Ianis Hagi

xXKonan

So if what above is correct he doesn't have flexibility nor the talent for us I guess.

I based all my stuff from what I've watched in U-21 Euros. Yeah, I can't see him working out here then. Our luck with trying to convert #10s into proper Midfielders hasn't worked out at all.

Messi983

Doubtful that he'll be able to make it to Dortmunds level. He might become decent for Ajax. Zyech current level at best though which is not enough for us today and won't ever be.

Do you even know anything about his current level or how he plays besides a bunch of under 21 matches?

Lmao at 80m.

I don't know how he played for his club or if he would adapt to Barça. I agree he's not good enough now but how can you say he'll never be? He's only 20 and could improve a lot so in todays market I think 10M is not too much and worth a risk. I'm a bit surprised that people here who are usually all over us signing every 20 yo talent out there are so against him. I was (half)joking about 80m but it wouldn't be the first time that we wouldn't sign a player for cheap only to chase him a few years later when his price is 5-10 times higher.

Anyway, I've said in the past we should consider buying and loaning players at their early twenties directly to La Liga (or maybe BL/Eredivisie/Ligue 1) teams as another way to improve talent level under club control. We usually have 3 ways to bring talent to the team:

1.) buying directly for the first team whether established stars (Coutinho, Griezmann), worldclass talents (Dembele) or bench players. Some of them will work out others won't but that's not a point here. We'll continue to buy the first ones "because we can" eventhough they are more expensive every day and often not the most smart buys. We'll buy another Dembele or FDJ for high prices as well. But nowadays even bench players are worth 20-30M+ so we should look for other/cheaper options here.

2.) promoting players to the first team; we are lacking "the end product" here but we'll continue to add fresh talents from smaller local teams to different youth teams and see how they'll develop. And we'll also continue to look for "13 yo next Messis" worldwide.

3.) buying players for Barça B with a hope for the first team future. We've bought some players who were successfull in Barça B but none of them has reallly made it in the first team. Denis was given the most first team minutes from this group of players and we sold him quite well given the circumstances. We've also sold the likes of Marlon and Arnaiz for a small profit. Wague could be the next one to get first team minutes (though I could see him going on loan next year) and maybe Reis as well.

While I understand club's decision to bring players and let them adapt to our system (in the first or B team) I still think sometimes we should do different and we've missed out on some talents over the years by not using buy+loan more often.

Now our options are usually just to bringing a 20-something player to the first team and if he doesn't make immediate impact (mostly with limited chances) we give up on him after a year or two and sell/loan him for a loss. Some players need longer to develop and they especially need more playing time than they usually get.

Or second, we bring players to Barça B where they play on much lower level. I think it's ok if we're talking about 17-19 yo players but when around 21 those players (including our own La Masia graduates) should play regular top division football if we want them to have a first team future.

For example two years ago I wanted us to buy Fabian Ruiz when his clause was only 15M. Serra Ferrer (ex Betis SD) has admitted recently that Barça (I think it was Robert Fernandez) offered 1M for him when he was still in Betis B so it was clear we were following him before his breakthrough. But then after he made his name in La Liga and was still available for 15M I think we should've taken a risk, sign and let him on loan at Betis or another team for a year or two if we felt we didn't have a spot for him in the first team (he was too good for playing in Barça B by then). We don't know if he would accept that but we could at least try.

Another example is Dembele. We wanted him before he went to Dortmund. Why not buy him for 15M and loan him? Obviously we didn't knew that Neymar would leave a year later but he could still be worth a risk if our scouts and SD were convinced he could be the next big thing (which they were clearly thinking when we spend 100M+ on him). Again, we don't know if he would accept a loan but Barça is his favourite team so maybe we would convinced him.

I don't want us to turn into Chelsea or Porto/Benfica who probably have more players out on loans than in their first teams but I think we can afford to invest 10-15M every season in a "future player" who would go on loan to a team where he would play a lot. We would eventually get that money back with re-selling but if some of those players would actually stay here longterm it would be well worth it. Look for positions where we have older starters (which there are still many) like CB, LB, DM/CM (depending on where we see longterm future of FDJ) and forward. Or just look for the best possible talent available in that price range for whatever reason (young players with 12 or less months of contract are other group we should be targetting more as well) because you never know what can happen as we've seen with Neymar in 2017.

I know people don't have good opinion about loans (including those players sold with buy-back option which is basically a new loan idea for bigger clubs nowadays) because usually they don't work well for us though Denis did very good at Villarreal and Munir also both with Valencia and Alaves. But for those who failed there was usually a reason:

1.) they were not good enough and/or injury prone (like Samper)

2.) we usually loaned those players very late in transfer window just to get rid off them and they were a 5th or 6th option of their new clubs/coaches because those clubs couldn't sign their primary targets

If we would buy Hagi now with an intention to loan him immediately (and he would obviously need to agree with this plan) to Valladolid for example he would probably be their first or second option this early in the transfer window so a player they really wanted and he would get minutes. Then it would be up to him to prove his worth and earn coaches trust.

