Ernesto Valverde

George_Costanza

I don’t think he’s the right person for the job. Would love him as someone’s number 2 though.

Still, I’ll take anything to get rid of Valverde.

Not entirely sure I buy the rumours though. Sure Valverde is shit, but he’s always been shit. So why the sudden change in heart from the board?

Xavi will have Messi so I think even if he is inexperienced, he will do much better than EV. Shit, I still can't believe we won 2 La ligas under a shit coach like Valverde and all it's due to the fact that he has Messi saving his ass.

Sorin

A little too late. Last summer was the right time to sack Valverde and give the whole off season to Xavi or some other manager.

Not sure what anyone expects of him at this point when the team is physically destroyed by almost 3 years of Valverde ball. He could get the midfield more organized I guess but everything else will be the same shit because it's hard to change the team mentality and intensity overnight. IMO, we shouldn't have great expectations for this season, both in terms of silverware and teamplay. He needs an off season or two of training, to clear out the dross, bring in player suited to what he wants to do and only after that we should expect results. This half a year should be used to lay the foundations of our usual style, to asses the players and together with the board(lol), conjure up a strategy for the next season. If we win La Liga/CdR/CL(lmao on the last one) good, if not it shouldn't be a problem as long as progress is made on other fronts.

Of course, all this is assuming Xavi accepts.

Barcilliant

A little too late. Last summer was the right time to sack Valverde and give the whole off season to Xavi or some other manager.

Not sure what anyone expects of him at this point when the team is physically destroyed by almost 3 years of Valverde ball. He could get the midfield more organized I guess but everything else will be the same shit because it's hard to change the team mentality and intensity overnight. IMO, we shouldn't have great expectations for this season, both in terms of silverware and teamplay. He needs an off season or two of training, to clear out the dross, bring in player suited to what he wants to do and only after that we should expect results. This half a year should be used to lay the foundations of our usual style, to asses the players and together with the board(lol), conjure up a strategy for the next season. If we win La Liga/CdR/CL(lmao on the last one) good, if not it shouldn't be a problem as long as progress is made on other fronts.

Of course, all this is assuming Xavi accepts.

Exactly.

What happens if we're real shit and don't even make top four? Do we give Xavi the boot? Not only is it a steep learning curve for Xavi but there will be players who will not fit into his plans?

I think a Xavi appointment would raise more questions than answers but at this point in time I just want to see the back of Shitverde.

Barcilliant

Another thing about Xavi is tactical flexibility. Yeah 433 is our basic template but doesn't men we shouldn't try 532 or, 4231.

At this point in time the defense is so weak it needs some extra protection.

Sorin

Exactly.

What happens if we're real shit and don't even make top four? Do we give Xavi the boot? Not only is it a steep learning curve for Xavi but there will be players who will not fit into his plans?

I think a Xavi appointment would raise more questions than answers but at this point in time I just want to see the back of Shitverde.

Well, I don't think we will fail to make top four. Messi and Ter Stegen, with no suitable tactics, can drag us to top 3.

But yeah, the good thing from all of this is that we already knew that Valverde won't win shit this year so there's no risk in getting rid of him.

Messigician

Bartomeu has already made the decision to sack Valverde when the substitute is tied [sport]

Confidential SPORT: The heavyweights of the Blaugrana dressing room are calling him to come now [sport]

The former Barça player meets with Abidal and Òscar Grau today to let them know if he accepts the offer [sport]

The Al-Sadd coach speaks clearly: "I won't hide that my dream is to coach Barça" [sport]

Barcilliant

I will only believe it when it's official. If for some reason Xavi doesn't accept surely Shitverde will show some self respect and resign. The board went behind his back looking for another manager. Surely he has milked this cow dry and will leave now?

FinBarcelonafan

We fire Valverde after a loss in meaningless trophy tournament??? Facepalm. He should have been fired 100% after the Copa final loss Vs Valencia..

I couldn't be happier though. It's been boring to watch Barca play the last two years. Bring back entertainment!

Rory

He was a necessary appointment for 1 year, apart from the Roma loss and the style of play he could have left on a high. We should have been looking at replacing him during that year and lining up a quality replacement for the end of that season. Instead we took his mediocrity as stability and a way to maintain the status quo (la liga victories + copa del rey + quarter/semi final of ucl). It's been a problem in the player department too, Raktiic, Busquets and Suarez have been allowed to play extremely average and maintain their high status positions here. You've got to wonder what the board members are actually paid to do if they couldn't see the rot in the club until a bullshit Saudi tournament.

We were ending the season trophyless unless Messi pulled it out the bag which I don't think even he could have done this season.

clemente

Lmao Xavi will destroy this club like he destroyed Al Saad, but fuck it at least I won't have to look at this squatting puss

Total-Football

It's not about Xavi anymore.. This is a bigger cause.. This is about getting rid of terror more than anything else at this point.. The subsequent events are just banalities

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
He really doesn't have to be next Pep, what I expect him to do is drop these slow players like Rakitic, Roberto, Busi and play faster football. I remember he said that if he was Barca manger, Puig would be a starter or in the first team, so there is a hope that we'll see some positive changes.

serghei

He really doesn't have to be next Pep, what I expect him to do is drop these slow players like Rakitic, Roberto, Busi and play faster football. I remember he said that if he was Barca manger, Puig would be a starter or in the first team, so there is a hope that we'll see some positive changes.

Drop Busi? Not until we sign a top midfielder. Midfield will be Busi - Arthur - De Jong imo. There's a great midfield here under someone who knows how to set up.

Rakitic is as good as gone if Xavi comes though, that's for sure.

Home of Barca Fans