Lionel Messi - v7

Ripsta

Reading some of the moronic replies here you'd think he needs to be rested for 75% of the season. If he's fit, he plays. He doesn't work his arse off every match, it helps him sustain his fitness over a 50-60 game season.

Seriously, you're in all for a nasty shock when he's still plodding around the attack in the knockouts despite all this 'well needed' rest, then it'll be the same plebbs calling him lazy. 20 years at the club and fans still don't get it.

JamDav1982

Reading some of the moronic replies here you'd think he needs to be rested for 75% of the season. If he's fit, he plays. He doesn't work his arse off every match, it helps him sustain his fitness over a 50-60 game season.

Seriously, you're in all for a nasty shock when he's still plodding around the attack in the knockouts despite all this 'well needed' rest, then it'll be the same plebbs calling him lazy. 20 years at the club and fans still don't get it.

That doesnt quite add up though.

Claiming he is not working his arse off as he wants to play 50-60 games implies he could work harder if played in less games.

What matches is he working his arse off in?

Some irony in not spelling 'plebs' correctly as well.

Last edited:

Rory

Was Koeman saying Messi will literally not rest from now on? If not then what he says kind of makes sense. We're far behind in the league so why would a manager rest what he believes and what is probably our best player for a league game when we're chasing a 9 point deficit? Then the champions league is the last group match vs Juventus which we want to test our strongest side against surely? And then to the knockouts where he wouldn't be rested. He should rest in copa games though and if he doesn't then I'll begin to maybe think there's something to all this.

serghei

Was Koeman saying Messi will literally not rest from now on? If not then what he says kind of makes sense. We're far behind in the league so why would a manager rest what he believes and what is probably our best player for a league game when we're chasing a 9 point deficit? Then the champions league is the last group match vs Juventus which we want to test our strongest side against surely? And then to the knockouts where he wouldn't be rested. He should rest in copa games though and if he doesn't then I'll begin to maybe think there's something to all this.

It's simple. Messi can't play 2 games in 3 days. He can play 1 game per week. Not 2 without him looking like a finished player.

Zidane was resting Ronaldo in La Liga prior to big matches in Europe, to get his best version in CL. And Ronaldo is two times more fit than Messi.

Koeman literally said Messi will not be resting anymore in the future, to look in charge because he's afraid Messi will want to play and he'll not be able to convince him otherwise.

Just another episode of Messi being impossible to manage because he'll have final word on everything team-related. Like in the past.

Hell, I don't know why Messi fans actually want him to be overplayed and look like a 40 year old player out there when it matters most. Don't you guys want him to be sharp and make the difference in the biggest games? You'd rather want him playing all the time vs some crap teams we can beat 4-0 with the reserves (like Kiev), just so he can stat pad and inflate his numbers?

Last edited:

Rory

seghei you need to chill every now and then and not project what you think my thoughts or wants are for players / the club.

fergus90

I'd be surprised if he didn't rest him for the early stages of the Copa. I think it's gonna take a few flat uninspiring performances once the schedule hots up for Koeman to realise Busquets and Messi can't be playing 90 minutes twice a week at this stage.

sikkboy

I'd be surprised if he didn't rest him for the early stages of the Copa. I think it's gonna take a few flat uninspiring performances once the schedule hots up for Koeman to realise Busquets and Messi can't be playing 90 minutes twice a week at this stage.

He hardly ever plays in the early stages unless the reserves haven't already tied the round up, then he might come in for 30 mins and turn the game.

serghei

We'll beat them at the Camp Nou.

I'd go with the best team in that match. I'd like us to keep our undefeated in Europe status at home. It's the last great thing about us in CL. Not losing on Camp Nou in 7 years and running.

Plus, it's a good test against a top team, to see where we're at.

KingLeo10

I'd go with the best team in that match. I'd like us to keep our undefeated in Europe status at home. It's the last great thing about us in CL. Not losing on Camp Nou in 7 years and running.

Plus, it's a good test against a top team, to see where we're at.

Yeah, I'm interested to see how we fare v Juve with CR7.

If we get dunked on, it's time to call it quits in Europe until a completely new generation of players.

serghei

Yeah, I'm interested to see how we fare v Juve with CR7.

If we get dunked on, it's time to call it quits in Europe until a completely new generation of players.

Valuable game for the likes of Mingueza too. To deal with a top 3 forward. Zero chances we get dunked imo. Only teams being able to stuff us on Camp Nou are Bayern and possibly Liverpool.

Home of Barca Fans