Again, I don't know if Hagi will ever be good enough to be at least a squad player for us but I would still take a risk. In 2-3 year he'll still be young and interesting for other teams so we could recuperate money invested in him if not sell him for profit. Even if we wouldn't get back 10M we could sell him to a known developing/selling club and include % of future sale (so maybe after few years we would get that money back) or we could use him as a trade chip to lower the price of a player we'll want at that time.

I'm not saying we should definitely buy Hagi but I'm all for looking at players like him coming from lower rated leagues but who have proved they can compete against players playing regularly in good clubs in some of European top 5 leagues. He could be our new Halilović but maybe it will also work out well. We've made a lot of worse decisions than investing 10M (which is basically the same as 5M before 2017) in Hagi would be so even if he'll totally fail Barça will survive.

Porque

I don't know how he played for his club or if he would adapt to Barça. I agree he's not good enough now but how can you say he'll never be? He's only 20 and could improve a lot so in todays market I think 10M is not too much and worth a risk. I'm a bit surprised that people here who are usually all over us signing every 20 yo talent out there are so against him. I was (half)joking about 80m but it wouldn't be the first time that we wouldn't sign a player for cheap only to chase him a few years later when his price is 5-10 times higher.

Anyway, I've said in the past we should consider buying and loaning players at their early twenties directly to La Liga (or maybe BL/Eredivisie/Ligue 1) teams as another way to improve talent level under club control. We usually have 3 ways to bring talent to the team:

1.) buying directly for the first team whether established stars (Coutinho, Griezmann), worldclass talents (Dembele) or bench players. Some of them will work out others won't but that's not a point here. We'll continue to buy the first ones "because we can" eventhough they are more expensive every day and often not the most smart buys. We'll buy another Dembele or FDJ for high prices as well. But nowadays even bench players are worth 20-30M+ so we should look for other/cheaper options here.

2.) promoting players to the first team; we are lacking "the end product" here but we'll continue to add fresh talents from smaller local teams to different youth teams and see how they'll develop. And we'll also continue to look for "13 yo next Messis" worldwide.

3.) buying players for Barça B with a hope for the first team future. We've bought some players who were successfull in Barça B but none of them has reallly made it in the first team. Denis was given the most first team minutes from this group of players and we sold him quite well given the circumstances. We've also sold the likes of Marlon and Arnaiz for a small profit. Wague could be the next one to get first team minutes (though I could see him going on loan next year) and maybe Reis as well.

While I understand club's decision to bring players and let them adapt to our system (in the first or B team) I still think sometimes we should do different and we've missed out on some talents over the years by not using buy+loan more often.

Now our options are usually just to bringing a 20-something player to the first team and if he doesn't make immediate impact (mostly with limited chances) we give up on him after a year or two and sell/loan him for a loss. Some players need longer to develop and they especially need more playing time than they usually get.

Or second, we bring players to Barça B where they play on much lower level. I think it's ok if we're talking about 17-19 yo players but when around 21 those players (including our own La Masia graduates) should play regular top division football if we want them to have a first team future.

For example two years ago I wanted us to buy Fabian Ruiz when his clause was only 15M. Serra Ferrer (ex Betis SD) has admitted recently that Barça (I think it was Robert Fernandez) offered 1M for him when he was still in Betis B so it was clear we were following him before his breakthrough. But then after he made his name in La Liga and was still available for 15M I think we should've taken a risk, sign and let him on loan at Betis or another team for a year or two if we felt we didn't have a spot for him in the first team (he was too good for playing in Barça B by then). We don't know if he would accept that but we could at least try.

Another example is Dembele. We wanted him before he went to Dortmund. Why not buy him for 15M and loan him? Obviously we didn't knew that Neymar would leave a year later but he could still be worth a risk if our scouts and SD were convinced he could be the next big thing (which they were clearly thinking when we spend 100M+ on him). Again, we don't know if he would accept a loan but Barça is his favourite team so maybe we would convinced him.

I don't want us to turn into Chelsea or Porto/Benfica who probably have more players out on loans than in their first teams but I think we can afford to invest 10-15M every season in a "future player" who would go on loan to a team where he would play a lot. We would eventually get that money back with re-selling but if some of those players would actually stay here longterm it would be well worth it. Look for positions where we have older starters (which there are still many) like CB, LB, DM/CM (depending on where we see longterm future of FDJ) and forward. Or just look for the best possible talent available in that price range for whatever reason (young players with 12 or less months of contract are other group we should be targetting more as well) because you never know what can happen as we've seen with Neymar in 2017.

I know people don't have good opinion about loans (including those players sold with buy-back option which is basically a new loan idea for bigger clubs nowadays) because usually they don't work well for us though Denis did very good at Villarreal and Munir also both with Valencia and Alaves. But for those who failed there was usually a reason:

2.) we usually loaned those players very late in transfer window just to get rid off them and they were a 5th or 6th option of their new clubs/coaches because those clubs couldn't sign their primary targets

If we would buy Hagi now with an intention to loan him immediately (and he would obviously need to agree with this plan) to Valladolid for example he would probably be their first or second option this early in the transfer window so a player they really wanted and he would get minutes. Then it would be up to him to prove his worth and earn coaches trust.

