Barca pre-season 2019

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We slowed down a bit after the 4th goal with the subs came on but man I really love how we pressed in this game. As soon as we lost the ball several players came on to harass, good to see.

kattanib

Early to say, but Frenkie looked way better with Roberto and Alena than with Arthur.

Alena and Roberto are moving vertically for forward runs.
Arthur is freezed and stops once when he gets into the opponent's half.
And moves only left, right... and back.

With all due respect to Arthur but he is hugely overrated. He is a master of none .. a decent midfielder without unique qualities that he excels at

JohnN

They played last match without Messi and were shit. Messi is the epitome of midfield combinations if he has a partners to play with.
Sorry to say, you are trying to defend a viewpoint that is wrong.

mc_lovin

Well, my commentator said: Barca played nice today. Like under Rijkaard or Pep. But they often play like this in a preseason. But once when Messi returns, they are less free flowing since all passes go to him.

Without Messi, there is more movement and midfielders are free to pass to anyone.
Add Messi and everything will be slower and more onedimensional.

You see, these theories work in both, or in 10 ways.

Whats your argument here? That we shouldnt use mobile midfielders, because with Messi there wont be movement anyway? If anything the game today showed that we should play with at least 2-3 mobile players (Frenkie, Arthur, Roberto, Alena, Vidal) and "maybe" - for me yes - 1 of Rakitic or Busquets. I take mobility any day over better keypass/goal stats.

BBZ8800

Whats your argument here? That we shouldnt use mobile midfielders, because with Messi there wont be movement anyway? If anything the game today showed that we should play with at least 2-3 mobile players (Frenkie, Arthur, Roberto, Alena, Vidal) and "maybe" - for me yes - 1 of Rakitic or Busquets. I take mobility any day over better keypass/goal stats.

My point:
1. Your post sounded as if we were a free flowing because Raki didn't play
2. I replied: maybe we were free flowing due to Raki and even Messi

We did play a few similar games last year in US without Messi.

I am not saying that we should play without Messi.
But when he is on a field, as if all players lose creativity and bravery and are just passing to him all the time.

And then, you again have way less movement, a free flowing and unpredictable football.
Because our only goal then is=look for Messi whenever we enter into the opponent's half.

That is making us less predictable and forces us to move less in the attacking half, isn't it?
And we look more predictable and static, right?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
My point:

But when he is on a field, as if all players lose creativity and bravery and are just passing to him all the time.

And then, you again have way less movement, a free flowing and unpredictable football.
Because our only goal then is=look for Messi whenever we enter into the opponent's half.

That is making us less predictable and forces us to move less in the attacking half, isn't it?

we played against the same Napoli 3-4 days ago. They looked like they were murdering us in every attack, at least in the first half. Certainly if not for attacking prowess, you can acknowledge that Busi-Rakitic duo is a defensive suicide. Overrun as if they are not there.

kattanib

My point:

It is one of the negatives of having Messi as a starter, but so far the positives outweigh the negatives in Messis case

Horatio

You're welcome
I just hope Frenkie drives Messi to play more attacking.
Otherwise we might suffer from Messi’s slow to fast to slow dictation of the game.

Gnidrologist

I'm more and more inclined to think that BBZ's fanatical rakiapologism is caused by national kinship. No one can be THIS clueless and still double down/invent new stories to support this bs. This match is p. obvious indicator that currently ANYONE is better than Rakitic and possibly Busquets (as sad as it is to admit). Even empty space as if we had a man down is better, because there is no retarded turtle to slow down and kill most movements.

mc_lovin

My point:

Could be. Or we dont look free flowing, because Rakitic and Busquets just dont move well, which sounds more reasonable to me than blaming Messi (who moves fantastic in midfield, but not upfront).

Arthurs positioning for example is questionable (far too defensive, when he has no future as a defensive midfielder), but he makes himself available. Which makes our midfield more fluid in theory - just like last season, when we had our best games with inform Arthur.

JohnN

Suffer from messi's game? With this team and him instead of dembele today, he would have a hatrick and a couple of assists.

eaman

If Messi was on in place of any of that front 3 we would have played even better. Our improvement today was in midfield and nowhere else really. We created very few clear chances in the first half and that would have been different if Messi was on

Horatio

You're welcome
Suffer from messi's game? With this team and him instead of dembele today, he would have a hatrick and a couple of assists.

He might score a hattrick but will disrupt the fluidity of overall play depending on wether he will roam in middle or stay up front.

Home of Barca Fans