Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 370

Thread: Diego Maradona

  1. #256
    Senior Member
    khaled_a_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cairo
    Posts
    11,616
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Single greatest tournament performance of the modern (80s onwards) era: 1986 WC.

    Other candidates are Messi 10/11 CL, CR7 16/17 CL, Platini 84 Euros.

    Peak for peak, Messi was the better player but Maradona could definitely do more in the face of adversity. Both GOAT tier.
    There was an old Napoli fan on this forum who put Maradona right where he belongs,one of the best posts in this forum iirc but can't find it now as I didn'tbookmarksit.
    But long story short, I don't see him anywhere near goat discussion.
    He was a great player, but he wasn't even the best player in his era (that is Platini) and could be even argued whether he is top 2 either. His club career is underwhelming to say at least, NT career is the most stupid way to rate players and if it wasn't for having best month of his career in 86 he would have never been in those discussions.

    That has nothing to do with Messi btw, I actually rate plenty of players ahead of Maradona in all time least, not just Messi

  2. #257
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    11,220
    Quote Originally Posted by khaled_a_d View Post
    There was an old Napoli fan on this forum who put Maradona right where he belongs,one of the best posts in this forum iirc but can't find it now as I didn'tbookmarksit.
    But long story short, I don't see him anywhere near goat discussion.
    He was a great player, but he wasn't even the best player in his era (that is Platini) and could be even argued whether he is top 2 either. His club career is underwhelming to say at least, NT career is the most stupid way to rate players and if it wasn't for having best month of his career in 86 he would have never been in those discussions.

    That has nothing to do with Messi btw, I actually rate plenty of players ahead of Maradona in all time least, not just Messi
    Maradona isn`t even the 2nd best Argentine, if you look at club careers, instead of just NT.
    Last edited by Morten; 30th October 2020 at 09:46 PM.

  3. #258
    Senior Member
    JohnN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,530
    If players of that era were scrutinized and analyzed as much as today's, many would seem regular instead of spectacular.
    It's hard to compare two different eras. People seem to think that quality has dropped in world football. But overall, if you could field an average modern team against a top team of the 80s, the result would be catastrophic for the later.

  4. #259
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6,311
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    If players of that era were scrutinized and analyzed as much as today's, many would seem regular instead of spectacular.
    It's hard to compare two different eras. People seem to think that quality has dropped in world football. But overall, if you could field an average modern team against a top team of the 80s, the result would be catastrophic for the later.
    Deluded players like George Best would run rings around modern defenders

  5. #260
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    Maradona isn`t even the 2nd best Argentine, if you look at club careers, instead of just NT.
    True, Messi, Di Stefano, Pele, Puskas, CR7, M?ller and a couple of others all had GOAT level careers in terms of trophies, accolades, stats, length of prime, longevity

    Maradona was immensely talented (maybe best touch and ballcontroll i have seen) and had that performance in the 86 WC, some good years at Napoli but like Ronaldo he had a short prime compared to other all time greats.

  6. #261
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell1978 View Post
    True, Messi, Di Stefano, Pele, Puskas, CR7, M?ller and a couple of others all had GOAT level careers in terms of trophies, accolades, stats, length of prime, longevity

    Maradona was immensely talented (maybe best touch and ballcontroll i have seen) and had that performance in the 86 WC, some good years at Napoli but like Ronaldo he had a short prime compared to other all time greats.
    Correct me if i am wrong but M?ller? Gerd M?ller was 'just' a goal scorer if I am remeber right. A GOAT level player should contribute more than only goals.

  7. #262
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6,311
    Every month this so called GOAT cries about " the player I could have been if it weren't for cocaine"

    Lmfao I honestly think cocaine made him play better than without it.

  8. #263
    Junior Member
    IvanAtanasov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Messigician View Post
    Every month this so called GOAT cries about " the player I could have been if it weren't for cocaine"

    Lmfao I honestly think cocaine made him play better than without it.
    Technically the drugs do improve you, LSD definitely would have. Actually microdosing LSD and psychedelics are the future of increasing brain's creativity. A team on LSD would be unstoppable
    "Cruyff killed me in front of the rest of the team and then in private he told me that I was the best." (Hristo Stoichkov)

  9. #264
    Senior Member
    Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanAtanasov View Post
    Technically the drugs do improve you, LSD definitely would have. Actually microdosing LSD and psychedelics are the future of increasing brain's creativity. A team on LSD would be unstoppable


    Skip to 2:25

  10. #265
    Senior Member
    Batistuta9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Fati_Future_BallonDor View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong but M?ller? Gerd M?ller was 'just' a goal scorer if I am remeber right. A GOAT level player should contribute more than only goals.
    He isn't on a GOAT level of talent but he definitely is for his stats and career. I would say even CR7 isn't GOAT level for talent but has had a fantastic career. Muller has won every trophy for bayern and Germany and scored big goals in major finals along with having a superb goal to game ratio throughout his career.

  11. #266
    Junior Member
    IvanAtanasov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post


    Skip to 2:25
    that's hilarious, love it Time travel
    Last edited by IvanAtanasov; 31st October 2020 at 03:17 PM.
    "Cruyff killed me in front of the rest of the team and then in private he told me that I was the best." (Hristo Stoichkov)

  12. #267
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanAtanasov View Post
    Technically the drugs do improve you, LSD definitely would have. Actually microdosing LSD and psychedelics are the future of increasing brain's creativity. A team on LSD would be unstoppable
    yeah like Pervitin for the nazi during the WW2
    “I would love to have played at this club. I am envious of how well Guardiola's men can play. They are like a group of kids who play football in the street without rules. That is the best football, the most authentic, unfettered by tactics or schemes. Guardiola’s philosophy is helping to change the mindset of many tacticians and that is priceless.” Marco Van Basten

  13. #268
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,797
    I can't judge Pele or Di Stefano or Cruyff...
    I judge only players I saw playing.
    Absolutely no doubt for me, Maradona and Messi are the best players I've ever seen (proud to have seen them play even live)
    Probably in term of pure talent, I think Maradona is the best. The control he had of the ball with his left foot was unique (after goicoechea's terrible foul when he was playing for Barcelona, he even lost some mobility in his left foot), game vision and so on.... genius
    Messi is a little bit below in term of pure talent, BUT he delivered fantastic goat performances year after year after year after year..... unbelievable, genius, an alien.
    Platini, Zico, Van Basten, Ronaldo, Ronaldhino, Zidane, Xavi, CR, (and others that I have certainly forgotten to mention).... all fantastic players, but not comparable the the 2 above.

    I don't pretend to be a soccer expert or to be right, it's to be taken for what it is, simply my opinion.
    Last edited by MagIX; 31st October 2020 at 05:03 PM.
    “I would love to have played at this club. I am envious of how well Guardiola's men can play. They are like a group of kids who play football in the street without rules. That is the best football, the most authentic, unfettered by tactics or schemes. Guardiola’s philosophy is helping to change the mindset of many tacticians and that is priceless.” Marco Van Basten

  14. #269
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,380
    Nah, Messi is clearly superior. Playing at his level for decade. Maradona could never. Only his 1986 world cup performance is his biggest achievement to compare to Messi's.

    Both are better than Pele though.

  15. #270
    Senior Member
    FinBarcelonafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Turku
    Posts
    10,408
    Quote Originally Posted by vegitot View Post
    Nah, Messi is clearly superior. Playing at his level for decade. Maradona could never. Only his 1986 world cup performance is his biggest achievement to compare to Messi's.

    Both are better than Pele though.
    True. Longevity is on Messis side. Maradona crashed and burned.

Tags for this Thread