Lionel Messi - v7

Hardy

I don't remember teams winning CL with atrocious defence, Real won a couple of CL with not exactly great defence but they were able to peak in the right matches with Ramos Varane performance that our pathetic backline can only dream.

FCBfan22

He found his scoring boots again. Just before CL. Thank fuck for that.

The first goal was probably his best this season.

Last edited:

Mrgandalf

Curious member
He could play like a God. Griezmann could play like a Prince. Ansu could play like he's *it*, but that defence of ours will probably let them down. Just not good enough unless we're lucky.

luck was all Di Matteo had...or even Zidane.

Ritchie

I don't remember teams winning CL with atrocious defence, Real won a couple of CL with not exactly great defence but they were able to peak in the right matches with Ramos Varane performance that our pathetic backline can only dream.

Real still had Ramos and Pepe who were big game players and Marcelo who would get them on the front foot and Casemiro to cover. Modric and Kroos would dominate the midfield and Ronaldo/Benzema/Bale would get the goals.

With this Barca it's all Messi. The last CL winning team had Neymar and Suarez at a very high level, Busquets was still a leading DM, Iniesta was still in the team and Rakitic was a lot better. Added to that Pique and Alba at their peak.

Ritchie

luck was all Di Matteo had...or even Zidane.

Luck but Real always had loads of quality all over the pitch which this Barca don't.

Chelsea did just defend really well (the Barca tie and the final) as well as getting crazy luck. Barca are just dependent on Messi and if he doesn't show up as GOAT away from home in CL then Barca get thrashed (PSG/Juve/Roma/Liverpool). Valverde wanted to just keep things tight and let Messi decide the game which worked domestically but the two disasters in CL killed him.

Nazario1985

Just remember that We never had a huge defense in any way we just were monster in controlling the game, and not stupid when loosing the ball.

Our current backline is .... too much garbage.

snowy

[tw]1230074245067280384[/tw]

1st playa to reach the 1k contribution :king:

1st sportsperson coming from a team sport to ever win the elusive Laureus

in b4, primo giocatore nella storia a segnare otto colpi di testa contro il Napoli in una sola partita :p mamma mia!!!

Vilarrubi

[tw]1230074245067280384[/tw]

1st playa to reach the 1k contribution :king:

1st sportsperson coming from a team sport to ever win the elusive Laureus

in b4, primo giocatore nella storia a segnare otto colpi di testa contro il Napoli in una sola partita :p mamma mia!!!

Siiiiiiuuuuuuu

serghei

not agree with this part. As far as i can remember we actually killed them. They was all about luck. 23 shots and 2 goals.

Yea, can't believe how many chances we've missed both home and away. With even decent finishing we should've won that tie by a good 2-3 goals margin.

KingLeo10

Yea, can't believe how many chances we've missed both home and away. With even decent finishing we should've won that tie by a good 2-3 goals margin.

That Camp Nou game v Chelsea in 2012 and the 2016 2-1 W over AM were the 2 biggest sieges I've ever seen in a football game. We battered them thoroughly and I don't know how we only managed 2 goals in each game.

Bayern v AM at Allianz in 2016 is another great siege. Bayern also only managed 2 goals.

henias

Football doesnt work that way, if you are not winning, then either the forwards are not dangerous or clinical enough to break the defence or too little quality big chances created, usually just desperate attempts shooting at goal. It's always a battle between defence and attack, if you fail then you've failed. There's no what if, could have, would have, or should have. There are already 2 legs to ensure a fairer tie rather than just one game. Unless there's a major refereeing error, than otherwise we should just accept the result and try again.

bismp

Even if we would have went through,I doubt that we would have beaten Bayern in 2012.That team was considerably worse than 09-11.

But yeah,that shit was depressing.In fact,that week(losing at the Stamford Bridge,losing vs Real at the Camp Nou and effectively losing the league and finally getting eliminated vs Chelsea at the Camp Nou) is one of my most vivid memories as a Barca fan.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans