Lionel Messi - v7

JohnN

I dont think u can blame Messi for the way we got slapped around against Liverpool he was shit but so was everyone else..and ifnit wasn't for Messi we would've lost that first leg aswell cause we were terrible.

No, we can't blame him for this one.
And he wasn't even shit.
He wasn't godmode messi of course.
The only way some people would consider his performance good, would be for messi to run like Vidal in defence and then do a "getafe goal of the century run" because our team literally couldn't pass the midfield so he should do it by himself.. that would be enough I think.. maybe.

FCB1987

Banned
I explained clearly my criterion on what constitutes a player comparative to Messi, someone who the whole team goes through.

Let's do a deal - I will give you examples of players comparable in style to Messi and you will give me players in their 30s who ran significantly more than him.

Maradona, R9, Pele the 3 other GOAT players imho are all players comparable. Since we are on a Barca forum let's add in Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. There are numerous others. Now,your going to show me the mythical ones that ran way more than Messi, right?

R9, Maradona, Rivaldo, and Ronaldinho weren't even playing at a top level in their 30s due to injuries and lifestyle issues, and I wasn't around to follow Pele in his 30s either.

Messi has also been doing this since he was in his 20s.

Last edited:
R9, Maradona, Rivaldo, and Ronaldinho weren't even playing at a top level in their 30s due to injuries and lifestyle issues, and I wasn't around to follow Pele in his 30s either.

Messi has also been doing this since he was in his 20s.

Had Messi had lifestyle issues which affected his football you would have ripped him to shreds, but everyone else gets a free pass? I mean the original point was made by someone who has a photo of Ronaldinho in his profile :lol:. Honestly, I can't even anymore, the hypocrisy is too much, it's clear you can't name a comparative player in his 30s that runs significantly more than messi. Goodnight.

FCB1987

Banned
And he wasn't even shit.
The only way some people would consider his performance good, would be for messi to run like Vidal in defence and then do a "getafe goal of the century run" because our team literally couldn't pass the midfield so he should do it by himself.. that would be enough I think.. maybe.

Pep Guardiola: "In Europe, the winger has to be heavily involved in defense."

Barcaforum gurus and fanboys: Messi playing right wing without defending or running at all has nothing to do with us being overrun every time away from home in Europe.

FCB1987

Banned
Had Messi had lifestyle issues which affected his football you would have ripped him to shreds, but everyone else gets a free pass? I mean the original point was made by someone who has a photo of Ronaldinho in his profile :lol:. Honestly, I can't even anymore, the hypocrisy is too much, it's clear you can't name a comparative player in his 30s that runs significantly more than messi. Goodnight.

You also can't name a comparative player who runs less. Goodnight

serghei

A game lasts for 90 minutes, not just when Messi has the ball

Many people don't get this. You can't run and be active when only you have the ball because that is virtually 2% or less of the total time of the game. In CL you pay when you don't defend as a unit, and have 2 attackers who don't try their best to press the opponent or block passes.

Just because Messi is brilliant on the ball doesn't mean he should be mostly out of the game when he doesn't have it. It is too costly in CL against strong teams.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Barcaforum gurus and fanboys: Messi playing right wing without defending or running at all has nothing to do with us being overrun every time away from home in Europe.

I think everyone is aware that having Messi on the team brings some downsides as well. He won't run and fight for 90 min, that simply won't happen. And i think it's because he just can't do it physically.

So it would be important to have a competent coach and squad geared towards fixing that. But instead we get Valverde who runs the starters into the ground, let's Messi play wherever and however he wants hoping he saves his ass time and time again and keeps playing old and slow Suarez-Raki-Busi next to Messi. That has to change because Messi won't change but of course his individual quality still justifies him being the center point of the team.

Frenkie and Griezmann should be a good start here.

JohnN

Is he playing rigt wing thought?
You just said he isn't comparable to other players but now you diminish his role to a pure right winger? But he is not one and haven't been for some time now. His stamina and acceleration is not what it used to be for him to play a pure right winger role.

JohnN

I think everyone is aware that having Messi on the team brings some downsides as well. He won't run and fight for 90 min, that simply won't happen. And i think it's because he just can't do it physically.

I also thought that everyone understands that having Messi on a team, does indeed have downsides too.
What astonishes me, is people think he is lazy.
He always played like this. It's been noted many times all over the years, that he has a walking pace during games and seems to be lost when the team doesn't have the ball, it's not something new.

Like Wenger said:

There’s no perfect player. They all have flaws, For example, Messi is the most perfect of them all because he can make others play and he can score himself, but he has weaknesses, contrary to what some people think.
If you analyse his game, he’s not very good in the air, he’s not great defensively.
But you don’t make a living out of your weaknesses, you make a living out of your strengths, therefore the coach must emphasise the strengths as much as possible and put players around this person who hide his weaknesses.

Source | <a href="https://www.rtl.fr/culture/medias-people/arsene-wenger-premier-invite-de-et-si-7794106827">RTL</a>

That doesn't make him lazy. He is just not good at it. He never was. You can't expect him to improve at the age of 32 in an area of the game that demands great effort and stamina. That is delusional. He can't physically do what Pedro did and at the same time deliver all the stuff that makes him so unique, special and efficient.. something has to give.
You either have to drop him from the squad if you think that the things he brings to the game don't compensate for his flaws, or accept those flaws and try to build a system that emphasizes his strengths.

And he wasn't even shit.

Yes he was shit like the other players. He created 2 chances but had one 100% chance against Alisson and an another a 1vs1 opportunity.

Home of Barca Fans