Lionel Messi - v7

raskolnikov

Unibet odds boost. Exactly, 1.8 is like Madrid at home for Messi not Osasuna. I honestly expect him to score 1/2 today after that little rest and dedicate it to Maradona.

If its a goalless lackluster performance once again I will be worried.
Like expected. Goat getting back at it again!

serghei

I dont think his movement was any different to other games this season. If anything he probably made less runs. I dont think the distance covered would be any different

I think he ran a bit more, he made more runs in the box (a sign he was fresher), he tried fewer dribbles in crowded areas resulting in much fewer turnovers, he kept position more which helped us keep a better ball circulation. He did everything better from A to Z compared with his previous games.

sikkboy

I think the difference today was the wide players making the runs, and he typically found them with brilliant passes. Glad he got that goal as I'm sure that while he was pleased the team was winning, he was probably still wondering what he actually had to do to get a goal. Almost all the attacks (and goals) were as a result of his passes in to feet/space, typically pre-assists. Did anybody creata singe chance for him, once where he could hit first time or take a touch and shoot? I don't recall one.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I think the difference today was the wide players making the runs, and he typically found them with brilliant passes. Glad he got that goal as I'm sure that while he was pleased the team was winning, he was probably still wondering what he actually had to do to get a goal. Almost all the attacks (and goals) were as a result of his passes in to feet/space, typically pre-assists. Did anybody creata singe chance for him, once where he could hit first time or take a touch and shoot? I don't recall one.

He had plenty of such chances in the previous games and failed to put them away. His goals always look "complicated" because he starts and ends his own attacks and rarely just taps it in due to the fashion in which he attacks the box. He almost never makes first time runs inside it, instead arriving into the 16m area in a second wave for a cutback.

serghei

Well, to get goals he had to shoot well. Which he did once today. In the other games his shooting was pretty bad. Vs Alaves he was also unlucky.

And he doesn't score easy goals from teammates passes, because he still doesn't move well enough to get into these positions regularly. Coutinho somehow had 4-5 chances, should have had about 3 goals. Griezmann the same, had chances to score 1-2 more. That's because the movement of Griezmann and Coutinho is a level above Messi's.

Messi's movement was improved today, but only when compared with his own movement from the other games. Compared with Griezmann (who, leaving aside his other flaws, is one of the best movers in the game) it was still pretty average. That's why Griezmann shoots more compared with Messi. Because he moves much better and works harder.

Last edited:

sikkboy

I think he ran a bit more, he made more runs in the box (a sign he was fresher), he tried fewer dribbles in crowded areas resulting in much fewer turnovers, he kept position more which helped us keep a better ball circulation. He did everything better from A to Z compared with his previous games.

I agree with the bolded bit, otherwise I thought he was generally himself, although he probably didn't walk as much.

sikkboy

Well, to get goals he had to shoot well. Which he did once today. In the other games his shooting was pretty bad.

And he doesn't score easy goals from passes, because he still doesn't move well enough to get into these positions. Coutinho somehow had 4-5 chances, should had about 3 goals at a minimum. Griezmann the same. That's because the movement of Griezmann and Coutinho is a level above Messi's.

It's because messi is opening the game up for them. They don't create fuck all so they better at the very least score. I'm sure Messi would appreciate some reciprocation.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
It's because messi is opening the game up for them. They don't create fuck all so they better at the very least score. I'm sure Messi would appreciate some reciprocation.

They create enough for each other, just not for Messi due to his tendency to drop deep and low workrate. The one who was opening the game up for all the attackers was Braithwaite.

serghei

They do create. But you have to make runs in space to receive the ball. Otherwise you won't receive it. If Messi would up his movement and work-rate, he'd easily be the best scorer in the league with the team we have and his quality on the ball.

serghei

But anyway, I don't really expect Messi to keep scoring doubles and hattricks at this age even in La Liga. I consider myself satisfied if he plays like this usually.

sikkboy

They do create. But you have to make runs in space to receive the ball. Otherwise you won't receive it. If Messi would up his movement and work-rate, he'd easily be the best scorer in the league with the team we have and his quality on the ball.

They're not skilled enough to find him, and he's not going to be making runs into the box from 40 yards out. :lol: I don't see how you don't see this.

sikkboy

Absolute delusion. We've lacked midfield creativity for five years, that's been the main issue with this team. :lol: I'm out, waste of time.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
They're not skilled enough to find him, and he's not going to be making runs into the box from 40 yards out. :lol: I don't see how you don't see this.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that players like Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele, Ansu or Pedri are not skilled enough to find him when they all create chances for each other and often for Messi too.

serghei

Nobody is skilled enough to find static players that hide behind markers. If Messi wants to receive more passes in good positions, which would allow him to score more and up his numbers in this area (because his technique is still great), he simply needs to make more runs and be more active in the last 3rd. But it's easier said than done when you are 33-34 years old.

Home of Barca Fans