Lionel Messi - v7

Leo_Messi

As I wrote earlier in post 982, I think that the likely/possible relapse that Messi suffered from before the Osasuna game, occurred (mainly) due to his non-existent pre-season. A pre-season is a crucial thing. Even more so for players Messi's age that are coming off a very long season and tiring Copa América tournament played on potato fields.

As other users wrote, better safe than sorry. Even though we are 5 points behind Atlético de Madrid, the season has just started and 5 points is nothing with 35 league rounds left.

Let Messi have a pre-season and let him take it easily in the first many games after his return. I think that he will first be close to fully ready after the last international break this year (November). After that there is 3-4 weeks of football before the Christmas break.

As I wrote in the previous post, this might be a good thing for the team. We can't keep relying on a 32+ year old Messi no matter how insanely good he is and no matter how important he is for the team. We added Griezmann (a truly world class player that was the main offensive outlet for Altético 5 seasons in a row and "their own Messi") to the team and this season will be a do or die season for Dembélé as well.
For starters Malmierda's retarded "tactics" could just as well be renamed to "play the ball to Messi at all times". That should not be the case. Even less with De Jong's arrival and hopefully Arthur playing most matches when ready. With De Jong and Arthur creating in the midfield, Messi should not have the need to constantly fall back and try to create from the midfield position later to try to finish off most attacks. Messi is no longer 25 years old. He can't play that for much longer. He should be playing closer to goal IMO without limiting his creative output and while allowing him to wander up front.

The positive about Messi being out is that it will further expose Malmieda and give additional opportunities to the likes of Fati and Pérez.

In any case I think that we will win against Valencia with or without Messi.

Last edited:

bismp

As I wrote earlier in post 982, I think that the likely/possible relapse that Messi suffered from before the Osasuna game, occurred (mainly) due to his non-existent pre-season. A pre-season is a crucial thing. Even more so for players Messi's age that are coming off a very long season and tiring Copa América tournament played on potato fields.

As other users wrote, better safe than sorry. Even though we are 5 points behind Atlético de Madrid, the season has just started and 5 points is nothing with 35 league rounds left.

Let Messi have a pre-season and let him take it easily in the first many games after his return. I think that he will first be close to fully ready after the last international break this year (November). After that there is 3-4 weeks of football before the Christmas break.

As I wrote in the previous post, this might be a good thing for the team. We can't keep relying on a 32+ year old Messi no matter how insanely good he is and no matter how important he is for the team. We added Griezmann (a truly world class player that was the main offensive outlet for Altético 5 seasons in a row and "their own Messi") to the team and this season will be a do or die season for Dembélé as well.
For starters Malmierda's retarded "tactics" could just as well be renamed to "play the ball to Messi at all times". That should not be the case. Even less with De Jong's arrival and hopefully Arthur playing most matches when ready. With De Jong and Arthur creating in the midfield, Messi should not have the need to constantly fall back and try to create from the midfield position later to try to finish off most attacks. Messi is no longer 25 years old. He can't play that for much longer. He should be playing closer to goal IMO without limiting his creative output and while allowing him to wander up front.

The positive about Messi being out is that it will further expose Malmieda and give additional opportunities to the likes of Fati and Pérez.

In any case I think that we will win against Valencia with or without Messi.
I think November is too much.He'll be back at some point during September.Let's hope he'll be fully healed and won't be facing any other issues,so that he can reach close to last year's level

Leo_Messi

I think November is too much.He'll be back at some point during September.Let's hope he'll be fully healed and won't be facing any other issues,so that he can reach close to last year's level

November being the month where he will be back to what resembles optimal form. For starters have in mind that we don't really know when he will be back and that Messi has had no pre-season at all. So he will need to be declared fit and gain momentum and become match-fit before we can talk about him having returned to his best. Half of October is allocated for another 2 week long international break.

Of course he might surprise me and be in an optimal form as soon as he returns but I very much doubt that. Had this been a 5 years younger Messi, I would have a different opinion.

Last year's performance was tremendous. One of the best performances (over an entire season) of an 31-32 year old offensive player that I have seen in a long, long time. Messi just needs Malmierda and the team to step up and do theirs. Had we done that last season (looking at the infamous Liverpool game at Anfield) we would likely have won another triplete. Alas, was not to be.

Last edited:

BigBarcaBoy

People need to understand the importance of a preaseason especially when coming back from injury.it is important that he comes back when he is ready

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Something is definitely going on in Barcelona right now with Messi.

Title says: This is my home and I don't want to leave, but I want to win

Also one of the quotes he says that he doesn't know if Barca truly did their best to bring Neymar back.

EEN0SoYX4AEpaAb

serghei

Well, don't want to repeat this for the nth time, but if he wants to win he shouldn't have supported Valverde back in the summer. By 'I want to win' I presume he refers to the Champions League. We had the chance to bring in Griezmann, De Jong + a new manager, and we failed. Now we have to see how Griezmann and De Jong are playing like crap with these retarded tactics.

