Ernesto Valverde

serghei

It's actually hilarious that he's taken this personal.

When after a 0-4 drubbing at Anfield at the hands of Origi and Wijnaldum, his response was "It is what it is".

Actual legends of the game like Carlo (5 CLs as player/manager) were more gracious and he'd been wronged by Napoli, Bayern, and RM.

The board overruled the veterans for once and decided to act. The problem with Ernie is that he doesn't have any authority and this is why people don't really respect his stature in the club.

That is the problem when you are a yes man, and you are not seen as fully in charge of things. Your power and influence is low, and you're kept out of the loop on major things.

Is there really anyone that would accept a 6 month job? Who’s a good assistant manager at a top flight club?

Thierry Henry is another option

Setien would be a good choice.

Nucky

Is there really anyone that would accept a 6 month job? Who’s a good assistant manager at a top flight club?

Thierry Henry is another option

Option for what? What can Henry do in 6 months? I agree that Valverde should leave since is obivious he is not fit to manage Barca but in the summer. Not even Pep could do much in these few months. Let Valverde finish the season and then Xavi/Koeman or someone else takes over..

KingLeo10

Come to think of it, wasn't one of the big reasons for Ancelotti's firing that they didn't win the league in either season (along with 3 L in 4 games v Barca) when they were very strong in Europe? (CL, CL SF)

Huh. It's almost like I'm speaking common sense. :messi:

Nazario1985

I don't think Xavi don't have the balls to start mid-season like Zidane did after the catastrophic first half of the season from Benitez, But rather his actual club making pressure for him the finish the season.

Also FCB have To sack EV before signing anyone, who the hell would do that to another manager singing with the club before the sack hammer !!

El Gato

Villarato!
It's a matter of plausibility. Between our wordings and opinions, any sane person would find mine more plausible. Maybe you should go take a look at some RM forums following those Clasico results to see what sort of impact they had on the assessment of the manager. No one's saying CL results were inconsequential (one would have to a simpleton of your level to come to such a conclusion). What is true that even in the absence of serious CL fixtures, Lope wasn't allowed to continue after RM got embarrassed by Barca.

And this bit would be part of the conversation. But you seem to not be interested in accepting a notion that perhaps no, Clasicos weren't nearly as key to these sackings and it was far more to do with:

a) In the case of Lopetegui -> Shit form of the team between mid-September and late-October 2018 + an unprecedented goalless streak effectively costing us the league in early autumn knowing we're toothless upfront and won't be able to steamroll teams with ease to get favourable position back.

b) In the case of Solari -> Not seeing what is a favourable CL tie (2:1 advantage from the away game) through on your home ground.

In support of the former, league in 2015 during Benitez tenure was much closer when it got to the Clasico. We have had 6W, 3D, 1L (21 points) in 10 matches leading up to the Clasico compared to your 9W, 2L (27 points). Meaning the Clasico was the case of 'lose and it's very difficult to even be in the conversation with MSN'.
Compare that situation with 18/19 -> Barcelona 5W, 3D, 1L (18 points) to RM's 4W, 2D, 4L (14 points) with a goalless streak. What do you think was the difference and why one was kept and one wasn't?

Then you go onto Solari and think of Clasicos. First we have the Copa Clasico which ends 3-0 after a great performance and the problems are recognised immediately by anybody who had watched the game. Same, to a lesser extent, in a decaffeineated league Clasico. Why do you think Solari wasn't sacked immediately, but kept for the CL tie? Hm? And do you honestly mean to tell me he'd get a sack if he had drawn 0-0 against Ajax? Or lost 0-1 but advanced to the next tie?

Equally as you loosely use 'in the wake of', I use 'little to do with'. In the wake of implies following and usually immediately after. Otherwise what's the point of using 'in the wake of' if you could have used the same reasoning 2, 3, 4 or 5 weeks after the loss?

P.S. - It's kinda cute how you log off immediately after posting and watch the thread as a 'guest' and 10-15 mins later, voila, a response. Patterns.

I don't. It's probably an invisible setting. Didn't even know it was on, probably since 2009.

Vilarrubi

Option for what? What can Henry do in 6 months? I agree that Valverde should leave since is obivious he is not fit to manage Barca but in the summer. Not even Pep could do much in these few months. Let Valverde finish the season and then Xavi/Koeman or someone else takes over..

