Diego Maradona

Alik

Learned a lot of new stuff watching it?

Yes, although I didn't know much about him in the first place.

What struck me most is:
- how a footballers life has changed since then
-and how he fell from grace in Italy after Argentina knocked them out in the semi finals of the 1990 WC. Even though he was considered a God in Napoli back then. Which in some ways led him to losing the protection he had and to being banned from playing football there (implied by the documentary).

bismp

I was watching his highlights from 86WC…Man,that was simply insane,I dare say that was above prime Messi levels(and I mean no disrespect to Leo).

Stunning dribbling, superhuman speed and some pretty clever passes.

KingLeo10

Man was a speed demon in his youth. This is mostly pre-Guardiola era too.

His dribbling in the Guardiola era and 14/15 was more matured and overall more efficient, but he was never as fast as he was from 05-09.

Horatio

You're welcome

His dribbling in the Guardiola era and 14/15 was more matured and overall more efficient, but he was never as fast as he was from 05-09.

Plus defenders are way more athletic now than they were 30 years ago.

vegitot

Already a brillant playmaker in 2008/09
https://youtu.be/vV6Ma8T5-wg

He has already surprassed Maradona. Maldini in 2015 already said that (Maldini always says Maradona is the best player ever but admits Messi is better)

mc_lovin

Maradona, like Bobby Fischer in chess and Muhammad Ali in boxing, just has an incredible story. That will always count for something and is far more inspiring than counting titles on paper. I have absolutely no problem with people picking him above Messi for that reason.

Gnidrologist

Maradona was a "bad boy". A relict of olden times. Being 'bad' adds certain magnitude of intention and fighting spirit. Messi is an epitome of modern athlete, which means being a "good boy". Very controlled and correct in his attitudes and behavior. Maybe it somewhat stifles the warrior spirit and it just marginally makes him less clutch and there's less 'story'. He just goes to play football like any of us goes to work and that's it. Maradona and people like him were not just talented, but also a bit crazy in the head and that adds certain dimension that Messi, despite his immense genius, doesn't have.

Maradona was a "bad boy". A relict of olden times. Being 'bad' adds certain magnitude of intention and fighting spirit. Messi is an epitome of modern athlete, which means being a "good boy". Very controlled and correct in his attitudes and behavior. Maybe it somewhat stifles the warrior spirit and it just marginally makes him less clutch and there's less 'story'. He just goes to play football like any of us goes to work and that's it. Maradona and people like him were not just talented, but also a bit crazy in the head and that adds certain dimension that Messi, despite his immense genius, doesn't have.

He can have it, just needs to start taking cocaine and microdosing with LSD. Dangerous driving with constant cheating the Death moments is also quite helpful

Total-Football

And for those exact reasons u mentioned.. Messi have shit load of attributes that maradonna doesn't have which go hand in hand with "good boy" Ness.. Namely.. Elite athleticism.. Messi is much much much superior to maradonna athletically.. Wenger once said, Messi is like maradonna equipped with turbo. The turbo is a result of genetics but mainly work work work work work.

Home of Barca Fans