Lionel Messi - v7

vegitot

maradona had 62 fk goals. i think messi will surprass him soon
actually messi already surprassed maradona in every category( except probably ball control only)

raskolnikov

i think leadership skills are somewhat overrated there
messi always tries his best to make the team better,he just doesnt yell at his teammates
For me its inspiring whole team to up their level.
So an average team becomes great. It happened in a few matches but overall everyone just looks for Messi to do everything and play below their capabilities. Wether at Argentina or Barca since 2012 bar two msn years.

Maradona did lift up Napoli and Argentina. Zidane also had it with France.
I cant even explain why, they just played way better with him on the pitch.

KingLeo10

So an average team becomes great. It happened in a few matches but overall everyone just looks for Messi to do everything and play below their capabilities. Wether at Argentina or Barca since 2012 bar two msn years.

My opinion is that Messi is a sheer genius when it comes to playing in an organized system, be it possession or even counter attack like the first couple MSN years or Rijkaard era.

If the team has structure, then there's never been a player more efficient/more lethal than Messi and it's not even close.

Maradona and Zidane thrive more in chaos. Neither was particularly tied to one way of attacking/one area of the pitch and had a lot more spontaneous movement and moments of inspiration.

You can kinda see this with Zidane and Xavi too. In a system, Xavi's peak was way more dominant than anything Zidane ever put up. But under more chaotic environment of national team football or even galactico football, ZZ thrived.

Ritchie

Ronaldo didnt inspire Ramos, Bale and Modric to bail him out of those CL finals he did fuck all in. Good teams have players who will lift themselves. That's what it takes to win tournaments including the CL titles Barca won.

The way Iniesta would always step up in big moments for example. Or Thuram in 98 when France were going out to Croatia (Wiltord and Trezeguet in 2000 final. It wasn't always Zidane

vegitot

My opinion is that Messi is a sheer genius when it comes to playing in an organized system, be it possession or even counter attack like the first couple MSN years or Rijkaard era.

If the team has structure, then there's never been a player more efficient/more lethal than Messi and it's not even close.

Maradona and Zidane thrive more in chaos. Neither was particularly tied to one way of attacking/one area of the pitch and had a lot more spontaneous movement and moments of inspiration.

You can kinda see this with Zidane and Xavi too. In a system, Xavi's peak was way more dominant than anything Zidane ever put up. But under more chaotic environment of national team football or even galactico football, ZZ thrived.

zidane barely come under chaotic environment. 3 years no tittle,what can you say? easily levels below xavi/iniesta
his nt reputation is overrated. thuram was as good as him or even better at nt.
messi lost three finals in a row. very unlucky but he was tournament best player. zidane was subpar against italy both in euro 2000 and world cup 2006. difference is he had pires,henry,wiltord,trezeguet won the game for him,something that messi didn't have

vegitot

napoli was not an average team back then. they were one of richest team in europe,spent many money to bought good players.
france wasnt average.

Nazario1985

Have you checked the 10 other players that played with Maradona in Napoli ?

France 1998 i think you should remember all of them and how many WC players they had or became.

Zidane best performance was in 2006.

Messi carried this team since Ronaldinho left. Yes we had great team players and even legends like Xavi & Iniesta but it was and still Messi.

The only issue is the carriage is HUGE under EV.

Last edited:

Hardy

zidane barely come under chaotic environment. 3 years no tittle,what can you say? easily levels below xavi/iniesta
messi lost three finals in a row. very unlucky but he was tournament best player. zidane was subpar against italy both in euro 2000 and world cup 2006. difference is he had pires,henry,wiltord,trezeguet won the game for him,something that messi didn't have

zidane was player of the tournament in euro 2000.

eaman

Well both played in midfield for their countries and were constantly involved in games which makes it easier to look good. Messi does drop deep at times for argentina but mostly he has to wait for a very average midfield to get the ball to him or other players around him just playing badly alot of the time

Batistuta9

zidane was player of the tournament in euro 2000.
Zidane did have his best tournament at euro 2000, but people forget in the final that wiltord scored in the last minute to take it to extra time and and trezeguet scored the golden goal. Zidane was man marked by his team mate pessoto and had a quiet game. Messi was the best player at WC 2014, unfortunately for messi and Argentina, if he doesn't produce no one else does.

Ritchie

Zidane was poor at 98 World Cup until the final against a Brazil in shock missing the worlds best player. Scored 2 headers from corners against a team who hadn't prepared properly without Ronaldo and he's suddenly a great.

He was superb at the Euro 2000 I'll give him that but he was nowhere in the final that Italy should have won.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans