Ernesto Valverde

Marshall D Teach

We should revisit the idea of Griezmann playing in midfield.

FDJ is clearly levels better as a CDM regista than he was at RCM or LCM, has way more influence on the game and the tone of our possessions from start to finish. He needs total field vision and the ability to build up a head of steam from deep positions. His best plays come when he is behind the main zones of buildup and pushing forward to support whenever/wherever he feels needed, like the guiding hand for our circulation of the ball.

Rakitic is a horrible, absentee partner at the RCM spot. Roberto is too inconsistent and a niche player that mostly performs in end to end games at home.

What people want is someone who is more offensive than FDJ and Arthur, a high level runner off the ball, creates chances, and attacks free space in the final third. Enter Griezmann, who does all of these things. He also puts in more than his fair share of defensive support. His best weapon as a player is linkup play and 1-2's, which he'll get plenty of if he's in close proximity to Messi/FDJ/Arthur.

It also allows a fluid system in which Messi can drop deep, move wide, or push up, and Griez can rotate to occupy the different empty spaces in response to Leo's movement. He'd be very complementary to Messi in that role.

Plus it seems like Suarez is definitely gonna be a starter no matter what, sadly.

Ansu-Suarez-Messi
Arthur-FDJ-Griezmann
Alba-Lenglet-Pique-Semedo

Dembele can rotate with Ansu or, if he manages to up his level and be truly productive, he can be the full time starter there this season.

This iteration of our lineup has the greatest # of high level runners off the ball and players with good defensive workrate. It also gives us a midfield where every single player is mobile and dynamic, not static like Busi/Rakitic.

Not a bad idea. Plus Arthur, FDJ and Griezmann all run a lot. None of the 3 is a traditional out and out DM but the defensive workrate between the 3 could make up for that.

jamrock

That midfield can't work, but the point about a more offensive midfielder is a good one, next season I want someone who can play in that position as we transition away from busquets

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
PSG are destroying Real Madrid in an away game with that pathetic starting lineup. Meanwhile we have to fight for our lives to get a point in an away game in the CL.

Something is very wrong. We have to move on from some of our players, but the mentality and energy Valverde transmit along with his garbage tactical choices is going to lead to our downfall yet again.

Marshall D Teach

PSG are destroying Real Madrid in an away game with that pathetic starting lineup. Meanwhile we have to fight for our lives to get a point in an away game in the CL.

Something is very wrong. We have to move on from some of our players, but the mentality and energy Valverde transmit along with his garbage tactical choices is going to lead to our downfall yet again.

PSG is at home.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
QSG are Barca lite. Did you really think they'd dominate away from home?

Still the standard bearers for choking, the Parisians.

:griezmann:

True. Anyway back to Barca.

If I was playing football manager or had endless resources :nasser:

I would seriously look at signing Fabian Ruiz/Havertz, Konaté and Neymar(let's face it, it's gonna happen)/Mbappe(more like wishful thinking, but yeah..).

It's time to retire Busquets, Pique and we really need some width and pace on the LW.

Leo_Messi

The lot defending Malmierda are probably the same people who would keep discovering their wife/girlfriend engaging in an orgy and after the initial shock finding excuses not to leave her only for her to repeat her behavior.:lol:

Even if Malmierda ends up winning el triplete this season (highly doubtful) nothing will ever make up for the gigantic Roma and Liverpool fiascos that occurred 2 seasons in a row in almost identical fashions. At least not for me. The Roma fiasco was already unforgivable and should have resulted in an immediate sacking.

While I am writing this post, I have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that our cancerous board led by the spineless incompetent coward, Bartofeo, has not sacked Malmierda already and afterwards resigning themselves.

Barcilliant

If we had gone to Paris Qsg would have destroyed us. They pressed very hard and had intensity and energy all over the park.

Our mentality and intensity is woeful. This time the group stages will be tough. I won't be surprised if we finished in second or third place.

Messigician

If we had gone to Paris Qsg would have destroyed us. They pressed very hard and had intensity and energy all over the park.

Our mentality and intensity is woeful. This time the group stages will be tough. I won't be surprised if we finished in second or third place.

Stop moaning, we trash any team in the world at home

wisconsincule

We just played the hardest match of the group stages with a not fit Messi. We don’t know what the team setup with be yet. We will win the group and probably not lose a single match.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
I'm not sure if he actually doesn't teach any sort of ideas on defense -> midfield -> frontline transitions (now that we have FDJ and Arthur), or if he does that but the seniors are just so damn lifeless that they don't bother implementing it.

EITHER of those options is DAMNING.

An elite coach is a requirement for CL these days.

CL winning managers in 2010s:

Mourinho
Guardiola
Di Matteo (Fluke of the century)
Don Jupp
Ancelotti
Lucho (not elite but above average and had the greatest attack in club football history)
Zidane
Zidane
Zidane
Klopp

Valverde is like a janitor compared to those names. Our only hope is a Di Matteo fluke but even he had a relatively hungry core (no CL success yet)

Zidane is not a top manager or tactician. He was mighty lucky to win three on the bounce and that was mainly down to CR7.

Home of Barca Fans