Ernesto Valverde

LeeRomeno

You do realize the difference between "one of the worst ways possible" and "worst way possible" right?

Perhaps you should learn to read first.

Here, I made it easier for you to understand.

Sure, does not change what my point is at all. Actually getting to semis means that we did win alot of games. And that this forum has a habit of demonizing and overexaggerating when it comes to Valverde.

Tackle

You do realize the difference between "one of the worst ways possible" and "worst way possible" right?

Perhaps you should learn to read first.

Here, I made it easier for you to understand.

I fail to see how losing on away goals and by one goal on aggregate is "one of the worst ways possible" to lose. That simply isn't objectively true. You can contrast the difference in scorelines between the legs and point to the collapses, but when judging them as two-legged ties in their totality and without emotional biases things balance out.

Against both Roma and Liverpool we we got incredibly lucky in the first legs and walked away with results that flattered us. Exactly the opposite happened in the away ties.

DacwUMlXUAANOpo

D5_k575XkAIjMN5

I know the conventional wisdom and revisionist history suggests we were utterly played off the pitch in both matches and Valverde deserves to shoulder almost all of the blame, but no statistical measure supports that conclusion whatsoever. Fans view these matches with inherent prejudices due to the nature of the collapse, the coach, the starting XI, emotional and physiological burden etc.

KingLeo10

I fail to see how losing on away goals and by one goal on aggregate is "one of the worst ways possible" to lose. That simply isn't objectively true. You can contrast the difference in scorelines between the legs and point to the collapses, but when judging them as two-legged ties in their totality and without emotional biases things balance out.

Against both Roma and Liverpool we we got incredibly lucky in the first legs and walked away with results that flattered us. Exactly the opposite happened in the away ties.

DacwUMlXUAANOpo

D5_k575XkAIjMN5

I know the conventional wisdom and revisionist history suggests we were utterly played off the pitch in both matches and Valverde deserves to shoulder almost all of the blame, but no statistical measure supports that conclusion whatsoever. Fans view these matches with inherent prejudices due to the nature of the collapse, the coach, the starting XI, emotional and physiological burden etc.

In the factual world, 0-3 and 0-4 happened. You can dismiss the 0-3 as an aberration but the exact same collapse happened again in the exact same fashion. Terrible luck? Partly. But a component of luck is preparation and EV was literally being paid 23 M to prepare us. I blame the players too but EV was the major culprit and then the seniors.

And if you want to use xG as the metric above all metrics, Pep should have won 2 CLs since he left Barca. So clearly the metric isn't infallible.

Last edited:

Andrew M

I'm not a Valverde fan but the precedent for getting destroyed away from home dates back to before his time. There is a deeper, inveterate issue at play here

serghei

I'm not a Valverde fan but the precedent for getting destroyed away from home dates back to before his time. There is a deeper, inveterate issue at play here

Sure. He didn't create the issues. He just made them worse by not doing anything to fix them and giving veterans even more power than they had before his time.

Andrew M

Sure. He didn't create the issues. He just made them worse by not doing anything to fix them and giving veterans even more power than they had before his time.

Yeah that's a fair assessment. If anything he made the away performances worse. But the root cause predates him.

It also predates the sale of Neymar, to those who naively view his reaqcuisition as a solution to all our woes

Last edited:

Devils

Everyday we should could our blessings.

Everyday we should be thankful that Valverde is no longer our manager.

We move.

BusiTheKing

Still can't believe we nearly went undefeated that one league season.

If Valverde did have a special power, it was to subdue games into this listless affair that somehow lulled opponents into passivity. A stalemate of contentment and mutual security that allowed Messi to launch his swift incursions on unsuspecting victims.

Vilarrubi

GOATverde rocking the beard. Hope he’s getting all the Basque bitches in his retirement.

[tw]1227926193476972545[/tw]

soul24rage

he does look much better with a beard.

Unfortunately, what he thinks the word domination means is one the reasons why he was sacked.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
It's hilarious this guy still think those debacles were just due to some "moments" that happen in football... Completely delusional...

Home of Barca Fans