Again, I don't know if Hagi will ever be good enough to be at least a squad player for us but I would still take a risk. In 2-3 year he'll still be young and interesting for other teams so we could recuperate money invested in him if not sell him for profit. Even if we wouldn't get back 10M we could sell him to a known developing/selling club and include % of future sale (so maybe after few years we would get that money back) or we could use him as a trade chip to lower the price of a player we'll want at that time.

I'm not saying we should definitely buy Hagi but I'm all for looking at players like him coming from lower rated leagues but who have proved they can compete against players playing regularly in good clubs in some of European top 5 leagues. He could be our new Halilović but maybe it will also work out well. We've made a lot of worse decisions than investing 10M (which is basically the same as 5M before 2017) in Hagi would be so even if he'll totally fail Barça will survive.

This is the best thought process for us to take, or rather, the one that I am most aligned with. Sign the best low hanging fruits who are prospects with a small fee, and don't go looking for the exotic option nobody has heard of.

Hagi may never be good enough, but he has some good traits that at sub 15m are worth looking at. We are in a market where Brazilians with half a season of football (Rodrygo, Vinicius) go for 40m+ and where a Portuguese player (Joao Felix) can jump from 1.5m (according to his offered fee to Sevilla last year) to 120m with a change of manager and an amazing second half of season.

That means, no more Vitinho's but more Todibo's and Reis' who are showing a good level at a young age in the first teams of the top divisions of their leagues. Hagi and hopefully Diego Palacios.

Then get them before the tier-II reselling clubs come in like Roma, Dortmund and loan them to the tier-III clubs who wouldn't be able to attract these players without a loan from Barcelona attached (Real Betis, St Ettiene, Everton).

Last edited:

Sorin

This post of yours is way more nuanced and easy to agree with than what you said earlier:

Can't wait for Dortmund or Ajax to buy him and then people wanting us to pay 80M in a few years and blame our stupid board for not buying him when he was cheap.:lol:

I still think he's not worth the 10m we'd have to pay for him even if you scoff at the value of 10m these days. I would rather put those millions towards a player that might have a future with us or towards the fee/wages of a ready made player. For example I would invest the money in that Celtic Dembele kid, which imo, is by far a better talent than him. Ianis Hagi doesn't have a future with us, that I am certain off. It's also not good for him to come to us only to be loaned out to some other team or teams for a few years in the hopes he'll bring us a profit. Teams that loan players might not be that invested in him and if he has a bad spell of form he'll surelly get replaced pretty fast with another player, maybe home grown. Furthermore, the coaches that manage those teams might not play to his strenghts so his development might even stall.

I am not talking only from our(Barca) perspective here, even if I care a lot more about our future than what might happen to Ianis Hagi. I am also talking from his persepctive or the perspective of a Romanian that wants the best for the national team. He is better off going to a team that will have a direct interest in developing him to the best of their abilities and not only as a second hand player that could end at the end of the queue when it comes to priorities. Ajax is the best platform for him going forward imo.

Anyway, I agree, signing him for the reported 10m won't be the end of the world and I would lying if there isn't a part of me that really wants Barca to buy him, but unfortunatley, besides a small profit 2 or 3 years from now, I believe there is not one upside for us or him in this move.

eaman

If he'll only cost ten million why not risk it. He looked good in a defensive team with lesser players around him than there are at Barca. He would only improve training with our players

Ajax

Ajax was about to sign him for 2m just before that youth tournament. One good tourney and he costs 10m..

Just snap him up and loan him out to 5 different clubs. Maybe he does an Ødegaard and play well for 6 months during 3y of being loaned out. Then renew his contract and keep loaning him out without having a chance for first team football

Ajax

Seems like he and his dad are in Belgium right now finalizing his move to Genk.

assuming all rumors are true this is a very smart transfer. He wouldn't play at Ajax, at least not right away. He would never play for Dortmund or barca. Cant imagine anybody going to Spartak Moskou apart from the paycheck

smart and respectable move from this kid

FC B

assuming all rumors are true this is a very smart transfer. He wouldn't play at Ajax, at least not right away. He would never play for Dortmund or barca. Cant imagine anybody going to Spartak Moskou apart from the paycheck

smart and respectable move from this kid

From his antourage, his father Gheorghe Hagi, Gheorghe Popescu and George Ogararu.

Andresito

Staff member
Signed for Genk.

D_SDRRcWsAAyjXj

Sorin

Now that's a wise decision from him and his father. That's his level at this point and it's a club/league where he can progress much better than being a second hand loanee from us. They are going to prioritize his development whereas if he was loaned from another team(us) Genk wouldn't have put as much effort if he'd struggle.

Home of Barca Fans