Lionel Messi - v7

eaman

What's the point of scoring a brace against Elche if Messi is going to walk around like he can't wait to go home when we play PSG at home in the Camp Nou and are effectively eliminated from the CL? Fuck that.

I'm fairly sure messi walked as much against elche as he did against psg. Difference in the elche game is other players are actually able to play elaborate backheel one twos with him whereas against psg they can't even play basic ones

BarcaOG

Banned
We must have watched two different games then because other than the penalty (against PSG) I don't recall Messi doing anything other than walk about.

Vilarrubi

Team was obviously instructed not to press against PSG. Messi was alone up top a lot of time and him pressing would have made little difference. He’s definitely been at fault in other games for not pressing but in terms of contributing to the PSG loss that’s way down the list of reasons why.

eaman

We must have watched two different games then because other than the penalty (against PSG) I don't recall Messi doing anything other than walk about.

Do you not remember him actually running from his central position to tackle parades i think and he did the same on the other side. Probably frustrated at not getting the ball because pwg dominated the midfield. Saw more of the ball against elche because barca obviously dominated the midfield then

Vilarrubi

He set up chance for Dumbele to make it 2-0 which of course he missed. Then the clowns at the back came out to play.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Messi began well but since then he became invisible. In second half he was walking on the pitch. Imo he should not have played the alaves match or atleast only 30min, a fresh messi would have been much more dangerous - Koeman's fault.

BarcaOG

Banned
Yes--thanks for refreshing my memory. You guys are correct to point that out, especially the chance he created for Dembele which the Frenchie frankly should have scored.

My broader point is about Messi's pattern in recent years to be less-than-spectacular, that is, less than GOAT-level, in decisive matches against strong opponents. Now before you scream DOUBLE AGAINST LIVERPOOL you must acknowledge that CL knock-outs are played over two legs for a reason, and should be judged accordingly.

Edit: this pattern is especially noticeable in high-profile CL matches and Clasicos in recent years.

Last edited:

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
we are just speculating here and it's very likely we won't find the truth anyway.

but i believe the guys running the club have done the math beforehand giving messi that huge contract. in fact, i believe they have calculated correctly and worked within the budget when they gave big contracts to the likes of griezmann or FDJ also.

the only thing that they got wrong and might have negatively affected us, were the transfer fees for certain players over the last years. those should have been signings that would have kept the club competitive these days. instead we are relying on messi for both creativity(playmaking) and attack(finishing).

you believe the guys that tried to hide our debt issues and went about negatively affecting the club via "creative accounting" did the maths and knew what they were doing? sorry i dont accept that our board was totally incompetent and cared little for the long term welfare of the club.

malvolio

you believe the guys that tried to hide our debt issues and went about negatively affecting the club via "creative accounting" did the maths and knew what they were doing? sorry i dont accept that our board was totally incompetent and cared little for the long term welfare of the club.

why not? they have increased revenue to the point we are no 1 in that department.

messi was free basically and he is the icon of this club, but i don't think they just came up with a number and threw the money at him.

Last edited:

xxxxxx

Will he stay or go at the end of season?

That's the big question.

Wouldn't surprise me if he stays or goes. If he stays, it'll be that he can't be bothered to move and that he's very settled here. It won't be because we're a class team who will be competitive next season. He'll no doubt have a much better offer from Man City. They have a better team overall, more money, a better manager (a manager he already knows and likes), a brighter future, he'll win many trophies, and they have an owner that backs the manager with funds to compete at the highest level.

He has to make the right decision because we've seen what Messi is like when we're playing shit and when things are not going his way. He tends to give up. We need a committed Messi next season if he decides to stay. If he doesn't have the right support around him, we could struggle and be worse next season.

If Messi still has the hunger and still wants to win trophies on a consistent basis, he should choose City. If he stays with us, he's pretty much retiring here and accepting that he won't win any more Champions League trophies.

What I do know is.... he won't get anywhere the amount of money he got last season. We still owe him a 33m loyalty bonus in the summer. He'll also get a big signing-on fee resigning with the club. He's still going to be the highest-paid player at the club if he stays, which is stupid because Grizemann is on 500k a week. I'm curious how Laporta or Font will justify paying him that type of money when he's 34 and when the club is in terrible debt. We also have to pay the banks 266m euros by the 30th of June. We then have to pay another 160m euros after that by the end of the year.

I think Messi will announce something in the middle of April. If he's leaving, he'll have to let the fans know so he can get a proper sendoff.

Home of Barca Fans