Lionel Messi - v7

kattanib

This guy attitude is the route of our attacking problems this season. Today in the first half when he accepted the role of being just another player in the flank and not being the center of attention, the game was fluid and team play was at its maximum. The issue with Messi is that he is uncontrollable, does not stick to his position and pressures players to pass to him.

KingLeo10

This guy attitude is the route of our attacking problems this season. Today in the first half when he accepted the role of being just another player in the flank and not being the center of attention, the game was fluid and team play was at its maximum. The issue with Messi is that he is uncontrollable, does not stick to his position and pressures players to pass to him.

Cool story. You take those schizo meds yet?

Ritchie

I hope he won't travel to Hungary.

It's the travel as much as the games with Messi. He's always a write off the game after an international break with all the travel. Getting the CL wrapped up quickly means he can skip the long trips to Eastern Europe. He can play the Juve game though at home.

Valdario

how can anyone hate on messi lmao i'm dead with the fifa coaches here and their tactical astuteness

messi is the god of football, he has proven it for 15 years every single week

BusiTheKing

He was obviously great but I saw nothing in that performance that prompts any optimism about a his worth on the big stage. None of the genius he added today would have found passage against Atleti, for example.

Sorin

Nice game. The week of rest did wonders for him. Also, iconic tribute. My Goat.

He was obviously great but I saw nothing in that performance that prompts any optimism about a his worth on the big stage. None of the genius he added today would have found passage against Atleti, for example.

Considering the only good chances we got against Atleti came from Messi's passes it seems a little harsh to say that. Messi in his prime found it hard creating genius moments against Simeone's Atletico, nevermind now.

serghei

Yeah, it's not like he'll suddenly become prime Messi again just because he was great vs poor Osasuna at home. But we're hoping he will get more rest and he'll start to put in good performances consistently, with dribbles, passes, and especially great goals. Without disrupting the team too much.

Despite all disagreements here, every Barca fan here wants the team and Messi to do well, even if not necessarily in the same order.

Last edited:

Altomonte

Whoever you are, "BusiTheKing", did you watch Valverde's last game, the match we lost to Atletico Madrid in Saudi Arabia? The match where Messi played out of his mind but was punished repeatedly by VAR? Remember, it was jus a few months ago, just before the COVID mess.
Messi single-handedly destroyed Atletico but - at the end - because of VAR Bar?a lost a game where they played great entertaining football.
If Messi was able to dominate Atletico a few months ago and dominated Osasuna today, how can you denigrate him today, when he scored a beautiful goal and then paid a classy tribute to his Argentina predecessor as #10, as the world's best player?

BusiTheKing

Whoever you are, "BusiTheKing", did you watch Valverde's last game, the match we lost to Atletico Madrid in Saudi Arabia? The match where Messi played out of his mind but was punished repeatedly by VAR? Remember, it was jus a few months ago, just before the COVID mess.
Messi single-handedly destroyed Atletico but - at the end - because of VAR Bar?a lost a game where they played great entertaining football.
If Messi was able to dominate Atletico a few months ago and dominated Osasuna today, how can you denigrate him today, when he scored a beautiful goal and then paid a classy tribute to his Argentina predecessor as #10, as the world's best player?

You're talking like I'm attacking the man. I have no agenda, just being realistic about him.

What I'm saying is that while his genius has full outlet in games like Osasouna, it will have very diminished platform in tough, intense games unless he starts running for real. Games where the spaces aren't just there but where you have to seek them out. Invent them. Move persistently to discompose the opposition until they appear and then grab them with no hesitation.

What I'm looking for are signs that he's willing to put that kind of work in.

And no, it's clearly not just a case of physical limitations, old age, fatigue. Leo has no issue expending energy in alternate ways. Trying runs from deep, fighting vigorously for balls if he feels personally squared up.

This is very much a mental thing. It's about putting yourself in situations where you can fail. Daring. It's clear that he actively avoids working to get in situations that might lead to dissapointent. Instead of getting the ball in momentum, he wants to get it while the attack is dead. He wants to create something out of nothing more than he wants to put himself in advantageous positions from where something is expected from him, where he can fail.

sikkboy

I've seen it all today! From 'It's more important what you do without the ball than what you do with it' to 'putting yourself in positions where you're more likely to fail'. He's has one of the most intelligent footballing minds that's likely ever played the game, and he's almost 34! Nope, must run into blind alleys where Barca's super creative players will find him with precise passes, and Barca will prevail. :lol: This place is totally mental at times. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans