Barca Transfers and Rumors

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Truth is, all things considered, coupled with Dortmund's willingness to move Paco I would prefer his profile as a #9 then the others mentioned but I don't see this as realistic considering the path already taken

Andresito

Staff member
I always read about the first option clubs have on certain players.
Do we know any cases, not only at Barca, where this clause has been triggered?

henias

What do y'all think of Raul Jimenez? Good at dribbling and holding up play. One of the reason for Wolves' great form.

Messi983

I like Jimenez but Wolves (BTW, I'm interested to see how Leandro Campana will do for them) won't sell him cheap and even less loan him to us. He would also take a non-EU spot which we apparently don't want.

Another name that I was thinking about is Cedric Bakambu. He apparently wants to return to Europe. It's possible his Chinese team won't let him go easily and he's also on a high salary there though we could probably pay him that for just 6 months.

Vela would be a good option too but now it's even less believable LAFC would loan him to us after the season he just had.

BBZ8800

Mundo Deportivo, Google Translate, it seems that this board is obssessed with players from Valencia:
Barça is pressing to try to gain the services of Rodrigo, Valencia forward, and one of the candidates to replace the injured Luis Suarez, as MD reported.

To nine days so that the term of the winter market is closed, the Barca club works to convince Valencia. Barça is looking for a transfer with option to buy at the end of the season, while the group that, set to have to get rid of one of its figures, prefers that it be already with a sale, which would be fixed in the 60 million euros that he asked for At Atlético this past summer.

However, Barça has an ‘ally’ to try to persuade Peter Lim, president and owner of Valencia, to agree to let Rodrigo leave for Camp Nou in this winter market. This is Jorge Mendes, Rodrigo's agent and in turn, personal advisor to Peter Lim himself. The Portuguese representative also has a very good relationship with the Barça board.

Mendes intervened in the transfers of André Gomes and Semedo, two of the players he also represents, in addition to collaborating in the signing of Paco Alcácer.

He collaborated to find a way out to Arda Turan
On the other hand, Mendes helped the Barca club to find a way out to Arda Turan, which ended up being transferred to Basaksehir, a club from which he was disconnected this December. Although he still has a contract with Barça until June, Galatasaray could be his destination in the coming days.

Our last few transfers of players from Spanish clubs:
Arda
Andre Gomes
Paco
Denis
Mathieu
Lenglet
Firpo

Sounds promising.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I would honestly prefer the profile of a striker like Stuani but we are at our foreign quota already

Giginho75

Almost impossible to find the right player in January.

Possible Griez as striker with Messi in 442 system?

Market rumors?

Warik

Chimy Avila would be amazing, if he wasn't non-EU. Scoring a lot for a pretty average Osasuna in terms of creativity. Works hard and can play all across the front 3.

Devils

[tw]1219929924116656128[/tw]

Rodrigo is the main man apparently.
scusthov.gif

We are trying to loan him though.

Messi983

Mundo Deportivo, Google Translate, it seems that this board is obssessed with players from Valencia:

Our last few transfers of players from Spanish clubs:
Arda
Andre Gomes
Paco
Denis
Mathieu
Lenglet
Firpo

Sounds promising.

Sure if you look at things this way. Or you should consider why/ in what role those players were brought for.

- Arda - fail
- Gomes - was brought as a backup with a hope to maybe become a starter. He obviously failed at that but at least we got most money back
- Paco - as said before I think he got too much hate, he's a good player but did never got a fair chance or a prolonged playing time
- Denis - he was at Barça B before being loaned/sold with buy back and then brought back. He failed but was cheap at least.
- Mathieu - I think he has done well in his role, surely can't be considered a fail. Not his fault Lucho has played him as a LB sometimes where he wasn't good anymore
- Lenglet - he was brought as a backup/competiton to Umtiti and became a starter because Big Sam's stupidity (playing through injury at Euro)
- Firpo - too early to fairly judge him and I believe he'll do well under Setien

You also didn't mention Bravo, Raki (both bought in the same summer than Mathieu) or Alba, Villa, Adriano (he was injury prone but still a good squad player to have). Nor Griezmann who was bought this year (the jury is still out on him imo).

Now where/which league would you buy from? Looking back from 2010 (since Rosell/Bartomeu) these are our transfers from other leagues

Bundesliga:

- Vidal - old but still overall a good transfer
- Dembele - injury prone and we know what you think about him :)
- MATS - great

So 2/3 so far unless Dembele suddenly stays healthy and turns things around.

