Lionel Messi - v7

Respekt_III

CyaWouldntWannaBeYa
A lot of the issues/criticisms of Messi stem from a lack of an actual tactical system. The squad selection and tactical set up is currently not able to cover for his weaknesses defensively. On the attacking front he creates some issues with balance and structured plays however we/he is able to get away with it because of his sheer ability.
In short he could be even more effective with the right players and tactical system and I guess that what poster have an issue with.

FinBarcelonafan

A lot of the issues/criticisms of Messi stem from a lack of an actual tactical system. The squad selection and tactical set up is currently not able to cover for his weaknesses defensively. On the attacking front he creates some issues with balance and structured plays however we/he is able to get away with it because of his sheer ability.
In short he could be even more effective with the right players and tactical system and I guess that what poster have an issue with.

Messi with City would be interesting. They still have enough legs to cover for Messi.

serghei

Neutral here looking , reading this thread amazed how spoilt, pampered and quite frankly daft some Barcelona fans are. You've had the privilege of watching the best player ever performing super human acts for a decade is a privilege not a luxury. You don't know how good you've had it with this guy.

No player is above criticism but some posters are going way overboard calling out "Messi fanboys" (Nevermind the fact that most if not all Messi fans here are Barca fans too) . Constructive criticism out of the window replaced by arguing for the sake of being contrarian and for attention.

Messi was by far the best Barca player against Liverpool in both legs, scoring twice in the 1st leg and producing Gilt edged chances for Dembele (in Camp Nou) and Suarez at Anfield amongst numerous other chances squandered. And this was in a tie Liverpool dominated from start to finish because your shitheaded coach is a mediocre tactician at best and made you defend deep knowing fully well you don't have the personnel to pull of such a tactic (especially against Liverpool of all fucking teams) and that neither one of your 30+ forwards have the legs anymore to press the opposition defence and midfield. Also, Messi is not 6ft tall to dominate aerially like Ronaldo. In these big Champions league games he needs the ball to feet all the time and thus Barcelona having a certain control of possession.

Barcelona is failing Messi not the other way around. You have comfortably the best player the world has ever seen doing things never before seen on a football pitch for a decade and Some of you have the nerve to rip through him like it's nothing Just need to the shut the fuck up and enjoy the show seriously. Even if he never wins another trophy for Barca You should be building a statue for him outside Camp Nou as we speak. Seriously some of these posters need to stop embarrassing themselves and your club.

Messi supports the manager and thinks he has no blame. You say the manager is 'shitheaded'. I didn't even try hard and already found an instance where Messi has failed this team. There are several areas where Messi could do more. That's the fucking point. Just because he can do some things better, doesn't mean that he doesn't do other things brilliantly.

My main gripe with die hard Messi fans is that they treat him as an infallible god perfect in every way.

They just can't comprehend that he can be a genius player on the ball, score crazy goals, do crazy dribbles and make crazy assists, but he can also be an average leader, have a bad positional game and be a little lazy as well.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
They just can't comprehend that he can be a genius player on the ball, score crazy goals, do crazy dribbles and make crazy assists, but he can also be an average leader, have a bad positional game and be a little lazy as well.

I will never hold it against Messi though. Because if I do it basically means I except him to have a great game day in day out. As long as Messi is still biologically human I will never do that. Team members should learn to step up and carry Messi once in a while.

Arizona Scott

I will never hold it against Messi though. Because if I do it basically means I except him to have a great game day in day out. As long as Messi is still biologically human I will never do that. Team members should learn to step up and carry Messi once in a while.

Seconded. He is a human and has limits. I trust HIM to use his field energy to the best that he has in him for the teams sake. Now maybe Klopp or Pep could tweak his effort a tiny bit--but more likely their efforts would be on others and just say Messi do your thing and I'll get the other players to play harder and smarter around you. Messi takes enough crap already in public and blame (e.g., he clearly was the best player int he Liverpool tie and even Klopp admits that), a manager should tread very carefully.

In terms of Valverde and other players support--in 99% cases if a player goes publicly negative on managers/other players that plays out very poorly for the club whatever the outcome. We don't know what Messi truly thinks, nor what he may have more privately communicated--and a good run organization would never leak this to media/fans.

serghei

Of course not. It is just criticism. Like you'll do with all players. But for some, criticizing Messi is sacrilegious.

At the end of the day, despite some flaws which are more apparent in the CL, he is still the best player in Barca's history and one of the all time greats.

Last edited:

Judoman

First of all, Messi s positional game is awesome, The way he can split defenses with one pass is WC. He does lack movement, but this was always the case.

He is not a leader at all. We we been over this many times, being a leader is something you are born with. Either you have or you don t.
Some of the best players in history weren t leaders so whats the point of repeating this over and over again? And why is it a problem if the guy backs up his team mates and coach? Is being a dick a good thing for you people?

It s not his job to evaluate coach and individual players, but somehow he receives the blame for Board s bad decisions. Criticism should be pointed at (the causes of) the problems. Messi was not and is not a problem.

michelco

First of all, Messi s positional game is awesome, The way he can split defenses with one pass is WC. He does lack movement, but this was always the case.

????

anyway I think Messi not being a leader is brought up over and over in this forum is because of the inevitable and never ending comparisons with CR, where most would agree CR is a better leader but Messi aces him in everything else. However, this is a discussion forum so let the people discuss instead of trying to stop discussion by saying "why bring this up over and over" etc etc

oh, did I add the CR vs Messi into this debate deliberately? will people quote me on how wrong and/or right I am? probably, i've been here long enough to see people argue about if the color blue is actually blue :D

clemente

Of course not. It is just criticism. Like you'll do with all players. But for some, criticizing Messi is sacrilegious.

At the end of the day, despite some flaws which are more apparent in the CL, he is still the best player in Barca's history and one of the all time greats.

So why criticize him? That doesn't make any sense, he did 10 things perfectly and messed up 1, so he will be criticized for that 1? How does that make sense to you?

So why criticize him? That doesn't make any sense, he did 10 things perfectly and messed up 1, so he will be criticized for that 1? How does that make sense to you?

That's what people with agendas do. They nit pick and try to find the small weaknesses. Then they go on about those weaknesses again and again and again, until those small weaknesses seem as if they are big weaknesses and a main reason why the team is failing. When this happens the sheep jump on board and criticism rains down aplenty. At this point, the agenda is a success and complete.

Respekt_III

CyaWouldntWannaBeYa
That's what people with agendas do. They nit pick and try to find the small weaknesses. Then they go on about those weaknesses again and again and again, until those small weaknesses seem as if they are big weaknesses and a main reason why the team is failing. When this happens the sheep jump on board and criticism rains down aplenty. At this point, the agenda is a success and complete.

lol

lol

lol

Home of Barca Fans