him.

He definitely was. I think as a backup for Alba playing league games he would have been more than good enough though. Brings some of the same qualities Alba possesses too.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I want Barca to get Alba’s eventual successor and develop him slowly behind alba. I don’t know what Alba’s contract situation is but that move can also give leverage there.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I want Barca to get Alba’s eventual successor and develop him slowly behind alba. I don’t know what Alba’s contract situation is but that move can also give leverage there.

That'd be nice, but don't think it's feasible. Alba will get 80% of the minutes and players like that need to play regularly instead of developing slowly. I cannot think of a player that played very little and didn't have his development completely stalled.

I think one of the reasons MAtS first season as a starter didn't go as well was because him not playing regularly had a negative effect on his development as a goalkeeper too. Otherwise he would have been at the level of his peers earlier.

Galning

I wouldn't sign him. Old dead weight in the team is the last thing we need. We never seem to be able to get rid of them afterwards either.

Andresito

Staff member
Time to sign him. 1+1 years would be great depending on the urgency to find a new LB next season. Alba's season was probably the best in his career, he doesn't need replacing now.

Filipe will give us time to look for better replacements as I'm not convinced by Firpo. Plus I'm a bit worried about our finances with Bartomeu's need for dick measuring by buying offensive superstars.

Respekt_III

CyaWouldntWannaBeYa
no, we have enough geriatrics as it is. thought we would of learnt our lesson with KPB, but then again when have we ever learnt any lessons lol

Home of Barca Fans