Page 1327 of 1457 FirstFirst ... 32782712271277131713251326132713281329133713771427 ... LastLast
Results 19,891 to 19,905 of 21853

Thread: 10 - Lionel Messi

  1. #19891
    Senior Member
    Andresito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,143
    Koeman: "The rest of the season, he cannot rest."

  2. #19892
    Senior Member
    oggmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    Great decisions lately from Koeman regarding Messi. Hope it continues. Don't wanna see him in any Copa game except the last 2-3 if we make it to semis and final.

    Also don't want to see him playing any La Liga game before a knockout CL game, considering it's usually 2-3 days between these games. Unless somehow we are in a leading position in the league and somehow the game before the CL knockout tie is difficult, like some away game to Bilbao or Valencia and such.
    What do you mean great decisions by Koeman? Isn't it Messi that decides if he rests or not? I think you should've said great decision by Messi, no?

  3. #19893
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by oggmar View Post
    What do you mean great decisions by Koeman? Isn't it Messi that decides if he rests or not? I think you should've said great decision by Messi, no?
    you've played a blinder there.

  4. #19894
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by oggmar View Post
    What do you mean great decisions by Koeman? Isn't it Messi that decides if he rests or not? I think you should've said great decision by Messi, no?
    https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/stat...49059438452738

  5. #19895
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    26,787
    Quote Originally Posted by oggmar View Post
    What do you mean great decisions by Koeman? Isn't it Messi that decides if he rests or not? I think you should've said great decision by Messi, no?
    He has to ask Messi when he wants to rest him and try to convince him it's better he doesn't play 2 games in 3 days at his age. Especially easier games. Evidently, he did convince him.

  6. #19896
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    26,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Andresito View Post
    Koeman: "The rest of the season, he cannot rest."
    He, he had to say that After all, when old players like Messi rest, they became more tired.

    And I thought the guy had an epiphany.

  7. #19897
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Posts
    6,797
    We can blame Messi on some things but these managers need to learn how to address basic questions...what a colossally terrible answer that was.


  8. #19898
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    26,787
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    We can blame Messi on some things but these managers need to learn how to address basic questions...what a colossally terrible answer that was.

    He probably knows Messi won't accept being rested too often, and again, he says it first out loud publicly. To make it sound as if he is making all the shots in the team.

    A lot of what he says is to maintain the illusion that he actually manages Messi. That's why he ends up saying dumb things.

    No way is a manager dumb enough to believe a near 34 year old player doesn't benefit from not playing 3 games in a week (that's what long-term planning and prioritization are about, to have fresh players in the last months of the season). Or that old players get more tired when they rest - still can't shake off the pure dumbness of that comment .
    Last edited by serghei; 1st December 2020 at 04:36 PM.

  9. #19899
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,135
    Aww man it was going so well in here, serghei why'd you have to ruin things by making out you know the inner workings of Messi and Koeman again ffs

  10. #19900
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    26,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Aww man it was going so well in here, serghei why'd you have to ruin things by making out you know the inner workings of Messi and Koeman again ffs
    Can't be worse than Messi threatening Koeman with the sack if he misbehaves as he did with previous managers.

  11. #19901
    Senior Member
    Birdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,264
    Quote Originally Posted by behindbrowneyes View Post
    Perfect answer!
    Indicating at the beginning what really happens (him talking Messi into resting and convincing him) and at the end saying what should be said - ('decision always taken by the coach') even though untrue in regards to Messi - just to protect the authority of the position of the coach.
    Xavi's Cups

  12. #19902
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    779
    Reading some of the moronic replies here you'd think he needs to be rested for 75% of the season. If he's fit, he plays. He doesn't work his arse off every match, it helps him sustain his fitness over a 50-60 game season.

    Seriously, you're in all for a nasty shock when he's still plodding around the attack in the knockouts despite all this 'well needed' rest, then it'll be the same plebbs calling him lazy. 20 years at the club and fans still don't get it.

  13. #19903
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    24,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripsta View Post
    Reading some of the moronic replies here you'd think he needs to be rested for 75% of the season. If he's fit, he plays. He doesn't work his arse off every match, it helps him sustain his fitness over a 50-60 game season.

    Seriously, you're in all for a nasty shock when he's still plodding around the attack in the knockouts despite all this 'well needed' rest, then it'll be the same plebbs calling him lazy. 20 years at the club and fans still don't get it.
    That doesnt quite add up though.

    Claiming he is not working his arse off as he wants to play 50-60 games implies he could work harder if played in less games.

    What matches is he working his arse off in?

    Some irony in not spelling 'plebs' correctly as well.
    Last edited by JamDav1982; 1st December 2020 at 06:02 PM.

  14. #19904
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,135
    Was Koeman saying Messi will literally not rest from now on? If not then what he says kind of makes sense. We're far behind in the league so why would a manager rest what he believes and what is probably our best player for a league game when we're chasing a 9 point deficit? Then the champions league is the last group match vs Juventus which we want to test our strongest side against surely? And then to the knockouts where he wouldn't be rested. He should rest in copa games though and if he doesn't then I'll begin to maybe think there's something to all this.

  15. #19905
    Senior Member
    serghei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Forum de Amigos - Tactical Ops. Office
    Posts
    26,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Was Koeman saying Messi will literally not rest from now on? If not then what he says kind of makes sense. We're far behind in the league so why would a manager rest what he believes and what is probably our best player for a league game when we're chasing a 9 point deficit? Then the champions league is the last group match vs Juventus which we want to test our strongest side against surely? And then to the knockouts where he wouldn't be rested. He should rest in copa games though and if he doesn't then I'll begin to maybe think there's something to all this.
    It's simple. Messi can't play 2 games in 3 days. He can play 1 game per week. Not 2 without him looking like a finished player.

    Zidane was resting Ronaldo in La Liga prior to big matches in Europe, to get his best version in CL. And Ronaldo is two times more fit than Messi.

    Koeman literally said Messi will not be resting anymore in the future, to look in charge because he's afraid Messi will want to play and he'll not be able to convince him otherwise.

    Just another episode of Messi being impossible to manage because he'll have final word on everything team-related. Like in the past.

    Hell, I don't know why Messi fans actually want him to be overplayed and look like a 40 year old player out there when it matters most. Don't you guys want him to be sharp and make the difference in the biggest games? You'd rather want him playing all the time vs some crap teams we can beat 4-0 with the reserves (like Kiev), just so he can stat pad and inflate his numbers?
    Last edited by serghei; 1st December 2020 at 06:42 PM.