Neymar means fuck all for the CL. It's not like he is a magic fix for our issues. It's frankly disappointing that a player who has worked under Guardiola for so long, and to that huge success, can't see the manager is the big issue with the team.

Maybe it's not too late and the seniors will realize being comfortable with a spineless clown around isn't doing anyone any favors as far as CL is concerned. I doubt it will happen though.

Last edited:

soul24rage

Maybe it's not too late and the seniors will realize being comfortable with a spineless clown around isn't doing anyone any favors as far as CL is concerned. I doubt it will happen though.

If 2 CL humiliations isn't enough to make them understand, then I'm afraid it's too late.

He probably thought with the signings coming in over the summer that he wouldn't have to carry the team any more. Watching the first 3 games he obviously knows that is not the case.

Must be incredibly demoralizing for someone who 'likes to be comfortable' to know it's all on him again. He must know that the manager needs changing. If only there was an outstanding candidate I believe he would push for it.

serghei

Outstanding candidate? I'll take even an okay-sh one like Lucho any time instead of Valverde. And I didn't even like Lucho that much, but at least the man had something going for him, you could see some principles and some 'cojones'.

xXKonan

Not sure what more we could have done with the Neymar deal.

PSG was always going to be notoriously difficult to deal with. We didn't have the money they straight-up wanted so we tried to give them players they would be interested in with the money we may have already but said players didn't want to leave.

I really hope this isn't Messi trying to rock the boat for that reason. I get he wants to be competitive (Even though he backed Valverde) but saying that "I'm not sure the club did everything it can to get Neymar" yeah I'm not a fan of that.

Outstanding candidate? I'll take even an okay-sh one like Lucho any time instead of Valverde. And I didn't even like Lucho that much, but at least the man had something going for him, you could see some principles and some 'cojones'.

All the candidates put forward here were just horrible. Upgrades yes, but very mediocre managers imho. The candidates were so bad I would personally legit prefer a Xavi/Puyol double act over any of them. EV is just a really lucky man.

clemente

Or maybe... marca just writing their usual garbage, how delusional u have to be to think that Messi is actually dicating the transfers lmao.

Leo_Messi

Decided to quickly translate all the quotes of his from Sport's front page for today/tomorrow.

EEN0SoYX4AEpaAb

"This is my home and I don't want to leave, but I want to win".

"I would have loved for Neymar to have come. To be honest, I do not know if Barça did everything possible for him to return but it is certain that negotiating with PSG is not easy".

"I am not disappointed. We have a spectacular squad that can aim for everything (able to win every trophy), without Neymar as well".

"Sporting wise Neymar is one of the best players in the world. And with him, in terms of brand level and sponsors, the club would have taken a leap forward".

"It would be good for the club if there was stability and not so many changes in the sporting structure. Puyol would be an ideal general manager".

"We never asked for the Neymar transfer, we simply told our opinion (about the transfer). Am I in charge? It has been proven that this is not the case."

"Antonela means everything to me, she is a spectacular companion, that always knows how to deal with me, in particular during bad times".

Clearly pissed at the board for whatever reason but we don't really know if what he tells in public (no anti-Valverde comments) is really how he feels in private. I have little reason to believe that Messi is not aware of the clear deficiencies of Valverde and that Barça is not what it was once. If I can see it and most of us here, I have a hard time believing that an experienced footballer such as Messi who understands the inner workings of the club after spending almost 20 years at the club, would be unaware of it. Having lived through every era of ours himself in the past 15+ years, should certainly ensure that.

In any case, even if Messi had publicly criticized Valverde, I don't really think that the current pathetic board would have acted. The "club de amigos" clan surely has their influence but at the same time I don't really believe that they are running most of the inner workings of the club, let alone deciding the "sporting project" ( :lol: laughing here as I write this) etc. The spineless board is probably considering their opinions but that is about it. If most of that bunch (old guard) had been openly vocal against Valverde, it would be another discussion altogether IMO. Unfortunately for us and the club, they chose not too because the same spineless board and spineless Malmierda is not going to kick their butts, challenge them or part ways with them as should have been the case for some of the "vacas sagradas" some time ago. Hence they will keep quiet as it suits their own personal interests to the detriment of the club.

Such a pathetic situation would never have occurred under Laporta or if the Cruyff sporting model was being implemented.

Last edited:
What the hell is going on right now? Only comparable moment is early 2015 when he skipped training with "gastroenteritis" and then started following Chelsea on instagram. Even then, I don't think he ever spoke out publicly against the people running the club.

Kul_z

I think he is powerless. If he wasnt married and had three kids already settled in barcelona, he would say fuck off, maybe even last year. He wants to stay but he wants to win, thats a clear message that he'd like to see some changes, but he is not in charge and the board knows that. I wouldnt be surprised that he skips valencia game and play cl away to dortmund full time. Not saying that he is faking the injury, but it could be something bigger then that

Home of Barca Fans