Junior Firpo

FC433

20m + Miranda (with a buyback option) + Rafinha for Firpo.

VFC managed to get Gomez for 14.5m + Mina + Sáenz (on loan for two seasons)

Leo_Messi

Firpo is a "crack" offensively but more of a wing-back than an actual left back in a 4-3-3. In many ways echoing Alba's early career.

However Alba is 30 years old and mostly remains in his prime. Not sure if Firpo is willing to warm the bench for an extended period of time as I don't see Alba losing his place the next season or the season after.

I would sign Filipe Luís on a free and give him a 1 year contract. He would be a reliable and perfect substitute for Alba and play whenever Alba would need a break or whenever injured. However we have apparently discarded him.

Then look towards signing a long-term Alba replacement in the summer of 2020.

We have other positions to strengthen first but I would not be against Firpo arriving provided that he will receive the needed playing time which I doubt would occur with Valverde around.

If a player of Firpo's talent (offensively in particular) and age is bought he better play regularly. Anything else would make no sense and would hinder his development.

When you think about it, Alba is quite limited offensively. He has the same few tricks in his locker but they work damn well most of the time despite him looking for Messi 90% of the time. A type like Firpo could be useful for adding another dimension to the team.

In any case, sad to say it, but like with any other world class signing (FDJ and Griezmann) it is foolish to expect too much with Malmierda around. He has an incredible ability to devaluate talented youngsters as seen in the past 2 years.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
Doesn't feel like the real deal.

But I guess we'll be able to sell recoup most of the money if we buy him for max 30M.

Messi983

How good is he defensively ?

He was heavily injured last 2 seasons, does he have any long term issues?

He's solid defensively but much better offensively at this point. As Leo_Messi said he was mostly used as a wingback in Setien's 3-5-2 where he had more cover at the back and could concentrate more on attacking (especially with Betis's right side being sterile most of the times without a good RB) so he would have to adapt to 4-3-3 though he's done good for Spain U21.

Injuries are concerning for me. He has missed almost 30 games in last two seasons due to muscle injuries so this shouldn't be taken lightly. There is no mentions on him having injury problems before that on TM but he was playing for Betis U19 and Betis B in Segunda B (where he has played some games as a CB so if we buy him he could possibly be an emergency 4th or 5th CB) so maybe they don't have all informations.

According to Muchodeporte (IIRC they are not a very reliable source) we have increased our offer from 20M+Miranda to 25M and Miranda but they want at least 30M. If true we could actually be close. I've also read rumours we might include Cucurella in a deal after we'll buy him back from Eibar for 4M.

Anyway, after securing Griezmann I believe LB is our priority so wouldn't be surprised if we would sign someone this week before going to Asia.

Leo_Messi

How good is he defensively ?

He was heavily injured last 2 seasons, does he have any long term issues?

He is quite decent but defending is not his main strength. His pace is helping him greatly in this regard much like Alba. He is rather strong (1.84 cm) for a left/wing back as well. What truly sets him apart is his offensive abilities. He easily beats his opponents on the dribble or due to his pace. Great delivery too. Could even see him play as a CB whenever needed due to his physical presence, pace, passing ability, great technique etc.

As Messi983 mentioned, injuries are probably the only worry.

Anyway I am a fan of his and think that he is the real deal. Just needs the right environment and sufficient playing time (here comes the problem with Alba around) for him to reach that extra level or two which I believe he is well capable of. If I had to make a guess, he will be our starting left back during the World Cup in Qatar as well.

For instance I would take Firpo every day of the week over Mendy.

Last edited:

Messi983

As is reporting Alfonso Pedraza (Villarreal) is going to Betis on loan with a buy option. He'll travel to Sevilla tomorrow. I have suggested him some time ago as a possible Alba backup though I don't think he has potential to be his longterm replacement like Firpo.

They were rumoured to be close to Alex Moreno as well but it's possible Rayo has demanded too much and they've moved on (they are similar players so I think that's the case). But if they'll get both Moreno and Pedraza then it's clear Firpo is on his way out. On the other hand they probably wouldn't accept Miranda as part of the deal if they'll already have 2 LBs so we'd have to offer more money or another player.

xXKonan

According to Miguel Rico, he's our number 1 choice to backup Alba and Betis is apparently good with the idea of adding Miranda in the deal.

But he also mentions we don't want to fully lose Miranda and he also has a number of other suitors as well.

Devils

[tw]1151101598111866880[/tw]

UnfinishedSarcasticAstarte-size_restricted.gif

We move.

Midget Alba's days are numbered, dawg.

abbbs97

Some sources are saying that we're negotiating with Betis 30-35m + Miranda for Firpo. It would be a very good deal if this were to happen.
Alba is probably shaking right now thinking about a player who will truly compete for his spot lol.

Donatello

Some sources are saying that we're negotiating with Betis 30-35m + Miranda for Firpo. It would be a very good deal if this were to happen.
Alba is probably shaking right now thinking about a player who will truly compete for his spot lol.

Lol, won't matter. Watch him benched by Valverde only to be used in CDR matches.

Home of Barca Fans