Diego Palacios

xXKonan

Wonder what's going on with this one.

Haven't heard any news about him in quite a while now. If I have to guess, we are waiting to solve Miranda's future as I don't think he will be playing with the B team anymore.

Messi983

I was thinking about his situation as well.

You could be right and we are waiting to see what will happen with Miranda but it's quite possible that the club has changed their plans. If we wanted to sign Filipe Luis as a short-term solution then bringing a youngster like Palacios to Barça B would make a lot of sense. If we have now decided to go after Firpo instead then buying another young LB isn't as necessarry. I would still like to get him though but as I've said before it would be better to loan him to La Liga team or maybe we could use our new collaboration with Utrecht and leave him for another season in Eredivisie.

In ideal world Firpo (if we'll buy him) should become a starter by 2021 at the latest and we could sell Alba (for whatever we can get at that point; I think he'll fall off the cliff once he lose his speed and if we'll bring back Neymar and his ball-hogging it will also effect his game negatively) and bring back Palacios or possibly Miranda from their loans (depending on how they'll develop) as backups/competition for Firpo. What's more likely though is that he would go Digne route, become unhappy with playing time and we'll sell him so it would again be good to have some possible replacements under club control.

I still think we could buy Palacios but he probably won't play for Barça B next season (eventhough we currently only have Vilarasa as a LB assuming Miranda is leaving) because we don't have available non-EU spot for him. We have Gabriel Novaes and recently signed Hiroki Abe and I've read today we are also close to sign another Brazilian midfielder/winger Tailson.

Another thing: it was mentioned weeks ago that our main competitors for Palacios were Ajax, PSV and Lyon. PSV have just signed France U21 LB Olivier Boscagli and they also got Toni Lato on loan from Valencia so it would be strange if they would still go after Palacios. And Lyon bought Youssouf Kone from Lille as Ferland Mendy's replacement. With Tagliafico staying at Ajax Palacios wouldn't be a starter there either but they could still buy and loan him and then bring him back once Tagliafico is sold. And obviously a lot of other clubs could be interested as well but I haven't heard any rumours about Palacios since Ferran Martinez said he's a done deal for us almost a month ago.

xXKonan

Something like you said had to change behind the scenes.

Would have made sense to get Luis, and have Palacios playing for the B team and showing if he really has the ability to be Alba's backup. But it appears the club ended up discarding Luis, probably due to his age and are going for Firpo instead leaving this one in Limbo.

I think any chance we get him now, he will probably be sent out on loan as we have zero Open Non-EU spots in both the first and B team.

Porque

I'm hoping we still get him and loan him. Having Semedo and Roberto didn't stop us from signing a million right backs in Wague and Emerson.

Messi983

[tw]1157389623489978368[/tw]

Sport is reporting we had an agreement for a 2-year loan (probably with a buy option) and we're now looking for alternatives for LB position because Miranda will leave the club.

According to Ferran Martinez Palacios was supposed to arrive to Barcelona yesterday to sign the contract but Aucas president has demanded to re-negotiate after they got a better offer for him.

Messi983

I will be disappointed if we won't sign Palacios but if we'll really get Firpo for the first team then it will be easier to move on as Palacios probably wouldn't have a longterm first team future at the club anyway though we'll eventually need a replacement for Alba too in a few years. There are not many quality fulllbacks in todays world and those are usually already at big clubs and expensive so looking for cheaper options, doubling/tripling down on that position with younger talents (Firpo, Palacios, Miranda) and see who will make it would make sense. We did something similar on the other side and bought Wague and Emerson eventhough we already have Semedo and Roberto who are both younger than Alba.

I'm also feeling for Palacios if appendictis (if reports from a few days ago were true he would have already signed for us weeks ago before Aucas apparently got this better offer) will prevent him to sign for us because it really seemed he wanted to come here and play for Barça B instead of PSV, Lyon or Ajax (don't know what plans those clubs had for him though).

Also, just a thought but wouldn't it be funny if Betis is the club who made a better offer to Aucas because we want to sign Firpo. This is very unlikely though because they've already got Pedraza on loan and are now looking for a more defensive LB if they sell Firpo.

xXKonan

I'm curious about how much that other team offered for him.

Very rarely you will see us splash a decent amount of money on a B team signing unless we feel it's really worth it. All about being shrewd if you ask me.

Palacios though could very well be worth it in the investing a decent amount of money in terms of B team signings. But if the offer is a bit more than 12 I think we won't match it, I'm thinking the club believes we could get him for Wague money 5-6 Million euros.

Porque

I'm curious about how much that other team offered for him.

Very rarely you will see us splash a decent amount of money on a B team signing unless we feel it's really worth it. All about being shrewd if you ask me.

Palacios though could very well be worth it in the investing a decent amount of money in terms of B team signings. But if the offer is a bit more than 12 I think we won't match it, I'm thinking the club believes we could get him for Wague money 5-6 Million euros.

Makes you wonder why we didn't tie this up with his club after both what happened with Kubo, and the success of the Wague move.

I genuinely believe this player has LaLiga first team potential so even if he doesn't make it at Barcelona, we would be able to find a profitable exit in the future.

Messi983

I think we can still get him if he wants to come. Really depends on what other club is interested and what plans they have for him.

Or could be there is no other offer and Aucas's president had too much time to re-think and wants more money after we couldn't finalise the deal when first agreed the terms with them because Palacios couldn't travel/make his medical.

xXKonan

On loan for two seasons with an option to buy, I believe. Good deal, never seen him.
He'll be like another Wague and show that he's too good for the B team and we will end up buying him.

But not sure what we will do with him after that if that scenario does happen. Considering we just bought Firpo for the first team and if he shows he's the real deal as well there won't be room for Palacios at the moment.

Guess he would probably go out on loan or be sold with a buyback.

Home of Barca Fans