Lionel Messi - v7

Rory

How much do people think he brings in? Obviously covid year totally changes things and no one should be on this wage including Messi during these times. I reckon he brings in around €100m after extra tickets sold, stadium tours, museums, the messi experience (or whatever that thing is), sponsorship attraction, merchandise, competition money.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
You totally missed my point.
Obviously everyone knows the very high salaries of the sports and entertainment stars;
in this economic regime it is normal for the best sportsman to earn insane amounts.
But, YES, it's a discourse that has to do with capitalism, with how unfair these huge salaries are (not Messi's in particular) and how western society is shit (and also the cause of the fact that the 80% of human being, and of the users of this forum are totally idiots who run after fiake values).

This is why I say that it is stupid to be surprised by this contract, especially when the whole system is rotten.

I think it's an indictment on humanity itself rather than just a system.
I don't want to derail the thread but when we as a species tend to value the contribution of a barely educated adult that can kick a football above those that actually contribute to the actual advancement of society, that's when you know shits fucked up.

If you want to expand on it, the role of "sport" in societies both in the past and present is instrumental in ensuring a more content and compliant populace.

serghei

I don't think he brings even 100m. That's a lot of money. Building a good team that can challenge for titles and play great football would just the same fill stadiums and bring the fans close to the team. You don't need Messi for that.

Rory

I don't think he brings even 100m. That's a lot of money. Building a good team that can challenge for titles and play great football would just the same fill stadiums and bring the fans close to the team. You don't need Messi for that.

This seems a relatively fair look at it https://twitter.com/ManagingBarca/status/1355803404342161412?s=20

No one's saying building a good team is a worse option. This is just specifically about Messi. Judging by what we do know about ticket sales, merchandise sales, social media engagement, sponsorships and many other things he seems to cover his wages.

Would I rather have a better functioning overall team instead of Messi? From last year yes. I wouldn't trust a barca board to spend wisely though

Richard.H

I think it's an indictment on humanity itself rather than just a system.
I don't want to derail the thread but when we as a species tend to value the contribution of a barely educated adult that can kick a football above those that actually contribute to the actual advancement of society, that's when you know shits fucked up.

If you want to expand on it, the role of "sport" in societies both in the past and present is instrumental in ensuring a more content and compliant populace.

Don't want to derail this thread completely, but I do find it ironic how all sports in the US (even MLS) have a salary cap on all teams to essentially redistribute wealth. However, in Europe it's basically an absolute free market.

JamDav1982

Don't want to derail this thread completely, but I do find it ironic how all sports in the US (even MLS) have a salary cap on all teams to essentially redistribute wealth. However, in Europe it's basically an absolute free market.

Who is wealth distributed to under salary cap? Owners rather than players?

Respekt_III

Anti-everything

That's actuslly a terrible analysis lol.
Please don't link to Twitter as any sort of proof to try validate his extortiante wage.

Richard.H

Who is wealth distributed to under salary cap? Owners rather than players?

Players so no single player is played an insane amount and make it more difficult to form super teams. Of course it's still possible with star players taking a paycut like Durant with Warriors and the Heat big 3. Also a salary cap prevents situations like this where a team is stupid enough to pay a good chunk of its revenue to a single player. I know your point and yes the owners are still very wealthy compared to the players

Respekt_III

Anti-everything

Salary caps don't really solve the fundamental issue with $$$ in sport. Salary caps aren't designed to distribute wealth they're designed to allow teams to compete on an equal financial footing, this in the US as jamdav has pointed out has led to sports franchise being incredibly profitable for their owners more than anything else.

So basically the extortiante wages that would of gone to a player would then go to the 1% instead. Not really an ideal solution.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Players so no single player is played an insane amount and make it more difficult to form super teams. Of course it's still possible with star players taking a paycut like Durant with Warriors and the Heat big 3. Also a salary cap prevents situations like this where a team is stupid enough to pay a good chunk of its revenue to a single player. I know your point and yes the owners are still very wealthy compared to the players

That surely doesnt mean wealth is distributed to other players if assume even the lowest paid players would be making more if no cap in place also.

Could just mean all are underpaid compared to what would be otherwise.

khaled_a_d

To put some context into this, Tom Brady (the greatest player in NFL history) has repeatedly taken less money than the top QBs for the last 15 years running...to enable his team to get better talent around him. And this is why he's going for his 7th ring. Takes an enormous amount of leadership and ego swallowing...in service of winning championships.

Messi turned into a money hungry clown somewhere around 2015, forgetting that he only won those CLs because he had Xavi, Iniesta, Alves and co. No player can win the CL by himself (Not Messi, not CR7, not Maradona, not Pele) but the strategy of thinking he could put such huge financial burden on the team while also saying "board didn't build right around me" shows just how detached from reality he has been. Inflated sense of his own abilities. He's GOAT tier (at his best) but not invincible. Deserves the string of CL humiliations attached to his resume.

Michael Jordan signed a contract that was bigger than the whole NBA salary cap, bigger than his whole teammates earning and you still select him as the GOAT in his sport and even laugh when someone compare Lebron to him.
I know nothing about egghand as sport, but every great player has always negotiated his contracts like that.
And saying he shouldn't complain "they didn't build a team around him" because he was earning that much?
You know we could have built 2 teams around him if the money we actually spent was spent wisely? It isn't like the club didn't have resources to build a team even with his high salary, they simply spent it wrongly. And Messi just said that truth

Richard.H

That surely doesnt mean wealth is distributed to other players if assume even the lowest paid players would be making more if no cap in place also.

Could just mean all are underpaid compared to what would be otherwise.

my point is it would certainly prevent situations like the one with Messi. Messi is making more than 6-7 NBA team combined salaries which to me is insane. That's not even including all the money he gets from sponsors.

source: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-team-salaries-at-a-glance/

Home of Barca Fans