Women's World Cup 2019

BerkeleyBernie

Nothing on this yet? Any good teams/games worth watching so far? Most of the highlights I've watched have been pretty dismal stuff.

Givenchy

its a minefield to discuss with the amount of political correctness around it but i watched a few matches and its dire stuff. they put it on BBC1 in the UK to hype it up but the womens game just isn't ready. you had USA i think it was, winning 13-0 vs some team. the amount of white knighting from the male commentators is cringeworthy also.

you do get a few good players but it feels like alot of the players/teams are just making up the numbers

Blaugranaa

Denmark reached the EC final in 2017 and that's the only women's game I've ever seen. When you are used Barca/Real/PrL/CL it's just too huge a gap in quality.

Kohe321

I've been watching it the past couple of days, and the contrast when switching over to Copa America is like going from a streched out VHS-tape to 4k HDR.

Yeah, it's beyond abysmal. Remember that the australian NT (ranked 5th in the world at the time) lost to a u15 boys team in 2016. :lol:

Female soccer can be summed up like this: It seems to boil down to which side can get the most out of the ensuing chaos. They clumsily collide and run into eachother all the time resulting in endless FKs (that take forever to set up by the way, as they keep discussing and planning what to do instead of just getting on with it), and the ball changes team every 1 or 2 passes. We had some fun with it during the France - Brazil game and counted how many passes in a row they managed to complete without losing possession, and hitting 3 is very rare. Anything beyond that is almost unheard of. It's also painfully slow, which is an inherent problem with them being women and the field being as large as it is.

It's OK to have on in the background and look over for a laugh every now and then. But I can't imagine anyone actually finding it interesting, let alone fun to watch. For that I guess you'll have to be a family member of one of the players or something.

Last edited:

eaman

I've been watching it the past couple of days, and the contrast when switching over to Copa America is like going from a streched out VHS-tape to 4k HDR.

Yeah, it's beyond abysmal. Remember that the australian NT (ranked 5th in the world at the time) lost to a u15 boys team in 2016. :lol:

Female soccer can be summed up like this: It seems to boil down to which side can get the most out of the ensuing chaos. They clumsily collide and run into eachother all the time resulting in endless FKs (that take forever to set up by the way, as they keep discussing and planning what to do instead of just getting on with it), and the ball changes team every 1 or 2 passes. We had some fun with it during the France - Brazil game and counted how many passes in a row they managed to complete without losing possession, and hitting 3 is very rare. Anything beyond that is almost unheard of. It's also painfully slow, which is an inherent problem with them being women and the field being as large as it is.

It's OK to have on in the background and look over for a laugh every now and then. But I can't imagine anyone actually finding it interesting, let alone fun to watch. For that I guess you'll have to be a family member of one of the players or something.

I have to disagree with you. I remember watching a women's match over a decade ago and it was most of the things you described but I have seen a few matches in this world cup and the quality has improved alot. Obviously down to alot of them being professional now. The speed of the game is also played at a decent enough one. All the things I have talked about are coming from the USA team mostly. They seem to have more ability on the ball than any of the other teams

EdmondDantes

There's no denying there's a huge discrepancy in quality, talent and ability but there's also no denying the women's game has come a long way in the last decade.

I don't watch women's football that closely but the World Cup is fun to tune in, especially the play-offs.

LMTR14

Yikes the football quality has a long way to go

believe it or not, it has already gone up a lot in the last 10 years! esp. the goalkeepers are much much better now. the number of women in the world who play football is maybe 1/100 of the number of men or even less, so obviously the level of play isn't the same.

what kills this wc is the incessant var overuse (5 min per decision is standard, no matter how easy the call was) + the absurdity (!) of the new handball rule. idk how many penalties there were because of that but it certainly must be a record. most playoff games I watched were pretty boring cause not much happened after one side took the lead (I unfortunately didn't see the england - cameroon game, that must have been a riot (PUN) - fun fact: it's actively being censored on youtube now! pc now even censors football!).

PS: contrary to what Kohe321 thinks, there are very few fouls and therefore free kicks. though that factor also has improved a lot in the last 10 years, there used to be virtually no fouls at all back in the day! in fact most of what you say is outdated. one thing women's football doesn't have though is superstars. there certainly isn't any messina or ronalda and that is a huge drawback. German player Birgit Prinz had the opportunity to play for Perugia in 2003 (on the men's team) but declined, which I still see as one of the stupidest decisions any human has ever made. even if she had only played a few times in serie A, it would have been so utterly groundbreaking! (same as lindsey vonn who blew the chance to race downhill against men!)

PPS: people who bet on sports can find anything interesting. or do you think it's FUN to watch fucking horsies run around in a circle!?!

Last edited:

Kohe321

Watching Norway - England now.

It's so bad. This is a quarter final in a World Cup, and it looks like a pickup game between some old boys at a retirement home.

Meanwhile, a female NPC in the studio just compared one of the english players to Messi.

:lol:

Last edited:

Zidane82

Well after all the hype I’ve heard about women’s football ... have to say I’m kinda disappointed - overall.
Extremely refreshing to see fair play , no professional fouls , no diving and complete respect shown to the officials .

I’ve also seen some lovely touches and great build up play ( mainly by England’s players ) but as regards technique and the speed of play it just reminds me of that televised Charity game a few weeks ago .

I’ll watch the semi and the final if we get through but that will be it

Zidane82

It's so bad. This is a quarter final in a World Cup, and it looks like a pickup game between some old boys at a retirement home.

Meanwhile, a female NPC in the studio just compared one of the english players to Messi.

Have a listen to Alex Scott after the game .. she’s absolutely hilarious

LMTR14

after Megan Rapinoe's disgusting behaviour I will vote with my wallet and not watch a women's game in a long time... (if you didn't catch this read it up, it's hilarious how deluded she is)

Hamzah

High Definition Member

Obviously it’s not as good as the men’s game but I still found it enjoyable to watch. The lack of quality makes it more unpredictable.

Home of Barca Fans