Lionel Messi - v7

raskolnikov

Messi also suffers due to lack of quality teammates. He shines when he is able to pass to a runner or play the 1/2's to get into position to shoot.

Likes of Griezmann, Braithwaite, Pjanic, Dembele, Trincao... they are not on the level of Neymar, Suarez, Iniesta, Pedro, Xavi in this regard.

Overal lower level of teammates makes Messi look worse. Its like an Argentina match nowadays.

serghei

Messi also suffers due to lack of quality teammates. He shines when he is able to pass to a runner or play the 1/2's to get into position to shoot.

Likes of Griezmann, Braithwaite, Pjanic, Dembele, Trincao... they are not on the level of Neymar, Suarez, Iniesta, Pedro, Xavi in this regard.

Overal lower level of teammates makes Messi look worse. Its like an Argentina match nowadays.

Yea, the issue is he has quality teammates compared with most teams not named Bayern, Liverpool, PSG or City. Just not quality like the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Alves etc.

This only proves how the other star players we had besides Messi were very important for all those titles.

So, not sure it's a good thing for Messi that he requires many other elite players for him to be effective. If you have many elite players on key positions you can win everything without needing Messi in the first place. Just check Bayern and Liverpool recently.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Yea, the issue is he has quality teammates compared with most teams not named Bayern, Liverpool, PSG or City. Just not quality like the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Alves etc.

This only proves how the other star players we had besides Messi were very important for all those titles.

So, not sure it's a good thing for Messi that he requires many other elite players for him to be effective. If you have many elite players on key positions you can win everything without needing Messi in the first place. Just check Bayern and Liverpool recently.

This is true but the caliber of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta bring a certain inevitability/domination/memorability to the spectacle of a CL final...that I didn't get with Pool or Bayern. That is their value. Like, I had little doubts in 09, 11, or 15 we'd win and win in style. In 11, I was actually 100% certain.

Horatio

You're welcome
Messi was wearing a Barca jersey underneath the newells old boys one. Meaning he had three jerseys on prior to his celebration!!!

goat layering

Porque

Right so, how much of a fine will we & Messi get for that Adidas/Yamaha mileage? Sport are suggesting it will be 3,000EUR. Extremely cheap for that adspot.

BusiTheKing

I've seen it all today! From 'It's more important what you do without the ball than what you do with it' to 'putting yourself in positions where you're more likely to fail'. He's has one of the most intelligent footballing minds that's likely ever played the game, and he's almost 34! Nope, must run into blind alleys where Barca's super creative players will find him with precise passes, and Barca will prevail. :lol: This place is totally mental at times. :lol:

I don't know what reality you're in but I'm arguing from the one where he found himself in pretty much zero dangerous positions for 90 minutes against Atletico. How's that for intelligent movement?

Rory

He seemed more vocal yesterday too. Probably a lot to do with wanting to give a tribute to Maradona. A couple of times when the camera did a close up of him he was giving out instructions another time he had his arm around Pedri giving him advice. He actually looked like a captain. If he can channel this same energy in more games we have a shot at the league.

JohnN

So, I heard La Liga fines the club 3000$ for the Messi tribute, due to a regulation about not wearing other players' shirts or something like that.
Nice gesture LL. Bureaucracy never fails to fail.

Home of Barca Fans