Nah, Valverde is like a piece of shit on your shoe. Stood in it 2 years ago in Rome and still haven’t washed it off. It’s been getting stinkier ever since you left it there, need to wash that shit off ASAP, can’t risk keeping it on there 6 months longer, it’s already nearly ruined the shoes long term, maybe there’s a small chance the shoes can prevail once the shit’s gone.

KingLeo10

And this bit would be part of the conversation. But you seem to not be interested in accepting a notion that perhaps no, Clasicos weren't nearly as key to these sackings and it was far more to do with:

a) In the case of Lopetegui -> Shit form of the team between mid-September and late-October 2018 + an unprecedented goalless streak effectively costing us the league in early autumn knowing we're toothless upfront and won't be able to steamroll teams with ease to get favourable position back.

b) In the case of Solari -> Not seeing what is a favourable CL tie (2:1 advantage from the away game) through on your home ground.

In support of the former, league in 2015 during Benitez tenure was much closer when it got to the Clasico. We have had 6W, 3D, 1L (21 points) in 10 matches leading up to the Clasico compared to your 9W, 2L (27 points). Meaning the Clasico was the case of 'lose and it's very difficult to even be in the conversation with MSN'.
Compare that situation with 18/19 -> Barcelona 5W, 3D, 1L (18 points) to RM's 4W, 2D, 4L (14 points) with a goalless streak. What do you think was the difference and why one was kept and one wasn't?

Then you go onto Solari and think of Clasicos. First we have the Copa Clasico which ends 3-0 after a great performance and the problems are recognised immediately by anybody who had watched the game. Same, to a lesser extent, in a decaffeineated league Clasico. Why do you think Solari wasn't sacked immediately, but kept for the CL tie? Hm? And do you honestly mean to tell me he'd get a sack if he had drawn 0-0 against Ajax? Or lost 0-1 but advanced to the next tie?

Equally as you loosely use 'in the wake of', I use 'little to do with'. In the wake of implies following and usually immediately after. Otherwise what's the point of using 'in the wake of' if you could have used the same reasoning 2, 3, 4 or 5 weeks after the loss?

I don't. It's probably an invisible setting. Didn't even know it was on, probably since 2009.

Look, there is absolutely no way we come to a consensus on what NUMERICAL weightage to assign each of the events leading up to the sacking of the coaches. Case in point, I brought up Hazard's goal return of 1 in 13 games and you summarily dismissed it. Similarly, I could summarily dismiss what you provided above in support for your argument.

Hence, my assertion that it is a matter of plausibility. Given the nature of Barca - RM rivalry, it's hard to believe repeated and often lopsided Clasico losses weren't key to the departure of an RM manager in one instance immediately afterwards and in another two a handful of weeks later. You're trying to convince me otherwise.

P.S. There's a RM game going on right now.

serghei

Look, there is absolutely no way we come to a consensus on what NUMERICAL weightage to assign each of the events leading up to the sacking of the coaches. Case in point, I brought up Hazard's goal return of 1 in 13 games and you summarily dismissed it. Similarly, I could summarily dismiss what you provided above in support for your argument.

Hence, my assertion that it is a matter of plausibility. Given the nature of Barca - RM rivalry, it's hard to believe repeated and often lopsided Clasico losses weren't key to the departure of an RM manager in one instance immediately afterwards and in another two a handful of weeks later. You're trying to convince me otherwise.

I'm watching that and can't blame the man for commenting here instead. :lol: Terrible game.

George_Costanza

80c8e50daa494fb8bf49a4ec255b13c6500x500@2x.jpg

or

MAIN-Tottenham-Hotspur-v-KAA-Gent-UEFA-Europa-League-Round-of-32-Second-Leg.jpg

El Gato

Villarato!

I don't understand how you don't get why I don't except your assessment of Hazard being a 'bum' when it's somewhat stupid to think of it in terms of pure stat return after a) the guy was injured after b) he was fat and c) he got better and then d) got a worse injury again while playing a great game. It's just and dumb counterpoint man. Hence why I attribute it to trolling, because I don't believe you want to have a serious conversation and just didn't like the original post I made about the Supercopa. Which is sad, because it feels like there's no room for conversation if you do this every time on football topics - just look for a fight.

And yes, I am trying to convince you otherwise. But you're dismissing it on the basis of what exactly? Not liking how I dismissed something else despite it being rather clear why it was dismissed?

#ad PS - I know. It's boring AF, zero pace to it. Atleti shithousing the entire first half. Just now Jović with two incredibly well worked chances. Still very unlucky. (bet you'd call him a bum too given he cost 60M, even if he only started 3 games eh?)

Home of Barca Fans