• Yes

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 47.8%

• Total voters

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
With Barca eliminating 2 of the best English teams and Real Madrid resurrecting with Perez threatening to take away the crown jewels of the Premiership (Kaka,Fabregas), are we witnessing a change in constellation?

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
the english teams have so much money it is hard to say the tide has turned.. next 3 seasons should tell.. this Barça team this season was just able to overcome anything in its path.. the other spanish teams still got beaten by english teams (villareal and real madrid got somewhat spanked)

BlaugranaGirl

No, it's not the end, just because of the money being pumped into the Prem. It's always going to have an advantage.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
That fire still burns my friend! I am on the front line giving them all shit but I respect your forum so I have been quiet as you build.

Surely you see that?

Heath Newton

probably not tbh.

No, it's not the end, just because of the money being pumped into the Prem. It's always going to have an advantage.

i think this is a bit of a misnomer tbf.

The Premier League's £2.7bn three-year TV deal is shared with some equality between the 20 clubs; English football's huge financial gap starts at the cliff over which Newcastle fell on Sunday. In Spain, by contrast, the top clubs sell their TV rights individually, which means Barcelona and Real Madrid make hugely more than others in the same league. Here United will earn just 1.7 times the Premier League TV income of West Brom, while in Spain it has been estimated that Barça make 14 times the money of the bottom club.

we might get a "cut" of a pretty hefty pie, but as you can see, it's all relative, and the fact is that we've shelled out £263m in interest payments alone in the last 3 years (due to no fault of the fans) so we're not exactly madrid like in our spending power.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bojan,noticed your post while typing this/editing it via preview, eventually there'll be a serie a like collapse (i assume) cos it's mostly built on straw.

abramovich is at the whim of putin imo, and if he pulls out due to being told, losing even more money and panicking, or does the wrong thing with guus and gets a free ride to Polloniumsville via moscow, then chelsea are cabbaged.

city should last a while, but who knows cos they've not been there long yet so i'll wait and see how impatient they get if success isn't in the next 2-3 years.

l/p gillett and hicks need to get on or sell up, but it's far from ideal for l/p

arsenal, might as well change their name to parsimoniousal while wenger's there, which still baffles me mildly, cos they moved into the emirates whilst telling one and all that it would put them on a level footing, spending wise with the others in the top 4, but it hasn't, apparently mostly due to wenger, so they'll probably be ok and eventually (one day :rolleyes:) come out of it smeling the rosiest of the "big 4"

us, as above, we were the most stable club on and off the pitch for a good while, but due to ambition and slight lack of foresight (selling shares to finance the stretford end rebuild, but not buying enough BACK afterwards) left ourselves open to murdoch (who the fans mostly spurned on their own :worthy:) and then saf's horse racing "mates", and eventually onto the odious american trolls who borrowed money to buy us, then lumbered us with bank balance that went from about 80m in the black to 600m o/d :eek:

i think cos of who we are and what we are (brandwise :rolleyes:),we're hardly gonna go tits up, but i can/could see us suffering along with everyone else when the time comes that tv is bored of the league.

as for the rest of the teams, when they suffer, the general quality of their players will lessen and that will show in how the bigger teams play eventually, especially if they're getting less competition week in week out.
this will probably be when the shit hits the fan(s) and it'll be someone else's turn.

la liga looks likely to take over (if it really is 2nd and not 1st already) but there are troubled times ahead for everyone, so who knows what'd happen if lots of teams from lots of countries go "pop" in the next few years. :unsure:

J

j.fisher

The Premier League is currently enjoying an embarrassment of riches, and it's shown itself in the insane amount of high level talent (especially in the big four). Both are great leagues, and comparing them has always been difficult to do for me. Of course I prefer La Liga because my club plays in the league. But to answer to question, no, the Premiership is not on the decline. If anything it's getting stronger.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
Heath (I wish I knew your first name) I believe that the EPL is a much stronger league than La Liga because they share out the TV revenue equally amongst the clubs. This is exactly as it should be and if La Liga is not careful we will be left behind.

However, having said the above, one has to admit that the UK system is flawed. All British clubs (apart from my one whom I gave a substantial donation to help set up (AFC Wimbledon)) are owned by an individual. The ELP which has now inspired the Indian Premier League (the cricket format which sickens everyone) is all that is wrong about capatalism. Don't get me wrong I am a capatalist, I run several companies in different continents there is nothing wrong with trying to earn money as long as it is ethical or else you are Italian (cue Gio).

Football however is a different kettle of fish. Football is for the people. It was originally a game played between villages with the goals being over a mile apart (mostly further apart) and the point was honour and glory. The game was for everyone, there were no rules or a cap on how many players could turn out.

Now the country that gave us football is run by Billionaires for their own entertainment. There is no development of players in England or the rest of the UK. What is their motivation?

It is time the game went back to the people. Maybe then England can rise again.

Necro Spaaw

NeSaVlaDiV
yes, because of the new tax law in EPL implementing players who get paid over 150 000 pounds a week will now have to pay 50% taxes LOL.. resulting in the outflow of talent from the EPL elsewhere. there is some trick to "avoid" this tho, but surely its a pain in the ass

S

Snyde

IMO Madrid might get Alonso but I doubt they'll get Cesc while Kaka doesn't play in the Prem. If they get Ronaldo it might be a major loss for the prem quality wise but IMO United will be quick to get his replacement/spend the huge amount wisely.

I really rate Pellergini and if Madrid are a bit patient with him (maybe not expect trophies just this year?) He can be big for them. He has the right philosophy and has good experience of the CL, he is the type of man that goes about his buisness without any fuss though I'd like to see how he manages Madrid's mad press compared to being Villareal where the only noise during the week comes from crickets. IMO if they come second (closely) in Liga playing good football + get into semis he'll stay.

I'd definitely like to see them eliminate an EPL side or two and IMO they can do it if Pellergini has control over his squad (little interference from Perez)

As for us I can definitely see our squad expanding and strengthening. Hopefully that can lead us to do even better in Europe. Oh wait...Hopefully it will allow us to win it again. I can def. see us in QF/semis atleast.

Sevilla are a team that's defensively very capable and IMO that'll help them alot and they'll be a strong team but I dunno if they'll be strong enough to beat EPL teams.

Atleti however have a lot of work to do if they want to go beyond the group stages. They need a good coach (hows the current one?) and I hope for them to get Ramos. As I said that'll be perfect for them. Obviously need to shore up defensively and maybe even in the center of midfield. Their attacking four are top class though.

With a bit of luck this can be a great year for Liga in the CL.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans