Diego Maradona

khaled_a_d

Single greatest tournament performance of the modern (80s onwards) era: 1986 WC.

Other candidates are Messi 10/11 CL, CR7 16/17 CL, Platini 84 Euros.

Peak for peak, Messi was the better player but Maradona could definitely do more in the face of adversity. Both GOAT tier.

There was an old Napoli fan on this forum who put Maradona right where he belongs,one of the best posts in this forum iirc but can't find it now as I didn'tbookmarksit.
But long story short, I don't see him anywhere near goat discussion.
He was a great player, but he wasn't even the best player in his era (that is Platini) and could be even argued whether he is top 2 either. His club career is underwhelming to say at least, NT career is the most stupid way to rate players and if it wasn't for having best month of his career in 86 he would have never been in those discussions.

That has nothing to do with Messi btw, I actually rate plenty of players ahead of Maradona in all time least, not just Messi

Morten

There was an old Napoli fan on this forum who put Maradona right where he belongs,one of the best posts in this forum iirc but can't find it now as I didn'tbookmarksit.
But long story short, I don't see him anywhere near goat discussion.
He was a great player, but he wasn't even the best player in his era (that is Platini) and could be even argued whether he is top 2 either. His club career is underwhelming to say at least, NT career is the most stupid way to rate players and if it wasn't for having best month of his career in 86 he would have never been in those discussions.

That has nothing to do with Messi btw, I actually rate plenty of players ahead of Maradona in all time least, not just Messi

Maradona isn`t even the 2nd best Argentine, if you look at club careers, instead of just NT.

Last edited:

JohnN

If players of that era were scrutinized and analyzed as much as today's, many would seem regular instead of spectacular.
It's hard to compare two different eras. People seem to think that quality has dropped in world football. But overall, if you could field an average modern team against a top team of the 80s, the result would be catastrophic for the later.

Messigician

If players of that era were scrutinized and analyzed as much as today's, many would seem regular instead of spectacular.
It's hard to compare two different eras. People seem to think that quality has dropped in world football. But overall, if you could field an average modern team against a top team of the 80s, the result would be catastrophic for the later.

Deluded players like George Best would run rings around modern defenders

Mitchell1978

Maradona isn`t even the 2nd best Argentine, if you look at club careers, instead of just NT.

True, Messi, Di Stefano, Pele, Puskas, CR7, M?ller and a couple of others all had GOAT level careers in terms of trophies, accolades, stats, length of prime, longevity

Maradona was immensely talented (maybe best touch and ballcontroll i have seen) and had that performance in the 86 WC, some good years at Napoli but like Ronaldo he had a short prime compared to other all time greats.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

True, Messi, Di Stefano, Pele, Puskas, CR7, M?ller and a couple of others all had GOAT level careers in terms of trophies, accolades, stats, length of prime, longevity

Maradona was immensely talented (maybe best touch and ballcontroll i have seen) and had that performance in the 86 WC, some good years at Napoli but like Ronaldo he had a short prime compared to other all time greats.

Correct me if i am wrong but M?ller? Gerd M?ller was 'just' a goal scorer if I am remeber right. A GOAT level player should contribute more than only goals.

Messigician

Every month this so called GOAT cries about " the player I could have been if it weren't for cocaine"

Lmfao I honestly think cocaine made him play better than without it.

Every month this so called GOAT cries about " the player I could have been if it weren't for cocaine"

Lmfao I honestly think cocaine made him play better than without it.

Technically the drugs do improve you, LSD definitely would have. Actually microdosing LSD and psychedelics are the future of increasing brain's creativity. A team on LSD would be unstoppable

Batistuta9

Correct me if i am wrong but M?ller? Gerd M?ller was 'just' a goal scorer if I am remeber right. A GOAT level player should contribute more than only goals.

He isn't on a GOAT level of talent but he definitely is for his stats and career. I would say even CR7 isn't GOAT level for talent but has had a fantastic career. Muller has won every trophy for bayern and Germany and scored big goals in major finals along with having a superb goal to game ratio throughout his career.

MagIX

Technically the drugs do improve you, LSD definitely would have. Actually microdosing LSD and psychedelics are the future of increasing brain's creativity. A team on LSD would be unstoppable

yeah like Pervitin for the nazi during the WW2

MagIX

I can't judge Pele or Di Stefano or Cruyff...
I judge only players I saw playing.
Absolutely no doubt for me, Maradona and Messi are the best players I've ever seen (proud to have seen them play even live:D)
Probably in term of pure talent, I think Maradona is the best. The control he had of the ball with his left foot was unique (after goicoechea's terrible foul when he was playing for Barcelona, he even lost some mobility in his left foot), game vision and so on.... genius
Messi is a little bit below in term of pure talent, BUT he delivered fantastic goat performances year after year after year after year..... unbelievable, genius, an alien.
Platini, Zico, Van Basten, Ronaldo, Ronaldhino, Zidane, Xavi, CR, (and others that I have certainly forgotten to mention).... all fantastic players, but not comparable the the 2 above.

I don't pretend to be a soccer expert or to be right, it's to be taken for what it is, simply my opinion.

Last edited:

vegitot

Nah, Messi is clearly superior. Playing at his level for decade. Maradona could never. Only his 1986 world cup performance is his biggest achievement to compare to Messi's.

Both are better than Pele though.

FinBarcelonafan

Nah, Messi is clearly superior. Playing at his level for decade. Maradona could never. Only his 1986 world cup performance is his biggest achievement to compare to Messi's.

Both are better than Pele though.

True. Longevity is on Messis side. Maradona crashed and burned.

Home of Barca Fans