Diego Maradona

Alik

Wow. Messi is the greatest club player ever.

Outside of World Cup, not impressed with Maradonas resume.

Of course. Been saying it for a while. People tend to focus on Messi's failures but completely ignore Maradona's ones which are far more numerous.

El Flaco

Of course. Been saying it for a while. People tend to focus on Messi's failures but completely ignore Maradona's ones which are far more numerous.

People don't hold it against him since his best years were spent in a "bad" Napoli team & managed to single-handedly won 2 Scudettos for them.

Therefore, Maradona's legacy is completely exempted from any criticism.

malvolio

maradona would have been eaten alive in the era of social media.

how many people have seen him play on tv(not even mentioning live), in his prime? nowadays every one has a tv/internet connection and can see football matches at will. not to mention the endless videos on the streaming platforms, documentaries, football stats websites, tv shows etc. his performance would be monitored and debated extensively.

also, we would have seen his coke snorting habit in all its glory. tabloids would have a field day and career would be over in no time.

Last edited:

MagIX

Happy birthday Diego !

Exclusiva MARCA: 156 estrellas felicitan al Diego, "Eternamente Maradona"

KingLeo10

Single greatest tournament performance of the modern (80s onwards) era: 1986 WC.

Other candidates are Messi 10/11 CL, CR7 16/17 CL, Platini 84 Euros.

Peak for peak, Messi was the better player but Maradona could definitely do more in the face of adversity. Both GOAT tier.

Mitchell1978

Maradona could definitely do more in the face of adversity.

cocaine is one hell of a drug...

Anyway, Maradona never maintained his peak level over a season like Messi has done numerous times.
Taking everythign into account, trophies, stats, individual accolades, durability, longevity, length of prime, there is no comparison, Messi is far above, actually find Pele closer to Leo then Maradona.

Morten

Anyway, Maradona never maintained his peak level over a season like Messi has done numerous times.
Taking everythign into account, trophies, stats, individual accolades, durability, longevity, length of prime, there is no comparison, Messi is far above, actually find Pele closer to Leo then Maradona.

Wasn`t Maradona more of a "scorer of great goals, but not a great goalscorer"-type?
Incredible playmaking skills, but his highest goalscoring season is 20-30 goals or something?

KingLeo10

:lol: You are immensely insecure when it comes to any criticism of Messi. His WC performances have been subpar for a player of his supernatural talent and production at the club level. So have CR7's (even worse actually) and that is a negative for both of them.

Where are Messi's goals (or even assists? He had 1 v France AFAIK) in the WC in the face of adversity against Germany, Netherlands, or a France? Maradona put his best against the England, Germany, Italy and co. in the WC KO stages.

What I said: "Peak for peak, Messi was the better player but Maradona could definitely do more in the face of adversity. Both GOAT tier." is what 99% on sane, non-deluded Messi fanboys like you would find agreeable.

Mitchell1978

Maybe he meant cocaine made Maradona braver :p

To some extent, he probably was using cocaine in that WC.

I really don't care, i don't think cocaine enhances physical performance but saying Maradona was better in the face of adversity i don't agree. In the face of adversity he got addicted to drugs thats my point.

Maradona wasn't even tought of of GOAT level player prior to that WC, Platini was considered the best player in the World. He didn't have the pressure to defend his status.

Throughout his career he lacked discipline to maintain his best shape, his weight etc

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

:lol: You are immensely insecure when it comes to any criticism of Messi. His WC performances have been subpar for a player of his supernatural talent and production at the club level. So have CR7's (even worse actually) and that is a negative for both of them.

Where are Messi's goals (or even assists? He had 1 v France AFAIK) in the WC in the face of adversity against Germany, Netherlands, or a France? Maradona put his best against the England, Germany, Italy and co. in the WC KO stages.

What I said: "Peak for peak, Messi was the better player but Maradona could definitely do more in the face of adversity. Both GOAT tier." is what 99% on sane, non-deluded Messi fanboys like you would find agreeable.

(He had 2 assists against France.)

btw never denied that Maradona's performance in the 86WC probably is the best individual performance in a WC, far better then Messi's at the WC.

But how does that changes that what i said "Maradona never maintained his peak level over a season like Messi has done numerous times." Season is a full clubseason btw. the WC is a seperate tournament.

Home of Barca Fans