Lionel Messi - v7

Total-Football

Messi usually plays like that when there are 2 lines of defense in front of him.

I would say messi plays like that when we loose the possession battle.. Because then he drops 20 meters deeper, making his runs at the opponents dangerous areas much much much fewer.

Horatio

You're welcome
He should have dropped back way more and help the midfielders. Unfortunately he was just standing upfront and watching the opponent dominate us with and without the ball.

I think he received the ball plenty of times on the midfield and set up the attack, but players didnt look for him as much in the final third, which is good and bad since we dont look as dependent of him but we are also missing his finishing or sublime decision making.

vegitot

I think he received the ball plenty of times on the midfield and set up the attack, but players didnt look for him as much in the final third, which is good and bad since we dont look as dependant of him but we are also missing his finishing or sublime decision making.
He loses the ball quite multiple times this match.

serghei

That inevitable loss of an extra yard of pace hurts him in games like these.

Well-put. And also a proof why those saying he's playing better than ever are completely wrong.

But a lot of the reasons why Messi was crap was due to the incredibly poor game of Busi and Rakitic. He was more active when Alena came on.

Leong157

Well-put. And also a proof why those saying he's playing better than ever are completely wrong.

But a lot of the reasons why Messi was crap was due to the incredibly poor game of Busi and Rakitic. He was more active when Alena came on.

Yes, he is good but not good enogh to carry this whole team on his own every match anymore due to his age.

He need proper system or at least good midfield.

Horatio

You're welcome
Imo it’s more a mentality issue than decline of physicality.
Messi usually plays like a beast in Camp Nou because of the pitch and crowd but many times seems to not care as much playing away against teams that defend decently. He should be more motivated because of the challenge imo.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Was bound to have a bad game after so many good ones recently. Thought we had spent all those hundred of millions so that could happen without us dropping points, but this club can’t plan for shit. Doesn’t help having a coach like Valverde either. And then we have the fans thinking we can somehow win the CL this season... Poor people.

Pedro

La Masia
[youtube]4VmYX9NLqZM[/youtube]

I missed the game, but he played quite well from these highlights, he's saving himself for El Clasico anyway

Home of Barca Fans