Junior Firpo

JamDav1982

For Barca Alaba is more or less there on a plate to replace Alba at LB..... but the seniors in the squad wont let that happen as Alba has the right mates and part of the old clique.

Grimaldo is not good enough to be anything but a back up and too expensive for that.

xXKonan

People should really look at Benfica fan impressions of Grimaldo and instead of relying on cherry-picked moments in montages by Barca fans.

I've seen a lot of criticism by Benfica fans saying he still hasn't improved in a certain number aspects such as his defense and even his attacking prowess has been criticized a lot this season and you have had some saying Nuno Tavares is more impressive than Grimaldo is despite being 5 years younger.

Not to say he isn't a good player, but I feel like he's been massively overrated since he left here by Barca fans.

LABarcaFan

It seems like Barcelona and Juve want Alex Telles. 45 million on transfermarkt , next year his contract is over.

Is there any thread about him?
Alex Telles (27) and Alex Grimaldo (24) have the same price tag as per Transfermarkt, which is 40 M Euro. But Telles is 3 years older.

That was the opinion of the majority of Barca fans, not only at this forum. ter Stegen, Messi, Alba and Piqu? had great seasons, despite your personal vendetta against them.

Look dawg. Having good offensive wing backs is essential in an offensive tactic to provide width and a numerical advantage outside the opposition's box. The recent winners of Champions League always had the best LB/RB pairings. Robertson/TAA, Marcelo/Carvajal before that, and in 2015 Alba/Alves.
Can't say any of these did what you're asking for from left- and right backs.
As long as one of them keeps an eye out for counter attacks, the other wing can push up as much as he wants to.

That's the modern football. It's very common that experts say that the role of the full back has changed completely. It can't be compared to the 70's lol.

About Ter Stegen and Messi, yes, they were and they still are our best players. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Pique and Alba. Both of them were struggling all season long. I respect your opinion and I won't continue this argument. Just want to suggest you to open the threads of both of them, from 2017 and see what Barcelona fans say.
" As long as one of them keeps an eye for a counter-attacks ... " Now, here is the difference of the understanding of the basic functions of the side backs. We have seen Semedo and S.Roberto also in attacking mode during the games, but both of them quickly returns to their main zones. Jordi feels like a VIP in this team, because he is backed by his La Masia amigos and does not return to cover his area. At least, not quick enough and that creates havoc in our defense. I understand very well the modern aspects of the football, but don't think a left back ( or right ) should play consistently as a left attacking midfielder or left winger. If that is what you call " the change of the full back position" then why the teams will need midfielder and winger in that side.

I am former professional player. I can accept from time to time Jordi bringing up the ball from the left side, passing it to Iniesta, Coutinho, Neymar or Griezmann and let them finish. In his case, he goes all the way to the corner flag or even the opponents box to pass the ball to his amigos Leo or Luis and then just stay there to be the first one who will congratulate them, if they had scored. But, most of the time the opponents got the ball from Messi or Suarez, because they don't play any defense at all and start a counter-attack from the left flank. Watch videos of old games and you will see what I am talking about. Barcelona front players are well known for not playing defense. And when our side backs join that group the team becomes very vulnerable.

Nah I'm not that good either.
Look at City. Pep's in charge playing a Barca-based football and in desperate need of a LB who knows what he's doing. What better signing than a player who's been formed at La Masia like Grimaldo?
If he'd been good enough he'd already be at City. They've been desperate for a LB for years but still haven't signed the player who according to you is good enough to replace Alba at Barca.

He's a backup at best.

Pep has one of the best left back in the World in Benjamin Mendy and his back-up Zinchenko. Yes, Mendy had suffered a injury which kept him out of the game for quiet some time, but with this COVID-19 situation, he will have more time to recover and come back stronger as ever. Trust me, if there was any doubt in Pep's mind that the French international won't be able to play at 100%, he would have signed anyone he want, except Andy Robertson.
As of Grimaldo, lets not forget that he was Spain U21 national and many European top clubs will be looking for his service this summer. Suggest you to watch several FULL games of Benfica to have an idea of his playing style. I will add something very important. Alex is just 24 y.o. and is already established himself as a very solid defender. And his price tag is relatively low - 40 M. Comparing to B.Mendy ( 62 M ) and David Alaba ( 65 M ).

For Barca Alaba is more or less there on a plate to replace Alba at LB..... but the seniors in the squad wont let that happen as Alba has the right mates and part of the old clique.

Grimaldo is not good enough to be anything but a back up and too expensive for that.

You are right about the senior clique. They wont let anyone to replace Jordi. Grimaldo you think is just good enough as a back-up LB? Dude, if we pay 65 million Euro for David Alaba, how can we address our needs at the other positions like center back ( at least one ) defensive midfielder, left winger and central forward ? The likes of Neymar, Lautaro and Upamecano cost a lots of money, you know! And we have to keep Messi and Ter Stegen with new and improved contracts.

