Lionel Messi - v7

Mitchell1978

So you're just a Messi fan?

I used to support Anderlecht when i was young, but like i said i can't support such badly run clubs (Anderlecht has been managed as shit as Barcelona).

I've always been a supporter of certain players, like Jordan in the NBA, and now Messi. I also like players like De Bruyne.

Rory

Is it possible to have a slightly more articulated opinion than this or should one be labeled as Messi fanboy?

Nope, not possible here I'm afraid. Even if you say; Messi should have left in the summer as it was right for everyone, if you say he's declined, if you say he should run more but you don't admit he's a piece of shit and should retire you're basically a messi fanboy first and barca fan second according to some. It's a shame really the forum has turned to shite

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I used to support Anderlecht when i was young, but like i said i can't support such badly run clubs (Anderlecht has been managed as shit as Barcelona).

I've always been a supporter of certain players, like Jordan in the NBA, and now Messi. I also like players like De Bruyne.

I totally understand why some are not fans of certain clubs and I understand why some fans are fans of certain players only, no problem at all. However, I don't understand why and how whether a club is well run or badly run affect's one's affection and affiliation with a club. A club is much more than the board or the management or the owner or whoever is running it or has been running it. Are you saying if a club is well run (defined by results and trophies I suppose?) you are likely to become a fan of it?

kattanib

I totally understand why some are not fans of certain clubs and I understand why some fans are fans of certain players only, no problem at all. However, I don't understand why and how whether a club is well run or badly run affect's one's affection and affiliation with a club. A club is much more than the board or the management or the owner or whoever is running it or has been running it. Are you saying if a club is well run (defined by results and trophies I suppose?) you are likely to become a fan of it?

There is a term for this. It starts with glory and ends with hunter.

serghei

Nope, not possible here I'm afraid. Even if you say; Messi should have left in the summer as it was right for everyone, if you say he's declined, if you say he should run more but you don't admit he's a piece of shit and should retire you're basically a messi fanboy first and barca fan second according to some. It's a shame really the forum has turned to shite

It's not possible because Messi's lack of effort and involvement, and his protected place in the team (the man that has to be passed to all the time, doesn't defend, can't be rested, can't be subbed, is old and earns 100m a year with taxes) can only be justified and compensated by him playing great football and having decisive contributions consistently. Meaning difference-maker, leading goal-scorer, leading assist maker, and so on.

Then the ones who dislike Messi's attitude and his dictatorial, unpleasant style, will have nothing to bash him with, in football terms. Because he simply delivers the goods, and the team is competitive using him as the main reference point. As long as you deliver the goods, exceptions will be made for you. It happens in every domain of life.

The problem is Messi doesn't deliver the goods anymore and is miles from the level he needs to perform at, for the club to still tolerate and protect his special status. Didn't do it in CL except rarely in the last few years (when his archrival became his equal by doing just that, being decisive in the bigger games), and now he seems past it in La Liga as well. With bad performances and terrible numbers. And not only against the top sides in the league but also against weak bottom-table teams.

Last edited:

Richard.H

+1000

Many fans dont understand this. The most problem is that even Messi doesnt understand it.

What's interesting is that it seems like he himself DOESN'T want to be rested. A lot of pro athletes at this stage of their career would themselves be asking for less mins so they can last longer. It seems like he himself doesn't want this. His personal fitness team (if he even has one) is dumb.

serghei

Nearly all foreign fans start as glory-hunters. It's why the most successful clubs have the biggest international fanbases. But once you join in and get attached to a team, you stick around for the bad days as well.

Rory

It's not possible because Messi's lack of effort and involvement, and his protected place in the team (the man that has to be passed to all the time, doesn't defend, can't be rested, can't be subbed, is old and earns 100m a year with taxes) can only be justified and compensated by him playing great football and having decisive contributions consistently. Meaning difference-maker, leading goal-scorer, leading assist maker, and so on.

Then the ones who dislike Messi's attitude and his dictatorial, unpleasant style, will have nothing to bash him with, in football terms. Because he simply delivers the good. As long as you deliver the goods, exceptions will be made for you. It happens in every domain of life.

The problem is Messi doesn't deliver the goods anymore and is miles from the level he needs to perform at, for the club to still tolerate and protect his special status. Didn't do it in CL except rarely in the last years, and now he seems past it in La Liga as well. With bad performances and terrible numbers. And not only against the top sides in the league but also against weak bottom-table teams.

Just repeating the same points that have been countered again and again. You fail to read the replies and take new information on board, so there's just no point.

serghei

Just repeating the same points that have been countered again and again. You fail to read the replies and take new information on board, so there's just no point.

I have been countered? With what? Man hasn't scored a significant goal away from Camp Nou in nearly a year and I've been countered :lol:.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

No, I think they are different from glory hunters who tend to be associated with the most prevailing/best club at the moment and drift away when they go down, not necessarily tied to certain players.

Rory

I have been countered? With what? Man hasn't scored a significant goal away from Camp Nou in nearly a year and I've been countered :lol:.

You see it's funny because I actually knew you'd come back with something like this. As if I was arguing Messi is a good player for us still. That's why there's no point.

1) You don't read what people put and remember it from previous discussions. This is because you're not interested in having a genuine discussion and reading alternative points of view.
2) You either intentionally or unintentionally straw man every poster who disagrees with you.

kattanib

What's interesting is that it seems like he himself DOESN'T want to be rested. A lot of pro athletes at this stage of their career would themselves be asking for less mins so they can last longer. It seems like he himself doesn't want this. His personal fitness team (if he even has one) is dumb.

He is a stubborn child and that will be his doom. He will be another arrogant Maradona

kattanib

Nearly all foreign fans start as glory-hunters. It's why the most successful clubs have the biggest international fanbases. But once you join in and get attached to a team, you stick around for the bad days as well.

I support Barca because of Ronaldinho. A glory hunter keeps on hunting, kill after kill, club after club.

Home of Barca Fans