IIRC our last transfer from BL before MATS was Patrick Anderson in 2001 so we really didn't buy a lot from BL.

EPL:

- Coutinho - lol
- Deulofeu - bought back from Everton, he's our product so not exactly fair to count him here but he still failed
- Suarez - great success
- Vermaelen - not a bad player but too injury prone, so a failed transfer
- Song - haha
- Cesc - would be a great transfer if season would only be from September to December, because it's not he flopped
- Masche - great success

So 2 out of 7 players have succeeded here.

Serie A:

- Alexis - I've actually liked him but many people didn't. Not a flop for me but also can't say he had a great success with us.

It's interesting (not exactly surprising though) he was our only signing from Italy in last 10 years. Ibra was signed a year before and he failed (not because of his lack of quality though) while Maxwell was solid.

Ligue 1:

- Malcom - fail
- Todibo - he was a cheap gamble, could still have a future at the club but I don't think so. Can't really call him a flop anyway though.
- Umtiti - great transfer before injuries
- Digne -a solid backup for two years

So I'd say 1,5/4 success so far but we made some great transfers from Ligue 1 in previous decade (Ronaldinho, Marquez, Giuly) and they have a lot of talents so we should still consider buying from France more imo.

Brazil:

- Emerson - developing good at Betis but can't say if he'll ever make it at Barça yet
- Arthur - you don't like him but still a good transfer
- Mina - was a success from a financial standpoint
- Marlon - never made it here but at least we made some money by selling him
- Lord Douglas - our lucky charm, we didn't won a CL since he left :)
- Neymar - you don't like him but was a great transfer anyway

So 2 good transfers, one we still don't know about and one who failed badly. Then two players who brought us some money.

Eredivisie:

- FDJ - still early but we can probably agree it looks like a great transfer
- Cillessen - very good transfer
- Afellay - injury prone and failed, but he was at least cheap

It's a small sample but overall we were successfull buying from the Netherlands in last decade. And we obviously had some great players from there in the past.

Portugal:

- Semedo - not a flop but also not a great success. A solid player but I think we'll move on from him sooner or later. Can't really make any assumption based on just one player though.

China:

- Paulinho - everything went better than expected. Bring him back. :D

So in conclussion we should only but from China from now on. ;)

Seriously, we shouldn't make general conclusssions about the leagues we buy players from based on previous transfers. We've made some great, good, bad and very bad transfers in every league from which we brought more than 1 or 2 players over the last decade.

It's easy to say we bought multiple flops in La Liga but that's because we have bought the most players here. It's unfair to only expose our bad transfers while forgetting about great/good ones though. Our success % is still better when buying from La Liga than EPL or Brazil.

I think we should concentrate buying more from Ligue 1 (not from PSG). It's tougher now than 15 years ago with a wealthy PSG on the market and prices have gone up but they still have a lot of talents worth keeping an eye on in other (smaller) clubs. And we should probably avoid buying from EPL mostly because prices are even more inflated there than in other leagues because every EPL club has money.

What we should really do is not look from which club/league we'll buy and calculate our potential success ratio based on the past transfers from the same league but consider every transfer target individually and evaluate what he can bring us, if/how quick he would adapt and what is his personality. I think we clearly lack in this department so I'd get another (possibly younger) two or three "alpha-males" like Vidal or Paulinho even if they don't totally fit every other criteria. That's just my opinion though you probably agree.

Another thing I've already mentioned a few times is we should look more after players with expiring contracts (6 or 18 months) instead of chasing those who still have a 4 or 5 year contract (like Coutinho or Dembele did when we bought them) and negotiating power is all on a selling club. We'll almost always have to overpay just because of our status as one of the richest clubs in the world (in comparision to developing/selling clubs like BVB or Ajax) but it's different if we pay 10-20M more (which is usually normal) than smaller clubs would need to pay for the same player or if we overpay for 40-50M. Now obviously if a player will work out great from a sporting standpoint then a transfer would be considered as a success even if we'd pay 150M (would still be better if we'd only have to pay 100M though). On the other hand if he'll fail even 30-40M (which at the time of the transfer would seem like a normal/good price) will be considered as wasted in a hindsight especially if we can't recuperate much money by selling that player.

Andrew M

It feels like so many clubs need a striker this window. I still think we can cope without buying someone now

khaled_a_d

I always read about the first option clubs have on certain players.
Do we know any cases, not only at Barca, where this clause has been triggered?

IIRC Mariano Díaz to RM second time was that way. He was joining another club -Sevilla but not 100% sure- and RM exercised their option.

Home of Barca Fans