People should really look at Benfica fan impressions of Grimaldo and instead of relying on cherry-picked moments in montages by Barca fans.

I've seen a lot of criticism by Benfica fans saying he still hasn't improved in a certain number aspects such as his defense and even his attacking prowess has been criticized a lot this season and you have had some saying Nuno Tavares is more impressive than Grimaldo is despite being 5 years younger.

Not to say he isn't a good player, but I feel like he's been massively overrated since he left here by Barca fans.

Same as "andersito" I can suggest you to watch 2-3 full games of Benfica to see that all you have written about him is just a BS.

JamDav1982

Alex Telles (27) and Alex Grimaldo (24) have the same price tag as per Transfermarkt, which is 40 M Euro. But Telles is 3 years older.

Pep has one of the best left back in the World in Benjamin Mendy and his back-up Zinchenko. Yes, Mendy had suffered a injury which kept him out of the game for quiet some time, but with this COVID-19 situation, he will have more time to recover and come back stronger as ever. Trust me, if there was any doubt in Pep's mind that the French international won't be able to play at 100%, he would have signed anyone he want, except Andy Robertson.
As of Grimaldo, lets not forget that he was Spain U21 national and many European top clubs will be looking for his service this summer. Suggest you to watch several FULL games of Benfica to have an idea of his playing style. I will add something very important. Alex is just 24 y.o. and is already established himself as a very solid defender. And his price tag is relatively low - 40 M. Comparing to B.Mendy ( 62 M ) and David Alaba ( 65 M ).

You are right about the senior clique. They wont let anyone to replace Jordi. Grimaldo you think is just good enough as a back-up LB? Dude, if we pay 65 million Euro for David Alaba, how can we address our needs at the other positions like center back ( at least one ) defensive midfielder, left winger and central forward ? The likes of Neymar, Lautaro and Upamecano cost a lots of money, you know! And we have to keep Messi and Ter Stegen with new and improved contracts.

Same as "andersito" I can suggest you to watch 2-3 full games of Benfica to see that all you have written about him is just a BS.

Grimaldo has been available for 40m and less for years and most top teams have needed a LB in that time and not touched him.

He is good going forward but stats are inflated on set pieces etc.

His height and not being great defensively are weaknesses.

Most likely be another summer that no top team pay what is needed for Grimaldo as he isnt good enough.

LABarcaFan

Grimaldo has been available for 40m and less for years and most top teams have needed a LB in that time and not touched him.

He is good going forward but stats are inflated on set pieces etc.

His height and not being great defensively are weaknesses.

Most likely be another summer that no top team pay what is needed for Grimaldo as he isnt good enough.

OK. I can see that some of you don't like Grimaldo. You guys don't like Lucas Digne as well. So who can we get? Maybe Telles?

Look. If our roster was all set and we needed only a left back, it wouldn't be any problem to pay 65 M and get David Alaba. But we have so many other problems in the roster to address. It looks like our board has already decided to bring back Neymar and his price tag at the moment is 175 million. PSG is not willing to take any Barcelona player in the Ney's deal. They need the full amount in CASH. I am 100% sure Barto will sell 2-3 players to get the money and will bring back Neymar. In that case, we would not have money to sign any other big name. And I have already mentioned several times that we will need at least one center back, left back, defensive midfielder, left winger and central forward. How are we going to get these players without any money?

Some of you here are acting like teenagers, who don't understand anything from finances. Every football fan in Europe knows that Robertson,Alaba and Mendy are the best left backs. But, they cost a lots of money. We are not Liverpool. They have already balanced roster and every year are adding one or two big names, but at 45 - 65 million range. Unlike Barcelona, who pays 120 - 150 millions for "world class" players, who have zero impact to the club. That is because of our idiotic transfer politic. So, just calm down a little bit and look at the reality. Lets pry we won't sign neither of Neymar or Lautaro, so we can have some resources to sign several good players.

JamDav1982

Grimaldo is massively over rate by some Barca fans as they are pissed off he left. Digne was a good back up.

Alaba no one will pay 65m for the year before his contract runs out and regardless the old core of team wont allow Alba to be replaced any time soon.

Mendy is not held up in anywhere near the same regard as Robertson etc and wouldnt be surprised if Pep moves for Alaba this summer.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Alaba would be the perfect transfer for Barca.

You cannot always get that young, early 20s replacement you want. Alaba would give Barca lot of flexibility and allow them to search for a younger successor in the future.

Also a big enough name to send Alba packing, if the manager can stand up to Jordi's whining.

LABarcaFan

With Setien as our coach I don't see anyone replacing Pique, Alba, Busy, Messi and Suarez. That can only happen if anyone of them got injured. So we don't need to look for new LB, when we have so many other needs.

FC433

Very excited to see what he got. I still believe that we should keep him and give him more minutes.

Home of Barca Fans