Lionel Messi - v7

KingLeo10

Messi obviously worked hard enough to get where he is, but it is true imo that being hard-working is not one of his many qualities.

Compared to CR7, sure. Compared to any other all-time great who played the game? No. He's had a longer peak than Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano, R9, Romario. Pele I can't comment but probably equal to Messi.

For me, 2nd hardest working all-time great. It's the same argument in reverse that people apply with talent for Messi and CR7. Just because Messi's the most talented player ever doesn't mean CR7 was some Dzeko tier forward in talent. CR7 is easily the 3rd-4th most talented player of the last 30 years.

Last edited:

Batistuta9

Who cares about the stupid BdOr?

All individual awards should be scrapped imo. It creates selfishness within players who put themselves before the team. I think neymar was genuinely happy at barca, he only left so he could lead his own team so he could win the ballon d'or

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's funny how all the idiots of former players including Rivaldo told Neymar he had to leave Barcelona to win the BdO and become his own man, and now all of them are telling him he should return lol.

Not that I believe they had much of an influence in that decision, but it might have played some role in it.

Worst thing was our former players such as Rivaldo and Romario doing that. You'd think they would know better.

KingLeo10

It's funny how all the idiots of former players including Rivaldo told Neymar he had to leave Barcelona to win the BdO and become his own man, and now all of them are telling him he should return lol.

Not that I believe they had much of an influence in that decision, but it might have played some role in it.

Worst thing was our former players such as Rivaldo and Romario doing that. You'd think they would know better.

By the time Neymar came to Barca, Messi already had 4 Ballon D'Or. It's almost 2020 and Messi is still twice the player Neymar is. Lmao.

KingLeo10

EHm7UNmU4AAqQrU.jpg

Just about 4.25 times as many goals as the next highest CL scorer on the team in the last 3-4 years.

By contrast, Benz has given RM 16 goals, Bale 8-9 goals, and even Ramos 3 goals in the last 3-4 years to complement CR7's goals. EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY, Benz, Bale, and Ramos score in important KO games (Ramos 2 times in CL finals, Bale 2 times in CL finals, Benz in CL final, semis etc.) which Suarez simply doesn't do since 15-16. The last time we had someone other than Messi who was a serious goal threat in CL KOs was 14-15 and we destroyed City, PSG, Bayern and dominated Juve to win the CL lol (Ney scored 7 goals in 7 KO games, Suarez 5 goals in 7 KO games).

Could Messi have done more in 13/14, 15/16, and 17/18? Yes. But this is for those who thought he was one of the ones responsible for our CL failure in 18/19 when he literally carried us, lol.

Last edited:

serghei

Compared to CR7, sure. Compared to any other all-time great who played the game? No. He's had a longer peak than Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano, R9, Romario. Pele I can't comment but probably equal to Messi.

For me, 2nd hardest working all-time great. It's the same argument in reverse that people apply with talent for Messi and CR7. Just because Messi's the most talented player ever doesn't mean CR7 was some Dzeko tier forward in talent. CR7 is easily the 3rd-4th most talented player of the last 30 years.

I don't know that, so I kind of stay away from comparing players between different eras. Messi is the best and most exciting player I've seen, despite his flaws (every single sportsman has them anyway), so I am happy that I just got to see him play from the start for my favorite foreign club.

I have little doubt that people who saw Maradona play at the peak of their life see him as better. I also wonder what it's like to see another player greater than Messi and don't think it's possible because Messi is so so great, but I didn't see peak Maradona playing or peak Pele.

serghei

Most important thing is for people to enjoy something to the fullest without needing universal validation.

I have reached that with Messi and Federer. I believe they are the greatest I have seen, but don't feel an urge to be angry at those who prefer Nadal and Ronaldo because I know I could too if I'd be a different person.

Last edited:

serghei

First step in reaching this mindset is admiting that Nadal and Ronaldo are absolute legends that belong in the same conversation with Messi and Federer. Once you are true with yourself and admit that, you are less and less mad when others have different oppinions in this matter.

MTL_Barca

Would be quite something if Neymar never ends up winning a single balon dor lol

Wouldn't even be a big surprise. Imo the age difference just isn't big enough for him to become Messis heir at Barca or in general even though i think he has/had the talent to be the "best of the rest". Add injuries and a poor career choice in joining PSG and well here we are.

Last edited:

bismp

I also think that Neymar isn’t winning a B’Dor.It actually says a lot that he used to be top 3-5 in voting and now he’s lost a lot of ground.To win a B’dor he has to either:

A)Win the CL as the best player of the team.That would be quite hard to do in PSG,but even if it happens,the award would probably go to Mbappe.Same with Barcelona and Messi.

or

B)Win the 2022 WC with Brazil.That’s more plausible,but by 2022 Neymar will be like 30 years old,so it’s quite probable that he won’t be Brazil’s best player anymore

Nazario1985

EHm7UNmU4AAqQrU.jpg

But this is for those who thought he was one of the ones responsible for our CL failure in 18/19 when he literally carried us, lol.

Some people like to say BS !!! this guy carried the team since 2009 the only difference is now their is no one to help so barca level is going down.

As if he can't have a bad game in the CL otherwise it's his fault if we get out while other players are asleep or passing the ball backward !!

As much as some hate Neymar, it was actually the only one who helped make things move in the team back in 2015 if Messi was not in a good form.

Also the goals only are not reflecting how much the impact he have over the play of the teams since a decade !!! the majority of goals we can remember he was involved in them !!!

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans